A Prisoner in a Safe Place - Part One

A Prisoner in a Safe Place - Part One

A Chapter by Olive Belikov
"

I decided to cut this dream into different parts because of how long it is. Most of it is from what i remember though i did add quite a few things. so the gist of it is real, but some details are not.

"

I'm gonna be late, again. As I rush down the hall, attempting to keep all my notebooks from falling to the ground, I think of what Mr. Hansen will say when i stumble through the door. He’s proclaimed one of the meaner high school teachers and he already has a slight hate for me, considering ‘all the paper I've wasted on late passes’; so he says.

I speed walk around the corner with my head down, searching for a sheet of homework, and look up just in time to stop myself from running into a guy coming the opposite direction. Before i mumble out an apology i cant help but look him over. The guys older, probably mid thirties, and it looks like he hasn't shaved in a few days. His clothes look wrinkled and dirty; i wonder what he could possible be doing in the east wing of the school. All that's over here are classrooms, the office is on the other side of the building.
“Excuse me.” I step out of his way and continue to walk, hearing the bell ring over the speakers, signalling my lateness. Three steps down the hall I hear a deep voice call out from behind me.
“Hey, could you come here for a second? I’ve got a question.” I turn to see the guy who i almost ran into is talking to me. I falter, my mind trying to choose between being even more late to class or helping this guy. The better part of me wins and i put a smile on my face, walking back to him.
“What do ya need? Directions to somewhere?”
“Well i was actually looking for someone, though i think you will work perfectly.” There’s a smile on his face that sends a small chill down my spine. His words confuse me and i strain to keep the smile on my face.
“Umm sure, what can i help you with?”
The man never answers, instead he reaches behind him with one hand and what he pulls out leaves me speechless and so very afraid. A gun. A black, heavy, metal, handgun. My eyes are wide and i can’t pull them off of it as the man points the gun at me. For a moment i think he’s gonna shoot me, right here in the middle of the hallway. But he doesn’t, instead his other hand comes out and grabs my arm. His strength surprises me as he yanks me closer to his body, all of my books and papers falling to the floor. I pull back, fear making me fight against him, but my struggles stop instantly when he shoves the gun into my stomach.
He leans down and roughly whispers into my ear, “If you scream or fight i will shoot you right here and leave you to bleed to death. Then I’ll go around and kill all your little friends. Do you really want that?” I'm too afraid, to stricken to answer him. Instead i just stand there, my heart racing and my hands shaking.
“Now,” he says, pulling back slightly but still keeping his hand on my arm and the gun to my gut. “You have a choice to make. You get to pick which class we’re going to spend the day with.” The man smiles as my eyes get wider. It takes me a second but i realize with disbelieving fear that he wants me to choose which classroom full of kids he takes hostage. My eyes flicker to the class i was about to enter only a few moments ago. Inside i know sits Micah, my boyfriend. He’ll be right there in the first row, listening to Mr.Hansen reading the morning announcements, wondering where i could possibly be this morning. And Sarah, my best friend, is sitting two rows back, snapping gum and doodling in her green sketch book.
“You’ve made your choice then.” His words snap me back to where i stand in the hallway, reality dawns on me as he starts to walk to the door of Mr.Hansen’s classroom, pulling me along with him.
“No,” my voice is pouring with hysteria, pleading with him to stop. “Please not that room. Please. You cant do this.” Tears are only seconds away from spilling out of my eyes. I’ve just put that whole class in terrible danger. Micah and Sarah, if they got hurt i would never be able to forgive myself.
“Shut up,” He says roughly, shaking me a little. “Now, when we get over to the door your gonna knock. If you give even the slightest impression that something is wrong I’ll shoot a hole through your stomach. Do you understand sweetheart?”  
I have to get myself together, i think to myself frantically. I have to be strong for everyone in there; for Micah. I can’t be afraid. “Yes,” I barely am able to get out the whisper, but it’s enough.
“Good.” is all he says as we take the last remaining steps towards the door. And then we’re there. I’m standing in front of the small window, looking at the classroom full of all the people i know. Mr.Hansen stands in the front, gesturing at the blackboard, as all the others sit in their desks.
“Now knock.” I raise a shaking hand, my eyes locked forward, fighting the urge to show any emotion at all. I knock twice, almost to quietly for anyone to hear, but the teacher looks over and sees me standing there. I see Micah glance over at the door, a smile spreading across his face at the site of me. Just seeing him like that makes me want to burst into tears, to scream at him to run away so he wont get hurt. His smile falters a little when i don't return the expression, and a look of confusion replaces it.
As Mr.Hansen motions for me to come in, i pause, my hands unwilling to open the door. “Open it.” The man commands and digs the barrel  of the gun a little deeper into my ribs. I do as he says, turning the knob and pushing open the door. I take a small step in but from behind the man pushes me, causing me to stumble and fall. I hear a chair scrape on the ground as someone stands to help me, but then they stop. I scramble forward a little and turn around, seeing the man standing there with the gun pointed. “Don't move.” He says and shuts the door as he comes all the way in. I follow the guns aim and find it’s pointed at Micah’s chest, who’s half standing behind his desk, a wide eyed look full of fear on his face. A girl lets out a scream and the man turns to point the gun at her.
“Shut up and sit down. All of you! If anyone makes one noise,” He pauses, shifting the guns position until it’s once again pointing at me. “I’ll kill her.” The girl who screamed before lets out a sob but dulls her screams. She’s not the only one I realize has started to cry. Sarah too sits in pure shock, her hand covers her mouth, and she probably doesn't even realize that tears are streaming down her cheeks. Others too, everyone, sits petrified in their desks.
“You,” The man says to Mr.Hansen who’s standing at the front of the room, both hands raised as if he could stop what’s happening. “Get out.”
“No, I will not lea-”
“I said get out!” The man takes two long strides over to me and reaches down to grab the front of my shirt. He spins me around until my back is pressed up against his chest and his arm is rapped around my neck. He’s tall, so as he is standing perfectly strait, I’m on my toes trying to gasp in air; his arm constricting tightly around my throat. The gun comes up and i can feel the barrel pressed against the side of my head, this time i cannot keep the tears from running down my face. Mr.Hansen, a look of pure regret and terror on his face, turns and runs to the door.
“Wait!” the man says, making our teacher pause with both hands on the door handle. “Give me the keys.” Mr.Hansen turns back and cautiously walks over to where we stand. The man leans down a bit, letting his grip on my throat loosen a bit, but not very much.
“Now hold out your hand sweetheart so the nice man can give you the keys.” I do it, my hand visibly trembling as Mr.Hansen lays the keys in my hand. As soon as my fingers are clasping the cold metal keys, our teacher turns and simply walks out the door. As soon as the door clicks into place i can see from where I'm standing as Mr.Hansen sprints down the hallway. But that’s the last i see of him before he rounds a corner and my throat is freed from the mans strong grasp.  
His hand shoves me towards the door, almost making me stumble again but this time i keep my footing. I stand and stare at the man who is currently holding all of our lives in his grasp.


© 2012 Olive Belikov


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love this chapter well written and can't wait for the next one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this chapter it's well written, keeps the reader interested, great job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 16, 2012
Last Updated on March 17, 2012


Author

Olive Belikov
Olive Belikov

MT



About
I am a daughter, a sister, a grand-daughter, a niece, a cousin, a friend. I am a partner, a student, a young girl, and a grown woman. I am confident and scared, terrified and excited. I am loving and .. more..

Writing