Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by kpie
"

It was funny. … She knew exactly why she'd gotten so upset all of a sudden. The thought of something as important as that book to that woman simply being taken back, as if it never held any meaning …

"

There is a legend that most Mages know, but very few of us believe in.


It is said that the seven elemental Gods came to this world we know as Terra long ago, and encountered the first humans who could use Magic. They witnessed many great things before finally each God selected one Mage to place a blessing upon. Each God chose a Mage who could wield the element they ruled over, and granted that Mage a greater understanding of that element.


In legend, the Gods descend from the heavens once every century to find the Mages who can understand not only their elements and Magic they wield, but show respect for their abilities, their element and themselves - as well as other Mages. Upon finding such a Mage the Gods bless them, and thus a new God Mage is born to reign until their century has ended and the Gods return.


I used to think they were just silly stories, at least until I came to Phoenix Tear two years ago.


"Rin quit playing around the beat that idiot into a pulp!"


Luka was yelling, waving frantically from the top of a bridge overpass; she was watching a battle between the brown headed Flame Mage and a silver haired Illusion Mage that had challenged the Irish male. In all honesty she was growing impatient, they had been toying with one another for the past fifteen minutes and it wasn't a game she was having fun watching. Growling lowly she found herself returning to her position of leaning precariously over the bridge's railing, head resting atop her folded arms. She was a spectator again, just as she had been two years ago when she'd first met Rin … but this time it was different.


In a way, it was boring simply having to sit and watch the battle going on without being able to participate … but she knew the rules, and she wasn't one to put another's pride or hard work at risk by butting in. She found herself following the tattooed man's movements, watching Rin closely as he dodged and countered with flawless grace. His tattoos had been something she'd discovered a few days after she'd been brought to Phoenix Tear - when they'd first met he'd been in t-shirt masked by an open long sleeved button up and had been unable to view the intricate ink that covered most of the young man's body.


His arms were covered, his sides were lined, his legs were partially filled, and half of his back was taken over by various imagery and wording. In the two years knowing the man she'd picked out two favorites: one being a Gaelic styled compass that was positioned over his heart, and the other being the Guild mark - a Phoenix with it's mighty head held high, tears spilling from the depths of it's eyes, and wings folded in a resting sate. She'd learned that every member wore this mark in some way, and Rin was one of the few to take the design to the extreme and have it imbedded within his skin. She bore a silver hair charm hung on a long chain that was tied with a Phoenix Feather worn in the right side of her hair.

It was a reminder that they weren't alone, that even when their pride and will was stretched thin and at it's limit … they had the pride and iron fist of the Guild to draw upon. It was also to remind them that in the haze of battle, mixed in with the road to the top of a Mage's hierarchy, they held not just their own fate … but they held the fate of their Guild and all of it's members within their hands. They had more than just their rank riding on their magical ability. It was comforting, and at times could seem a heavy burden, but she hadn't met a Mage yet that bore the mark of a Guild and regretted it. … A Guild was your family after all.


"About damn time he got serious …" Smiling lowly the 23 year old female focused on the familiar crimson and orange aura that danced around her comrade's hands. It's strength and magnitude had grown since two years ago - he'd reached B-Class where as he'd been stuck in C-Class back then. The Flames that danced around were smoother, livelier, and packed much more heat than they had back then. … It was almost frightening to watch him sometimes, seeing him moving so far ahead of her, and reaching a level she simply couldn't attain with her abilities in her current state. She had just reached C-Class a few days ago after all …


"Oi, Luka you're going to fall if you keep leaning forward like that!" Rin was yelling, excitement sparking within his accented tone as he returned his attention back to the man advancing upon him. He'd only faced a few Illusion Mages, and they most certainly weren't his favorite to do battle with. They were hard to locate, and took time he didn't like wasting to see through their mirages; in his experience he'd found more often than not that an Illusion Mage would find a hiding spot, and remain there the duration of the battle whilst their Magic did all the work. It was a magical art he disliked, he preferred using his hands to bend his abilities to his will; it would be a boring life to simply sit back and watch, never experiencing the thrill of actually being in the middle of a battle.


"Your attention should be on me, not that wench!"


The silver headed Mage was hissing, agitated at the fact the Flame manipulator had finally located his hiding spot. He'd been comfortable in his sitting position, and now he was having to actually dodge. The man's blue eyes narrowed, teeth clenching as a whisper slipped through their worn enamel. His hands were engulfed in a bright purple aura that danced and appeared to mimic the burning embers that they'd stopped mid punch. "Focus on your fight!"


