Midnight Star

Midnight Star

A Chapter by Wingless Fallen Angel

The grunt I make as air rushes out of my mouth due to my being slammed into the mat on my back is fairly quiet. My opponent, a massive, hulking, bear of a man smirks at me and at our audience. As the stars fade from my vision, I roll silently to my feet. His back was to me, gloating to the crowd. I swing my leg out and tumble him to the ground with a well placed kick. I spring into action and pin his arms behind his back and lean down to whisper, "Never turn your back on your opponent." I stand and stride out of the arena. My name is Summer Winters, and my life is much more than the fighting arena. Because the arena is in the gym. The gym is part of a school. And the school's students are... different. Different's a nice way to put it. We're freaks, anomalies in the human race, because we're NOT human. I'm a faery. Partly, anyway. My father was. My mom was a shapeshifter. When my father found out about me, he took off, not wanting a commitment like that. My mom dumped me on the steps of the Academy as soon as I was born. I grew up. And recently, I've been informed there's a prophecy. About me. And the end of the world. Nothing much. I basically says that the world will explode is a big huge boom unless I find my soulmate. This happens August 15th, 2013. It's May 30th, 2013 today. 
No pressure, right?


© 2013 Wingless Fallen Angel


Author's Note

Wingless Fallen Angel
Wrote this is 6th or 7th grade. Whatcha think? Changed the year on the dates.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great opening to a book. The idea for this is bizarre, in a good way. It's totally different than I could imagine and it works. The writing style is really good. The first person narrative helps us connect with the character nicely. The ending of this chapter is steller. It tells us what is going to happen without telling us what is going to happen (if that makes any sense). It gives us a context of how long this story is going to take place over. Nothing, but the end of the world at stake. No pressure at all. :) Thank you for submitting this to my contest. Best of luck in future writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! This means a lot. :)
that was good but make sure you check your spelling fairy was spelled wrong and you should make more and make it a book

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Fairy can be spelled like this or like faery, depending on the context used. Thank you much for your.. read more
Great beginning! I could feel the "Doomeness" :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


please write more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's a wonderful way to write a text like this and you've done it so fluently! I too am a teen writer, congrats on this piece of writing I hope you continue! And btw I love the character's name :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Hehe! Thank you so much! I have been thinking about continuing, and had the second chapter started, .. read more
Wow. You are the best writer. Amazing, just like all your other work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It is really well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
That's so good, especially for that age! Only suggestion: Turn "His back was to me, gloating to the crowd" to present tense.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Yeah. Trying to write in first person and present tense, out of my normal style. Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 4, 2013
Last Updated on March 12, 2013
Tags: book, beginning


Author

Wingless Fallen Angel
Wingless Fallen Angel

Lake Ann, MI



About
I'm Wingless Fallen Angel, obviously. Call me WFA, Wingless, Fallen, Angel, or any combination of the above! I love to write and read and not do arithmetic. I'm open to talk to you, about whatever. Me.. more..

Writing