McCasslan Murder Mystery

McCasslan Murder Mystery

A Story by Wingless Fallen Angel
"

Wrote last year for English class.

"
Ash was sitting at his desk, trading jokes across the hall with Lupe when Kathryn strode over. “Ash, Lupe! We’ve got a murder in Atwood Hills. Let’s go!” Ash stood up in perfect sync with Lupe. It was a warm, sunny, summer day. Ash was almost annoyed with the murder. He sighed but got in the black car with Kathryn, Lupe, and Quinn. They were there in a matter of minutes. It was clearly a very rich area. The houses were nice and the lawns were groomed and green. Ash and Lupe followed Kathryn as she strode into the house. There was a person -a woman- Ash realized. She had her head in her hands and was crying. Kathryn slid into a chair across from her. “Maya, can you tell us what you found?” Maya that must be her- nodded slowly. 
“Yes. I woke up this morning and came downstairs. I made breakfast, and then I called Hadrian, but he wasn’t answering. So I walked into the living room, where Hadrian spent most of his time. And… I found him. With a bunch of broken furniture and glass and…” Maya broke off, crying heavily again. Lupe came up behind her and put her hands on Maya’s shoulders. 
“It’s horrible, I know, but can you try and finish?” Maya swallowed and nodded again. 
 “It looked like a fight. Hadrian had a few bruises, and he was really bloody. I called the police immediately. I was so scared.” She shuddered and crossed her arms across herself protectively. Lupe nodded. “Thank you. We appreciate it.” Lupe then backed up one step, whirled around, and motioned to Ash. He was jolted into motion. Kathryn led Maya out. Lupe strode in. “Alight, Quinn, what do we have?” Quinn turned around.
“Well, we have a fistfight ending with a knife through the back in what we have. Looks like Mr. Hadrian has-had- an enemy.” Ash nodded, taking in the scene. There was broken glass, broken furniture, and… wait, the china cabinet, in the far corner, was untouched. 
He cocked his head slightly and then said, “Quinn, do you know why the china cabinet is untouched? As in, in one piece?” Quinn turned and shrugged in dismissal. 
“Who knows? Maybe -probably- the fight didn’t go over there.” 
Lupe had noticed too, apparently. “Well, all the furniture in that area is damaged. Why not the cabinet?” Ash had pulled out his camera and was taking pictures. He spotted some blood stains where there was broken furniture and glass. He looked around and found a broken window. Ash picked his way around the array of debris to that. He snapped some pictures then found something peculiar as he turned around to get back. There was a dress shoe there. It looked like it belonged to a teenage girl. 
Ash bent over and called, “Lupe! Quinn!” They both hustled over. He pointed to the shoe. Lupe looked puzzled. 
“That’s a girl’s shoe. Our body is not a girl, and the killer was at least full grown, male or female. This is a teen’s shoe.” Ash nodded. 
“I know,” he said patiently, “that’s why I called you guys over. I’m wondering… if we have a missing witness.” Ash, Lupe, Quinn, and Angel were sitting at their desks, shortly after returning. They were all searching for the missing witness. There were no missing teens in that area reported. Angel suddenly realized something. 
“Maybe… We’re searching the wrong database.” She got a few funny looks, mainly from Ash. She sighed in frustration. “I mean, maybe we should look if there were any children born to families in that area in the past 11-18 years! Duh.” She looked it up. “Yep. Hadrian and Maya McCasslan had a daughter. Name’s Thea McCasslan. She’s fifteen and goes to Windy Bay High School.” Kathryn had come down at that moment. 
“Well, what are you sitting around rattling off facts we don’t need to know?” 
Angel shouted, as Kathryn was sweeping out with Lupe and Ash, “She’s in tenth grade!” When they arrived at the school, Kathryn walked in. Ash put his sunglasses on and winked at Lupe. She rolled her eyes. They both hurried after Kathryn. School just got out and the kids gave the agents a wide berth. Ash took the lead and led them to the principal’s office. 
“Been here plenty,” he said mysteriously. Lupe sighed and shook her head. Kathryn shifted to lead as they walked into the office. The principal looked up. 
“We’re here about Thea McCasslan.” The principal looked at them and gestured to chairs. Ash and Lupe sat down uncomfortably, and Kathryn just sat down. The principal spoke. 
“She’s been missing for a day. It was today she didn’t show up. We didn’t know why, but we assume she’s sick.” Kathryn shook her head sadly. 
“She’s been kidnapped, her father murdered.” The principal gasped in horror. 
“No, not Thea, not Hadrian!” Kathryn nodded. 
“Did Thea or Hadrian have any enemies here? Were any parents unfriendly toward the McCasslan family? Any children unusually mean to Thea?” 