"I'm focused enough to see through those pathetic imitations." Rin grinned, sparks flying as the lowly roaring embers exploded into a frenzy of heat and combustion. They overtook the purple aura, eating it, before advancing up the Illusion beasts' forearms.


"S**t." It burned, and it certainly wasn't a feeling he enjoyed … however he found himself locked in place thanks to his opponents clenched fists around his shirt sleeves. Mako, the B-Class Mage from a Guild known as Raven Cry, found himself caught between a rock and a hard place … and he didn't have a good idea on how to get out. His Illusions were useless if he was being held down, and even more so if they ended up effecting him as well as their target. Blue gaze jerking in panic it watched as the Flames devoured his arms and began moving onto his torso, and that's when he'd found himself at his limit. The wind was knocked from his lungs, and all he could manage to do was watch as his body flew limp, shocked, towards a beam of the overpass.


Regaining a steady footing, the 25 year old Flame Mage watched as if expecting the man he'd just kicked to reappear at any moment completely unscathed. The silence ebbed on for a good two minutes before his shoulders finally relaxed, chocolate eyes lowering to the man's unconscious body that had landed a few feet away. "I apologize for taking your win …" Releasing a breath he'd been holding the Irish male snapped his fingers, sending a bright flash into the heavens before reaching out to catch a crystal within his palm. Opening his hand he stared, eyeing the fragment before pulling a partially formed key from his pocket.


Just 991 fragments until he reached A-Class, then he had the final 1021 stretch before he could finally open the door of the Tower of Cosmos and meet with the Magical Council. That was when he would be put to the test, and if he passed he would earn his S-Class ranking.


Then, and only then, could he face that man again …


"Hey, Rin! If you don't snap out of his we're going to miss the train!"


Head jerking up he found himself slightly started, chocolate gaze locking with the amused set of greens from above. Half-grinning he waved, "I'm coming, I'm coming!" Without another word he turned on his heel, and broke into an all out run towards the sloping road that would lead upwards towards not only the waiting female … but the town just over the hill. They had been on their way to the train station to head out of town on a job when Mako had appeared and challenged him. He, and Luka both, had been overdue for a job with a decent payout recently … after all rent was getting closer and closer to being due, and Pearls didn't simply multiply by themselves. He'd been watching the notice board in the town square for days …


Luka met him half way, matching his pace as they continued towards the town. Glancing over she smiled halfheartedly, brows knitting together slightly, "You did tell Master we would be back in a few days this time … right? I'd rather not be frozen for two days with a strange look upon my face when we return this time …"


"Yeah, I told the old geezer … not that he listened much, he was too busy watching porn in his office."

For some reason the image of her Guild Master, eyes glued to a screen whilst naked women danced around … it was like catching your parents doing it when you walked in the door. It was frightening. Then again, the fact he was a man in his seventies that looked in his early thirties didn't help the uncomfortable feeling welling up in his subconscious … great now she felt like stabbing her eyes out. "Thank you for that lovely mental image, Rin."


He couldn't help himself. Rin grinned, chocolate orbs gaining a shine of immature glee, "Luka … were you just picturing the Master whipping his thing around? You really are a pervert."


"B*****d, take that back!" Without waiting for his rebuttal she'd clenched her fist, allowing the collecting aura of a pale silver to grow before slamming it into her comrade's side. She watched as he simply took the blow laughing, allowing himself to slide a few feet towards the opposite side of the street before joining back in step with her. "I mean it, Rin!"


That had honestly hurt a bit … "You know I'm just playing around Lu, jeeze. You're still a literal bird …" Allowing himself a few more laughs at her expense, Rin turned round a corner and was shortly followed by the infuriated girl. He found himself wanting to change the subject, her upset with him wasn't something he was very fond of. "You have the tickets?"


"Yeah, though I should rip yours up …" Pulling the two slips from the back pocket of her skinny jeans she waved them, accentuating the threat enough to silence the brown head running on her right. She spotted their terminal and pointed enthusiastically, "Look we didn't miss it!"


"Have a bit more faith in me, I'm not that slow of a runner …" Not waiting for a response the Flame Mage reached over, snatching his ticket away from her hands, before charging head first into the terminal. He passed over the ticket whilst leaping over the rotating entry gate, and proceeded towards the boarding train at the platform in front of him.


