a Seemingly Innocent Affair

a Seemingly Innocent Affair

A Story by taboo.poet
"

a woman has an affair that goes wrong

"
    Against her lovers skin Beth felt invigorated and alive. She had only met Paul three months ago, but she was head over heels in lust with him. They had met at a coffee house in town, both having bought the same old punk rock album. The difference between the two of the though, was that he was still able to live the lifestyle.
   When Beth first saw him, he reminded her of the type of guys she would date when she was in her twenties. He had jet black hair shaved into a slight mo-hawk, horseshoe earrings dangling from his ears, a black leather jacket, baggy dark jeans, and tattoos all up and down his arms. She would later learn that he was a freelance photographer who came and went like the wind, tied down by no responsibilities or commitments. He was exactly who she wanted to embody, but had lost the courage years ago.
   Beth looked the epitome of upper-middle class housewife. She had chest length, chestnut colored hair styled to curve at the ends and little makeup on. Her outfit consisted of slightly baggy Guess jeans, a Ralph Lauren top, and conservative jewelery.
    Years ago she had chosen the the housewife and mother role over her own wants and interests. She assumed that everybody expected her to "grow up", so that's what she did, and Paul seemed to immediately know this. He seemed to pick up on it, the desperation to let loose again. He gave her his number, and told her to call if she ever wanted to have a good time.

   Beth struggled for weeks with that number, trying to figure out whether or not to call. Whenever she felt she would, her husband, son, or daughter would come home. That was all the silent convincing she needed, and she would put her cell phone away. She felt so bad, because Paul embodied everything that Henry didn't. Paul was the kind of guy that Henry would hate, just because he knew that Paul was the type of guy that Beth really needed. But finally a month after meeting him, she mustered her courage, ignored her burning guilt, and called up Paul. The phone rang three times, and just as she was about to hang up, the phone picked up.
   "Who's this?" The voice was scruffy and dangerous. She knew what it could do to her life, but she swore she'd never get caught. Besides, she thought, it's not like he'd ever commit to anything. This will just be a fun rendezvous.
  
"This is Beth, from the coffee house", she said, trying to sound confident, but voice still wavering immensely.
    She was so terrified. What if Henry, her husband, suddenly came home? Or her daughter or son? She would have to hang up. She wouldn't be able to go through with it. She tried taking deep breaths, even as the line seemed to go silent except for a few husky breaths.
    "Hmm...housewife lookin' babydoll?" he finally said.
    She smiled to herself. He hadn't forgotten her.
    "Yes", she said. "I was wondering if we could meet up and maybe do something?" she asked, a new confidence building within her.
    He agreed for the two to meet at a biker bar on the rougher side of town, and then hung up.

    She called Henry to see what time he'd be home, since she didn't want to run into him while she was getting dressed. If her children asked, she could say she was just going out with the girls, but her husband definitely wouldn't fall for that.
    She tried on clothes with the vigor of a teen girl going out on her first date. She could hardly find anything biker bar worthy, but settled on black cowboy boots, a low cut, short black dress, and heavy dark makeup. She made her way to the bar, and that's when things started to get wild.

    She woke up with tipsy memories of dancing on tables, kinky sex, and Paul's knife fight with a man at the bar. All of it felt so vivid and exciting. She hadn't had that much fun since she was twenty, because by twenty five she had been wedded to Henry. Henry was the poster child for good, clean fun, and a preppy lifestyle. He liked going golfing, sailing on his yacht, and making investments. She had had to give up the wild life, but now she felt that she could relive it. She felt like anything was possible.

   Since then, every other weekend and once a week day she'd gone out to see Paul. She was sure nobody knew of his existence, and she intended to keep it that way. Paul wasn't a potential marital partner, she convinced herself, just an outlet. She couldn't do any of the things that she did with Paul with Henry. It seemed she lived a double life at home: cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, and delivering painfully boring sex. She wanted to keep Paul around without anybody finding out. She didn't want to leave her family, just have a second partner. It didn't seem too much of a problem, because nobody seemed to be snooping. Henry seemed clueless as a child, and she hoped he'd stay that way.

   After a long night with Paul, Beth got up to put her purse together and get ready to go. Paul slapped her butt hard as she got up, so hard that she thought it might leave a mark.
   "No leaving marks", she said, an aggravated tone in her voice. "You know I can't get in trouble."
   He watched her as she got dressed, the housewife turned bad girl. She wasn't the type that you'd expect to follow you into a motel room. She didn't look like a drinker or a smoker, and she wasn't, unless she was with Paul. She had changed nothing about her looks since she met him, because she didn't want to arouse any suspicion. She had stayed the same plain Jane mom and wife.
   After Paul lit up a cigarette, Beth leaned across and kissed him goodbye. The kiss became steamy, as Paul rested his hands around her butt. She pulled away playfully, shaking her head and looking at the time.
   "I have to go."
  
   Once she was out of the motel room, it was a brisk ride back to her house in the suburbs. She expected everyone to be out: her daughter, son, and husband, which meant time to herself. She thought of what movie to watch, and had decided upon one once she had pulled into the driveway of her house.
   Once inside, the whole house was dark, and she was happy that things had gone according to plan. As she made her way up the stairs, however, she heard moaning and a slight squeak of their headboard. She stopped dead in her tracks, trying to distinguish what the hell was going on. Her heartbeat sped up, and she felt tears running down her face. She started up the stairs again, sure of what she'd see inside her and Henry's bedroom.
   She swung the door wide open and saw her best girl friend getting pounded against the headboard of the bed by her husband. She was everything that Beth was not, as much as she tried to hide the fact that she wasn't: preppy, born into money, blonde and blue eyed..She was who Henry needed.
   The world seemed to slow to a halt as her so-called friend hung her head in shame, moving to throw a sheet over herself, muttering apologies.
    Henry looked right at her, his gaze unwavering as hurt and anger covered his face. "You can have sex with your dream guy, why can't I do the same?"
   Beth's mouth fell open, shocked as she covered her mouth the muffle sobs. "F**k you", she said, "f**k both of you." As she turned to run down the stairs, the front door swung open, and her two children came in. Startled looks where on their face as they called her came.
   "Well you really did make a f*****g mess of things this time, huh?" Henry yelled, slamming the door to his bedroom.
   Beth just stood at the top of the stairs as her daughter and son came up, asking her what was wrong and if she was okay. She didn't know what to do, but after a few minutes of sobbing she come up with a conclusion. It was a conclusion she never wanted to resort to, because none of this was ever supposed to happen. Henry wasn't supposed to find out. The kids weren't supposed to be hurt. I really did make a mess out of things this time, she thought to herself.
   She looked at her kids, tears running down her eyes. "I'm...I'm going on a vacation for a while."
   They didn't need to be told that vacation meant divorce. They didn't need to be told anything else. Hurt and angry, the walked away.

© 2013 taboo.poet


Author's Note

taboo.poet
Let me know what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A story that is well relatable to all. Excellent job

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 1, 2013
Tags: affair, divorce, sad, family

Author

taboo.poet
taboo.poet

CA



About
I write poems about deep and controversial topics, and sometimes just things going on in my own mind and life. I'm an 18 year old who has been to hell and back and use poetry as a way to heal. more..

Writing
lust lust

A Poem by taboo.poet