THE KEEPERS OF DENIAL (Sestina)

THE KEEPERS OF DENIAL (Sestina)

A Poem by kublakhan27
"

Sestina number one :) 01 12 13

"
Was it just another save?
Another imprint on the end of the defence?
Silence in the anti-spectrum of the shot?
Pink and purple tattooed the open-ended face
proudly substituted for the first mask,
blotting out the condescension of a goal.

Not that we ever pondered on a goal,
for we condescended just as much with a save.
Not that you would have seen the eyes in the flesh of mask;
I reckon our own defence -
those privy to their partners' open-ended face -
would be hard-pressed to see the squint behind a black-eye-candy-coated shot.

Broken cheek? A battle scar for which we thanked a shot.
Still you wouldn't know a save for a goal
on whatever canvass wrapped our face.
No elation notified the cheap seats of a save
and no beauty greeted our defeated defence,
beat and bailed out by the cheek bone of a mask.

Our chins and jaws were like nuts saved to cash in for a nutcracker. See, the mask
embodied many parts securing an inevitable parting shot.
The most poetic constitution couldn't author a defence
against the crime of a back-breaking goal.
No spine remained to sport on any subsequent save;
by then, a saved puck didn't save face.

Circumstantial artistry defined the degrees to which we chose to face
the so-called facts.  Some have said a mask
wasn't donned to save
our senses from a spiteful shot
but to make generic the reaction to a goal.
Some wondered, are we nursing team or psychological defence?

Colour any black and white system of defence
you tend to lean to after going face-to-face
with the physical salvation of a goal
and the alternative.  How many would decline a mask
when the alternative is the despondent draft from a shot
snuffing out the stoic glory of what's never just another save?

Maybe my retirement will render the dimensions of defence relative behind the mask.
But retirement will not quell the need to bear my face in the presence of another shot:
frozen rubber set aflame by the friction of a goal against a save.

© 2013 kublakhan27


Author's Note

kublakhan27
And now for an agonizingly long comment section: first, a quick history lesson for those unfamiliar with hockey or hockey lore:

On November 1, 1959, Jacques Plante of the Montreal Canadiens became the first goalie to wear a mask full-time after a shot ripped - not cut, ripped - his face from the corner of his mouth to the bridge of his nose. At a time when goalies took courageous pride in playing bare-faced - and were expected to play as such - he took a lot of heat for the decision, as everyone from his coaches to fans to his own goaltending brethren questioned his courage. Over the years, masks became artistic vehicles for goalies, who often had them painted with images that reflected their personality. Goalies are by far the most stoic, superstitious, and cerebral players in the game; they don't celebrate after a goal like scorers do, and for these tendencies are generally considered to be quirky characters.

Now a note on the poem itself: this little darling has been all over my notebook in the last month or so...I've wanted to write one of these for literally years now, and I'll tell you, they are not easy, hence the decision to write one around a topic I'm familiar with...it does indeed have some clumsy bits but for now I'm just relieved to have finally done it. Most of this was written under a cloak of sickness that I am yet to successfully shed...I swear that if you get sick in the Winter, you don't truly get better till Spring comes...the circumstances do not allow for a swift recovery, at least not for me...

For the record, that is my mask in the photo.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You were correct, the subject matter was difficult for me as I do not know a thing about hockey other than the fact that it is played with sticks and a puck. BUT I think you did very well in your sestina, and what I like a lot is that you were able to stay poetic and philosophical in this even though the subject and form are more technical. You did a wonderful job, thank you for sharing this with me!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Ashira, I really appreciate you taking the time to read it, especially when I knew it.. read more
Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Always my pleasure to admire your art my friend!


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

You were correct, the subject matter was difficult for me as I do not know a thing about hockey other than the fact that it is played with sticks and a puck. BUT I think you did very well in your sestina, and what I like a lot is that you were able to stay poetic and philosophical in this even though the subject and form are more technical. You did a wonderful job, thank you for sharing this with me!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Ashira, I really appreciate you taking the time to read it, especially when I knew it.. read more
Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Always my pleasure to admire your art my friend!
Cool mask...cooler poem! It's rare to see something as so original, innovative and out of this world! The difficulty posed in writing sestinas only adds to the wonder. Awesome job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

So glad you enjoyed it, many thanks :)
Gleb Zavlanov

10 Years Ago

It was my pleasure. Your words are truly exotic.
My friend, I suppose this could be considered, "Saving face". I like the thought about not seeing the anguish of the goal in the goalies face because it is hidden. I know some about hockey, though not as much as I should, but I do understand this and I liked the explanation of the reason for the first mask. But also, hiding somewhere in here is our own truths and what we keep hidden behind these masks we wear.

FYI - My mask is in my photo to the left, I know it's not the best choice, but it comes in handy at halloween. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

You hit the nail perfectly on the head my friend. This is more of a psychological piece than anythi.. read more
You're so Canadian. lol. As to the non-literal meaning--amen--if you are going to face the world and all it throws at you head on, nothing wrong with a little safety equipment. Stay tuned, next week I am writing a poem about wheat. I kid. I love Canadiana.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Haha yep, whatever meaning you use to define a Canadian, that would be me. I do love it simply beca.. read more
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Sometimes it takes one to know one.
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Very true.
That's why I didn't quite understand the terminologies. I never knew anything about hockey. ;) But hey, I think you have excellent wordcraft. ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Haha Thank you Blue :)
A difficult form indeed. This and the Petrachan sonnet are probably my most dreaded forms...had to write many in school and I detested each one. So, for this form alone I give you major kudos. As for the piece...I quite liked it. I don't know much about hockey, but I think that this has given me a little more insight. Well done, my friend!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Haha yeah I had the whole form worked out in a diagram and I spent as much time looking at that diag.. read more
great write loved it man

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Thank you my friend.
Thumbs up....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gud 1 dear!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kublakhan27

11 Years Ago

Thanks very much^^
Zizzy Douglas

11 Years Ago

.,
Interesting write. Quite frenetic I think. Almost a stream of consciousness I would say. I know little about hockey but I believe what you say here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1055 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 3, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013
Tags: goalie, hockey, mask, defence, shot, save, goal

Author

kublakhan27
kublakhan27

Nova Scotia, Canada



About
My first book is out! Any comments that anyone may have to offer regarding my work would be deeply appreciated, as I'm yet to get a review. www.amazon.com/Waltz-Around-Swirls-Steven-Fortune/dp.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..