"I apologize …" Smiling softly Luka paused, waiting patiently for both of the tickets to be punched before following after her partner within a few moments. Voice rising in agitation she found herself hissing, "Rin you could have gotten yourself thrown out!" He was ignoring her sensible statement as usual, something that she managed to let go with a deep breath before following after the 25 year old down the center isle. She waited for him to enter their compartment before following and closing the door. "Really … you're like a three year old."


Rin shrugged, enjoying himself at her expense as he sank into a sit beside the window. It wasn't that he didn't know how to act … it's just he'd like to see her laugh about it instead of scold him for once. Pausing he spotted a woman outside of the train, blinked, then turned his attention to the black headed female in front of him. "Hey, Lu … isn't that Mia?"


Luka instantly tore her attention out the window, searching frantically for a familiar blonde bob haircut on a short girl. She spotted her finally, pulling a bag towards the station's exit; she looked as if she'd just gotten back in town, "I guess she finished her job earlier than she expected … pity I didn't get to say Hello to her …" Mia was a Stellar Mage, and one of which Luka had gotten rather close to over the past two years. She'd developed a friendship with many of the Mages in the Guild, but Mia was one of her closer friends. In fact Mia had been the Mage that she'd entrusted her Mother, Serah's, Zodiac keys too only a few months ago.


"You'll just have to spend some time with her when we return." Yawning, the Flame Mage stretched before adjusting himself to lean against the window's pane. He always got sleepy when he traveled anywhere without walking, it was something he couldn't avoid … but it was something he really disliked depending on the company. "Any information on our job?"


"I figured out where the book we have to get is … but it seems to be in a Guild library in Tulle. I suppose we'll have to figure out how to get it once we get to the city, but I can't help but feel that we're going to have to end up stealing it. … I'm not to thrilled about that, even if the reward for it's return is enough to pay our rent." She found herself looking out the window, watching the few people crossing the platform leisurely; she knew how Rin got on long rides, and in a way she was grateful for it. Sometimes she really did run out of things to talk about with him, at least that were entertaining for his attention span.


"I'm more interested in why it would be in a Guild Library to begin with … and why this guy is hauling out such a handful for it to begin with. He said it was an important family heirloom, but even so I can't see shelling out 900 pearls for a book."


"I don't know really, but apparently it belonged to someone he cared about a great deal. … I can understand in a way." Luka's voice was soft, eyes locked on a woman and her child walking down the platform to board the train. She remembered a time when she'd have given anything for a set of keys …

Chocolate gaze changing course Rin found himself watching the set of greens eying the other inhabitants of the city of Marle. She always had this annoying crease in her brow when she was thinking about something that was uncomfortable for her, and when he saw that line he often found himself wishing he knew what she was thinking. After getting to know her he'd learned that one of the few things that made her uncomfortable were emotional situations, which meant she was probably letting her mind wander to something she didn't need to think of currently … "Oi, Lu …"


"I wonder if it's snowing in Neol still … it use to snow until the middle of March when I was little …" Voice drifting she laughed uncomfortably, pushing the thought away as her attention returned to the boy in front of her. Despite herself, Luka paused, slightly taken off guard by the strange glow filling his usual cheery eyes. "Rin?"


"Maybe, oh well … as long as we get the book and get paid I don't care about it's back story." Yet again wanting to change the subject however more direly at this current time, Rin grinned nonchalantly, "So, what shall we eat when we get to Tulle? I hear they're really popular for their fish since it's a costal city … not that you'd be eating any, but I wouldn't mind it."


"Honestly thinking of food at a time like this …" He never ceased to amaze her … or cause her to doubt his sanity at some points. "Fine, we can get you some damn fish, you glutton."


There was a time when I was always happy, and never had to think of a reason to laugh openly about anything. Then I came to a point in my life where I didn't want to laugh. I didn't want to do anything but remain stagnant in a place where no sunshine reach me.


Someone pulled me out of that place, and helped me learn how to laugh again … yet I found myself unable to be as carefree as I'd once been in my younger years. It was then that I decided that I wouldn't ever let someone slip into that empty hole I'd been in for so long without sunshine, alone, and completely empty. … Maybe that's why when I saw you back then … you reminded me of my younger self; it was a sight I didn't like in the least, and one I was determined to fix before it got worse.


I couldn't just leave you there with that look on your face, and those tears spilling out to mix with the rain, after all …


Ever since that day, Luka … I can't stand to see even a hint of sadness within you. It makes a fear well up within my being, clawing it's way up from the deepest recesses of my soul. A fear that this time, just maybe, I won't have the strength to pull you back from that hole.


