Just Make It.

Just Make It.

A Story by Poe Met Emily

I laid on the medical bed clutching my stomach. A sharp pain pushed to the surface. I kept my eyes closed, asking the doctor's to removed whatever the cause was.
I looked at my bloated stomach, the fear washed away instantly. Like a deflated balloon with an object inside, I could see her.
The small infant wiggling, kicking her tiny feet.
"She's not ready," I said quietly, clutching my stomach, tears falling freely. "She's need a little longer."
A few months passed, but I could hold her to my chest. Her frail cries reminded me of a kitten, her size so miniature.
"Look at how beautiful she is," I wept as I watched her wail. "She's here," I cried.
My heart kept swelling the longer I held her, a wave of love I had never felt before.
The doctor's came, and placed her in an incubator. I stayed by her side for three months, watching her fight for her life. Her full head of black hair reminded me of her loving father, but I could only wonder if she would make it; if the strain on my heart was what my mother felt watching over me. If the tears that fell were because I was worried, watching the tubes, the IVs, the monitors. I wondered if she felt any pain, if I could hold her again, if today was the only day she would live.
At nine months, I held her in my arms again.
"Look at how healthy you are," I smiled to her, "So beautiful."
She was quiet, swaddled in a soft blanket, a little pink beanie on her head.
She smiled, my heart melting.

© 2018 Poe Met Emily


Author's Note

Poe Met Emily
This was a dream I had a few nights ago. I don't have dreams of being a mother often, but this one stood with me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on March 14, 2018
Last Updated on March 14, 2018

Author

Poe Met Emily
Poe Met Emily

NC



About
I am a young adult. And all my Poetry is Nonfiction. Anything else, feel free to ask. :] more..

Writing
02 constant 02 constant

A Chapter by Poe Met Emily


03 outside 03 outside

A Chapter by Poe Met Emily