She shook her head. “No, Thea was a sweet, charismatic girl. Hadrian did have a few old school rivals with children here. Only one of them really, truly hated Hadrian. His name was Ben Ponsda. But nobody disliked Thea. And Hadrian’s rival wouldn’t kill him or capture his daughter, considering Thea and Lisa are best friends. Their fathers might have hated each other, but Thea and Lisa…” she trailed off. 
Kathryn stood and nodded. “Thank you for your time.” “It’s nothing, if anything I said helped you at all.” The principal stood with them. “I’ll walk you out.” 
“That won’t be necessary.” Lupe replied swiftly, pointedly looking at Ash. He smiled and then the trio of agents walked out. Lupe stared out the windshield. She and Ash were supposed to try and find Thea while Kathryn and Angel brought Mr. Ponsda, Lisa’s father, in for questioning. 
Ash frowned minimally and then said, “I know where to start!” Lupe glanced at him. She was driving. “Where would you hide a teenage girl?” Lupe gave him a really funny look, then shrugged. Ash laughed. “You put her in with a bunch of other teens! Where’s the closest school, other than Windy Bay?” 
Lupe thought for a moment, and then replied, “Black Lake High School. Of course! Wow Ash, didn’t know you could ever have a good idea.” 
“They come every now and then. Turn here. Left. NO, your other left!” Lupe glared but turned the correct way and there it was, Black Lake High. Ash swung out and Lupe just climbed out. They glanced at each other and walked in. They found a teacher on lunch break and showed him a picture of Thea. “Have you seen this girl?” He nodded. 
“Right over there.” He pointed, and there was a girl who looked like Thea, remarkably, but that wasn’t her. Lupe smiled. 
“Thank you.” She turned and strode off. There was another teacher. Lupe put her smile on and walked up to her. “Have you seen this girl?” 
“Sure, she’s in my homeroom next hour. Her name’s Thea McCasslan, right?” Lupe smiled. 
“Mind if we intrude on your hour today?” The teacher was puzzled. 
“Certainly. It starts in five minutes.” Lupe looked at Ash, and then nodded. 
“Room number?” 
“Four-oh-six.” 
“Thank you,” Ash said and then walked away. Lupe followed him and they found the room. The bell rang, and students started streaming in. Thea came in and nearly dropped her books. 
She ran over to the agents and said, “Are you here to help me? There are these men, and they said they’d kill Lisa if I didn’t do what they told me. Please, is she okay?” Lupe flipped her phone open. 
“She is now.” She called Kathryn, made a few quick comments and then snapped the phone shut. She walked up to the teacher. “Excuse me, but we have to leave. Thea’s coming with us. You might want to advise the principal to put the school in lockdown. Immediately.” Lupe took Thea’s hand and led her out. They slid into the black car and then there was a bullet whizzing right past Lupe’s ear. 
“Ash!” she screamed, and Ash started the car and gunned the engine. He roared out of the lot. He was breaking all the speed limits, and didn’t care. 
When they made it back, Kathryn said, “Is everyone alright? I interrogated Lisa’s dad, and apparently he was in on it. Told me he was sorry. He also told us who the killer is.” 
Thea piped up. “It was my mother. I saw her and then she walked over to me. I had hidden behind the couch, but she found me. Knew I was there. Then, something like a bag went over my head, and I think I fell asleep. Or something. I don’t know, exactly.” Lupe came over and Thea turned to her and Lupe hugged Thea. Thea was crying. “Why did she kill Dad?” 
Lupe said, “We’ll find out, honey, we will. I promise.” Nissa, one of their agents who was a skilled driver, was going to come just in case. They drove to the McCasslan residence, but Maya had disappeared. They had a lead, and followed it. They found Maya. She did run, but Nyala caught her and brought her in. 
Maya simply sneered. “Fine. If you want an admission, I did it. But, I’m glad. Hear that? I hated his guts, and I’m glad I killed him!” She was laughing hysterically, her eyes distant. 
Ash whispered, "Is she crazy?"
Lupe snorted. “Well done, Sherlock.” 
Ash glared. “No, I mean literally.” 
“Well, that will be found out. If she is, she’ll probably only get house arrest. If not, it’s life in prison.” Ash sighed. Then he looked up at Lupe. 
“Hey, did you know that Thea was talking to me about joining us when she graduates?” Lupe looked at him in disbelief. 
“Seriously?”
“Yeah. Does it look like I’m joking?” 
“Nobody knows with you, Ash. Ever.” 
“Haha, very funny Lupe.” 
“Does it really look like I’m joking, Ash?”

© 2013 Wingless Fallen Angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Added on May 31, 2013
Last Updated on May 31, 2013
Tags: Murder, mystery, English

Author

Wingless Fallen Angel
Wingless Fallen Angel

Lake Ann, MI



About
I'm Wingless Fallen Angel, obviously. Call me WFA, Wingless, Fallen, Angel, or any combination of the above! I love to write and read and not do arithmetic. I'm open to talk to you, about whatever. Me.. more..

Writing