The fear that I might lose you …


"S**t, this really isn't an ideal situation."


Honestly, what had they gotten themselves into this time? The two Phoenix Tear Mages were back to back in a small hallway, two Mages of a Guild known as Chrysanthemum blocking their exit on either end. They'd managed to get into the Guild's Library and grab the book they'd been sent for, managed to get by a few security measures and yet here there were … stopped in the last hallway before the exit with no windows, no doors, and only one way to the outside world.


Luka whined, desperately searching for something they could use to their advantage in this situation. However no matter how she saw it, no matter how she worked it in her mind, they were the two at fault. They had knowingly entered another Guild's Library, stolen a book from within it, and were attempting to flee the scene. She really didn't want to have to fight these two Mages … but at this rate if they didn't do something soon they would drag their Guild's name even farther through the mud for being caught in the first place. "Master is going to be so pissed … he'll kill us, or worse! He'll put us in limbo and I'll have to deal with you 24/7 for a century!"


"You kind of do that anyway … Lu …" Rin glowered, emphasizing the fact that they shared the same townhouse. "So it really wouldn't be much of a difference besides you being my only form of entertainment …" His voice trailed off, deciding to attempt to lighten the situation by making a crude joke, "… Meaning we'd have to get to know one another a bit better …"

"You finish that sentence and I'll use you to unblock that end of the hallway, and leave your a*s here you fiend."


Rin smiled; well that was a good enough response he supposed … "Oi, you planning on letting us through any time soon? I'd rather not have to use force …" He was speaking to the woman on his end of the hallway, however the look in her narrowed honey colored eyes wasn't comforting. No, they weren't planning on letting them through at all …


"Did a man name Lucas send you here for that book …"


Luka was the one to jerk her head, locking eyes with the blonde woman standing in front of the exit. Something about her tone … something about the way she'd said their employer's name - she would know that emotion anywhere. Lowering her voice she nudged Rin, "Switch places with me, and keep this guy back here entertained … I might be able to talk to her."


"I certainly hope you have a damn good trick up your sleeve …" He spoke, already beginning to turn to switch places with her.


"Just trust me, damn it Rin!"


"I do, that's why you're facing that blonde." Without another word he fixed his attention on the black headed male now in front of him. This guy was ready to leap and attack at a moments notice, all he had to do was hear a word from the woman it would seem … that probably meant that she was … "S**t, I'd rather not fight a Guild Master, Luka …"


She ignored the whisper behind her, locking eyes with the woman, "Yes … he said it was an important heirloom of his families that had been stolen. He wished for us to get it back."

The woman seemed taken aback by the words she'd spoken, something that confused the 23 year old Wind Mage slightly. This woman clearly was the one that had taken it … but …


"I can't allow you to leave with that book …" The woman shook her head, back straightening as if to brace herself for an attack.


"… Do you mind me asking why?" Luka watched as yet again the woman was taken off guard, however her attention was pulled away from a loud crash from behind her. Spotting the Irish male she felt an instant need to hit him over the head … He'd tackled the man blocking the other end of the hall and the two of them appeared to be wrestling. "Rin … really …?"


"That book … it's important and I can't allow you to take it."


Remembering her goal, Luka returned her focus to the woman for a brief moment; she paused thinking over the words before looking down to take in the book's details. It looked like a simple novel, old and poorly bound, and without any defining features besides the gold title that was printed along it's spine 'Dearly Beloved'. Fingers tracing the edges she managed to flip the pages open, and instantly her eyes widened. … This book, it wasn't …


"I'll ask you once more to hand it over, and I'll let the two of you leave here peacefully. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to …" The woman's voice was cut short by the set of mossy orbs locking with her own once more. She noticed it then - understanding in the younger lady's gaze, "Please … the contents of that book are important to me."


"Rin, we're leaving, come on." Luka closed the book advancing towards the woman and reaching out to place it within her hands. She pause a moment, "Is there anything you'd like me to tell Lucas for you Renee …?"


"Tell him I'm sorry … please … for everything."


Nodding Luka passed the woman, heading for the closed door in front of her, "I'm sure he'll understand … after all …" Her voice trailed off, gaze drifting back to the book, "It's important to both of you, right? I know he'll understand."


Rin had stood, beyond confused at the situation however obediently followed after the 23 year old girl without asking any questions. He glanced towards the book, catching the changed state in the woman clinging to it's tattered pages, before slipping through the front door in silence. Hitting the night air he noticed his companion, stopped a few paces away, and instantly rushed over, "Mind telling me how the hell we're getting paid?"


