Regret of the Afterlife

Regret of the Afterlife

A Story by Gil
"

Don't wait that thing to disappear before you can see its true value.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Regret of the Afterlife.



While walking in the school yard, strolling at the grassy place, and playing with the hoping little green creature, he glanced and saw Veronika Petrovich, a petite beautiful young lady, calling him from afar.

            “Oh!” he made a gesture that shows he wasn’t aware that she’s already there.

            “Hi!” she said.

            “I thought you would come to school at 8am. What takes you so early?”

            “Yah! I really changed my mind often. “She smiled and laughed.

            “Girls just took everything so simple as if they are likely to change their clothes.” The guy murmured.

            “What? Pardon?”

            “No no! Don’t mind it.”

            The guy moved beside the girl and had his hand at the back of the well ironed blouse of the girl.

            “By the way, do you have something to tell, Nika?” He glanced at her leaving a sweet smile in his face.

            “Well, I do have something to ask from you.” Her face was then painted with sadness as she uttered those words, knowing that the guy will be totally worried.

            “What’s that then? Is there something wrong?”

            “Yah. Ron, I have…” The girl paused for a moment when she heard a great noise from a far.

            Hurriedly, the guy ran away for he was called by their coach to start the regular practice. It would not be complete without him as the star player of the team and used to be the top player in the 23rd Invitational Cup where they would join again as the defending champion.

            “Sorry, I have to go. I will just see you after the practice.”

            Disappointedly, the girl just watched his boy running towards the field. She went home, alone by herself, and crying.

            The day after, Ron called but nobody answered. He tried so hard, but still there’s no sign of Veronika to picked up the phone. So, he just left a message saying:

“Good afternoon Nicka. Where did you go yesterday? I told you to wait for me. I’ve waited for an hour but even a single image from you was not there so I decided to go. Please answer Nicka, I am worried about you.”

            Two days and two nights had passed since the boy called, still Nicka didn’t reply to him.

            “Where’s that girl?” The boy lost his patience. “I didn’t hear any single word from her.”

            The championship day came. Ron excitedly woke up that and have his mind set in the game. He packed his things up, took a sip of his hot brewed Starbucks coffee and went straight to the car and drove as fast as he can.

            At the middle of the road, his phone rang.

            “Hello?”  He picked the phone up.

            “Where are you now?!” an angry voiced person shouted at him.

            “Yes coach, I’m on my. . . WHOOOH!!”

            Suddenly the car went over the other lane and collided with another car, leaving his bloody body, under unstable condition, unconscious.

            “Argh!” With his blurry sight, Ron saw an image of two persons talking and handed something. “Coach? Is that you? Where am I? What’s happening?”

            “Oh! Ron. You’re awake already.” His coach moved towards him. “How’s your feeling right now?”

            “Gosh! Everything… is a glimpse of a second. “Still in the state of shock, he moved out in his bed and sat beside his coach. “But, coach, how’s the game?”

            “Ah! The game?”

            “Yah! Exactly! Was it postponed or we lose the opportunity to win the game?” Ron buried his face right into his palms. “Because of me the team didn’t get the fame and glory with!” and he cried.

            “No Ron!” The coach have his hand around his sad and hopeless son. “It’s okay. Don’t bother it. Wherein fact, the tournament directors had called me earlier that they would postpone the match. But before that, there is something that you should tackle first.”

            From his suitcase, the coach handed a letter of finely designed petals with glitters over it and with a touch of organic.

            “What’s this coach?”

            “Just read it!” “Okay boys, we’ve got to go.”

            “Bye coach, bye fellas. Thanks for the visit!”

            After the team left, Ron started to stare at the letter and tries to figured out what the letter really was.

            Seconds after, it was then Veronika who he thought to give a letter like this. He then immediately opened it, tearing the right end of the envelope, and got the letter, folded three times, inside.

Dear Ron,

                        Hi! How’s the game? By the way, I got the message you left for me and I feel sorry for having you waited for an hour, not just even telling you that I went home. Sorry for that. The truth is I have something to say important to you that day but you are so busy in your practice that’s why I went home and very disappointed. And I decided to write you this letter. It’s hard for me and I felt guilty to live in a secret that I can’t tell you. But this time, before I will or maybe left you, I wanted you to know all about it. Last month, I and my family went to the doctor to consult something because lately I’ve been manifested by some symptoms of a dreaded disease. When the result was issued to us, my world crushed and my family cried a lot. Ron, I have a stage 4 cancer. The doctor said that I won’t live long and there’s no way to cure this disease. I would like to see you before I die. Please kindly see at the back, I write the address of the hospital and my room number.

                       With an everlasting love,

Veronika

Ron abruptly turned the paper with his shaky hands and upon knowing about the condition of his girl, his heart beats faster and his muscle tends to tighten. 

Divine Mercy Hospital. Room 205.

As he read the note at the back, his heart beats even faster, her eyes tears a lot, and his whole body numbs knowing that they are in the same hospital with a neighboring room number, Room 204 of his and Room 205. He then rushed to the door crying loudly as he can. Without any seconds being missed he really tries to see her. Crying, he stood in front of the room. And an old woman came from no where.

“Excuse me sir, are you Mr. Ron Alison?”

“Yes.”

“Please go inside, you are being waited.”

The old woman vanished through thin air after he uttered the last word. He was shocked! Nevertheless, he continued to open the door. Dark, yet he still sees a girl lying cold in bed. Ron cried thoroughly. He gets nearer. Upon reaching he saw that the lying girl wore a ring, the same ring that he gave to Veronika in their 5th monthsary.

“NO!! This can’t be! This is not her! I know, Veronika is alive!” he uttered this words making herself believe that Veronika, her loving girl, was still alive. But, his belief failed him when he saw a note.

“I LOVE YOU, RON!” 

© 2010 Gil


Author's Note

Gil
I just want a fair and productive criticisms.



Reviews

Beautiful.. Pen On.. Do u read mine 2 Time, Why? and who is a poet.. If possible then give ur reviews..

Regards,
Lucky

Posted 10 Years Ago


Gil,

You have presented a well composed love story. There are a few things I would like to recommend but first I have to study it more in depth with consideration of a difference in our diction here in the USA. So give me some time and I will offer my review for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Cecil

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow this was a great story with a sad ending. There was once part near the end wher you said he, and I think it should have been I.

Posted 12 Years Ago


great story. I enjoyed reading it. hope to see more like this. Keep up the great work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2010
Tags: short story, romance, JTS

Author

Gil
Gil

Iligan City, Norther Mindanao, Philippines



About
Hi, I am Gil. That's my writer's name for now. I am an avid short story writer and wanted to publish a book, novel I mean. more..

Writing
Sun Sun

A Poem by Gil


Heaven Heaven

A Poem by Gil


I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

A Poem by Gil