Forever Young

Forever Young

A Story by Karissa Selby
"

A girl discovers that remaining young can be as magical as the place she learned it from.

"

            The last few rays of sunlight shine between the leaves of the spacious trees. Red berries don small bushes beside me, and I remember all the time I spent as a little kid, gathering them and making “pie” for my mom. But I’m a big kid now, too old for pretend. In fact, I just went to my friend’s house to paint nails and talk about the older 4th grade boys. It wasn’t as fun as I thought It’d be, but at least I’m acting my age now.

            As I’m about to cross a bridge to get to a paved road, something catches my eye. There’s a path, one that I’ve never noticed before, winding it’s way into the forest. I know I’ll probably get into huge trouble for going off on my own, but my curiosity gets the better of me. Without hesitation, I dart through the trees and out of sight. The brush around me has been trimmed short, so I can tell someone has been here recently. After a few more yards, something comes into view.

            It’s a clearing covered in a layer of emerald grass. Nearly a perfect circle, and completely barren besides a single tree, in which rests a tree house. I’m entranced by the fantasy-like structure, because it seems to be the only thing here with any flaws. The wood is rotting at the edges, graffiti marks the planks, and a single knotted wind chime sways in the dying wind. The sound is haunting.

            Part of me feels the need to climb to the top of the tree house, to be in another world. The part that wants to grow up holds me back, though. Nine is just too old for fantasies. That part of my life is over. Isn’t it?

            While the self debate continues, I stand in the same spot with an ever increasing feeling of being watched. A loud crack comes from somewhere behind the house, where I can’t see. That sound snaps me out of my daze. Whirling around, I prepare to make a run for it. But the small voice that reaches me stops me and sends chills down my spine.

            “Please don’t leave.” It pleads in a tone as soft as the evening breeze. I’m not sure if it’s a girl or a boy’s voice, so I risk turning to look.

            A young child, probably a girl, stands statue-like in the grass only yards in front of me. Who is she? Why is she here alone in the fast approaching night?

            “Who are you” I ask simply, hoping for a simple answer.

            “Just call me… Fawn.” She, I’m sure now, says with a twinkle in her eye.

            We stand there for a moment in silence as I take in her appearance.

            Pixie cut, jet black hair pours down her face. Only one eye shows. Even from almost ten feet away, I can see how strikingly blue her irises are. Full of life, joy, and youth. She’s a tiny thing; couldn’t be older than six either. You'd think she was just a normal kid if not for one thing.

            This Fawn, she stands with the air, the wistfulness of a spirit. She seems to gently float where she is. The smile that rests on her lips tingles my fingertips. I realize I haven’t said anything, and my response comes hastily.

            “Oh, um, I’m Karissa.” I stutter. She giggles, most likely at my awkward reply.

            “Hi Karissa. I was about to climb that tower. Do you want to come?” Fawn asks hopefully. I glance around to find that there is no tower.

            “What tower?” My question comes, slowly. She turns around to point at the tree in the center of the clearing. She must be playing pretend, but I’m too old for that.

            “I’m sorry,” I start, “but I’m a big kid. I don’t play pretend.” Her shoulders tense and she turns back to me.

            “What do you mean by that?” Fawn exclaims.

            “I mean I’m too old to play these kinds of games.” I explain. She shakes her head in what I guess is disbelief.

            “You’re never too old to play.” She assures me, “Please, at least climb the tower with me.”

            Finally, she gets the better of me. I cave.

            “Fine, but then I need to go home.”

            She squeals in delight and rushes over to me and takes my hand. We run to the base of the tree together. Fawn begins to climb one of two rope ladders leading to the tree house.

            “Last one to the top is a rotten egg!” She shouts down to me. A pretty good climber myself, I make it to the house soon after her. I stop to catch my breath.

            “Wasn’t that more fun than being a ‘big kid’?” Fawn inquires. I nod my head. I do miss doing that every day.

            “Let’s go do something else fun!” She laughs. I gladly join her.

            I spend almost three hours with fawn. The sun, oddly enough, never sets while we live in our fantasies. We gather the berries I saw earlier, along with wild onions and leaves, and have a feast with queens, kings, and hansom princes. Then we find perfect sticks to duel with. I win and become a knight with a quick swipe of my sword.

            By the time it came for me to leave, I had tears in my eyes, as did she.

            “It was fun playing together.” Was the last thing she said before disappearing into the trees in the blink of an eye.

            I never saw her again.

            I’ve tried to find the path to this place again many times, but I never have. I've almost told myself that it was a dream, but I know it wasn't. I'll always remember it like yesterday. Just like I remember the sound of the wind chime. A lingering melody of childhood.

© 2012 Karissa Selby


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"and have a feast with queens, kings, and hansom princes." It should be spelled 'handsome' :)
This was a beautifully told story. It was enchanting and I got totally lost within in. Your write so well and your descriptions are so vivid; I felt as if I were right there in that forest.
Well done with this fantastic story!

~Erinne

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karissa Selby

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It means a lot that someone reviewed my work. XD



Reviews

What a cool freakin' story!! This felt like to me like it was a story of meeting Peter Pan in a cornfield of sorts. Everything in the story stayed with the original concept of the setup itself...... born from curiosity, enthusiasm, and the purest joy of testing the boundary of reason with LIVING!! Great job! Beautiful Karissa. xoxo -Mark

Posted 11 Years Ago


"and have a feast with queens, kings, and hansom princes." It should be spelled 'handsome' :)
This was a beautifully told story. It was enchanting and I got totally lost within in. Your write so well and your descriptions are so vivid; I felt as if I were right there in that forest.
Well done with this fantastic story!

~Erinne

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Karissa Selby

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It means a lot that someone reviewed my work. XD

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2012
Last Updated on December 6, 2012
Tags: girl, treehouse

Author