"That book, Rin … it's not just a book. We couldn't take something like that, something that she cared for so much … especially not after seeing what was inside of it. We'll have to get paid some other way."

"I don't give a s**t if that book held the recipe for the elixir for eternal life … that's a bullshit decision, Luka! Our employer wanted that book returned, something that had been stolen from him, and it's our job to get it back damn it!"


That was it, she couldn't hear another word. "It wasn't stolen from him, you idiot! He gave it to that woman - that book was filled with love letters they'd written one another!" Despite herself she'd been unable to mask the anger rising in her voice, hell she was barely able to hold back the tears brimming at her eyelashes. Honestly, this idiot made her so furious sometimes … "I can't take something like that from her, something that was a gift from someone she loves very much! I can't take something she treasures so much simply because the man who gave it to her says it's stolen and he wants it back! You can't just take something like that back!"


He felt belittled standing there, mouth agape, and eyes large at the sharp outburst from the small girl. Such a thing, there was nothing he could say to that to make what he had been snapping correct … s**t he was in a worse situation that he'd been in inside of that place. Rin shoved his hands into his pockets, growling lowly before beginning to walk towards the main road of the city, "Fine, to hell with the book, and that lying b*****d that sent us for it."


Jeeze, he'd pissed her off to the point of nearly making her cry. Not ideal at all.


Luka watched, mind catching up with her sanity finally as she slipped back down to earth. "Rin … hey wait a minute I didn't mean to …" Now she'd done it … she really hadn't meant to snap like that but for some reason … Breaking into a run she managed to catch up with him quickly, and reached over trying to latch onto his arm. "Rin … please don't ignore me like that …"


"It's fine I said, what more do you want me to do?" Looking over his gaze was harsher than he'd wanted it to be. Sighing he stopped, instantly feeling guilty by the sharp pain that had illuminated her eyes from his glare. "Look, I get it alright … I'm just pissed about the money." Shifting on his heel he found himself eyeing the moon, watching it's full silvery orb as if it could grant him sanctuary, "Really … I'm not upset with you, I'm upset with that man."


"I'll find a job that will cover rent, I promise. It's my fault so I'll take care of it … alright? Please just don't be mad …" She really hated when he was mad, especially with her - even if he said he wasn't. It was her fault, so naturally why would he be upset with anyone else?


Reaching his hand out to push down upon her head, Rin sighed, "Fine. You owe me an a*s load of fish though, and you have to let me win at that damn video game of yours for a week."


Laughing Luka nudged the hand from her head, "A week might be pushing it, now." Before she'd managed to say another word she froze, eyes locked on the man's face. It had changed, something had slipped into it and sparked through for a moment before he'd caught it and pushed it back. It made her gut clench, something only made worse when she felt a familiar warmth slip through to aggravate the silver ornament within her hair. "I'll treat you to fish."


"Besides, you're right, Lu. You can't just take something like that back … " Rin smiled softly, fingers brushing over the bright orange and yellow feather that stood out from the girl's hair. He slipped his fingertips over it a final time before pulling away, and shoving his hands into his pockets once more, "And a picnic. … Let's get some fish and picnic in that big park they have in the center of town; they're supposed to have fireflies - I'd like to see them." Without another word he pressed on, gaining a few paces ahead of her.


Agreeing silently Luka pulled her hands back to her person, watching her companion for a moment. Her right hand had lifted and began playing with the feather tied within her hair, almost as if it were second nature as her feet began slowly taking her on the path he'd just crossed. Eyes adverting she sighed smiling softly to herself, "Alright, I'll treat you to fish, a picnic, and fireflies … and maybe I'll considering you beating me at that game - just once."


It was funny. … She knew exactly why she'd gotten so upset all of a sudden. The thought of something as important as that book to that woman simply being taken back, as if it never held any meaning … the thought of that simply being taken …


It was unbearable.



© 2012 kpie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on March 8, 2012
Last Updated on March 8, 2012
Tags: fantasy, magic, magical, comic, manga, young adult, fiction, action, adventure, romance, growth, feel good, sorrow, humor


Author

kpie
kpie

SC



About
Hello, I'm Kris. I'm pretty androgynous. You may know me as wrymon, or Hiri-Chan. I like sleeping, video games, and being lazy. I dislike the rain, green, and I'm pretty sarcastic. I have a short .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by kpie


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by kpie


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by kpie