The Color Red

The Color Red

A Poem by Eradikait
"

The ignorance and loss of bliss.

"

Red never was your color.


You always preferred the darker shades of incognito, hidden underneath autumn leaves.

You were a grand facade: the joker card, donning princely imagery. I swam in lilacs, too transfixed to notice the flags shaking.


They (who's they?) say there is a first time for everything. I remember when your picture invaded my memory:


I was a skeptic, at best. But when your eyes caught mine, my blood warmed with lust. My mind ricocheted. I thought I was drunk, because my lungs swarmed with thirst.  I slid my eyes to the ground, not worthy, they said--your chimera was by far the loveliest I've ever seen.


I don't want to set the world on fire...


So I trenched ankle-deep in permafrost.


"This kind of certainty scares me," I said. You chose not to hear me; instead, you listened to morning dew build on the branches. One day they will break, I thought, and then who's going to save you?


There are few moments in life where a faint daydream turns into tangible actuality. For me, it started with a kiss. I fell into the disarray of bliss, not knowing exactly how to react. You can plan a situation in your mind over and over again, but when the time comes for it to happen, you black out.


They never tell you there is a fear of happiness.


The sky grew dimmer as the moon waned listlessly into a dark chasm. I glanced at your statuesque expression; the glow of youth emitted brightly from your dark eyes and Apollonian features. But where was your heart? Planted in a house of cards?


The tree branches snapped defiantly. I flinched instinctively, yet you didn't even budge. I had to seek shelter elsewhere.


The lilacs wilted in my arms when I left you there.

© 2012 Eradikait


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on August 31, 2012
Last Updated on August 31, 2012
Tags: love, unrequited love, heartbreak, heartache, depression, dejection, poetry

Author

Eradikait
Eradikait

NY



About
Writing is both my passion and catharsis. more..

Writing
Rapture Rapture

A Poem by Eradikait


Katabotic Katabotic

A Poem by Eradikait