Good Morning Sunshine

Good Morning Sunshine

A Poem by J.M. Barrett
"

A poem I wrote about a year ago when I was feeling like a hopeless romantic.

"
One morning he'll be greeted by slightly tossed pancakes and the sound of sizzling bacon.
An open window will invite a warm summer breeze that will brace his face and whisper Good Day.
The sun beats down on black pavement, painted with dewy rain of yesterdays thunderstorms.
The scent of syrup will pierce his senses as I top the carefully made table with dahlia's from the garden.

Sit down, dear.
Enjoy the smell of freshly brewed coffee,
as you take a bite of your slightly buttered toast.


Slowly reaching satisfaction with each bite he takes--
I spin the dial until Etta James' "At Last" lightly fails through the air at my fingertips content.
The vibrations dance down towards the floor and tickle the walls as they awaken with sound.
And I slowly wrap my arms around his neck, with my hands resting on his chest.
I place a gentle kiss on his cheek and his expression asks me "why?"


Love is not what you can do for me, but what I can do for you.

© 2010 J.M. Barrett


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This os such a sweet poem, and it makes me not only hungry for pancakes, bacon and coffee. nice job. you should recapture those dreams.

Posted 13 Years Ago


man, i love prose poetry because the writer can start out with a perfect bite-sized bit of story and just intensify it with some really beautiful language -- as you have so wonderfully done here :) though this is short, i think this piece contains a lot of heart... and etta james' 'at last' is such great song choice, the sweet languor of the song fits this early-morning breakfast romance seamlessly. great job, really enjoyed this ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Absolutely spectacular!

Oh, Just one thing... Use turkey bacon, the sizzle and the taste are the same, but it will keep him healthier!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this one too! Seems like a very nice place to be...

"The vibrations dance down towards the floor and tickle the walls as they awaken with sound."

Posted 13 Years Ago


I am hungry now:) Nice write. I have two kids, so this is like a dream breakfast.

Patrick

Posted 13 Years Ago


It is the little things, for sure. This was lovely to stumble upon. I love Etta James.

~True

Posted 13 Years Ago


You just painted the perfect morning.

Love is not what you can do for me, but what I can do for you.

Who wouldn't want to wake up to such a wonderful and caring partner,
Beautiul.

Antonio


Posted 13 Years Ago


This may be essentially a love poem, but the way it is delivered is surprising and effective. The descriptions are given with relish, and like throwing a spotlight upon a cherished moment in time. A moment which might normally be meaningless to anyone other than the one who had experienced it - but this poem makes you feel this moment, like looking in on a part of a representative symbol of life. It is very heart-warming and real.
The last line is perfect.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are very wise. Love and kindness create a mountain of happiness. We must give to receive. I like the poem and your story. The small things in a life are what we remember and need. I went to see old Grandma once a week till her death. She was very thankful. She raised me with love and kindness. We act like we were taught. Last line is truth and great wisdom. If we all look at life for what we can do. This world could be a better place.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

509 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 15, 2010
Last Updated on May 18, 2010

Author

J.M. Barrett
J.M. Barrett

Spring Hill, FL



About
"...for every mile the feet go, the heart goes nine." - ee cummings more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Voyages Voyages

A Poem by Tate Morgan