Preface

Preface

A Poem by Alana McGuire
"

This came to me out of nowhere, so I went with it. More to come later, possibly.

"
I love the essence of you, and the way your hair changes like the seasons.
I'll never forget the first time I saw you, your hair shading your shoulders like a Willow tree, bestowed by gravity, but more so by beauty. It was as if God was whispering natural elegance through each wave. My head became filled with all of the generic words we're taught not to overuse when describing something truly breathtaking. So I remained silent, afraid that any worn out, complimentary string of words could make you doubt their meaning, and doubt my sincerity.. wrapped around them like a final breath.
It was the middle of winter, but you were spring in your jeans. Full of 3D dreams and paper hearts.. You caught me staring and I felt my heart begin to crumble, as if paper really did make up the core in its entirety. To my surprise you gifted me a smile that I swear could outshine the sun. And in that moment, I knew I was alive.


This came to me out of nowhere, so I grabbed my phone and copied it down in a note.
Now I need to decide where to take it next. Poem, short story, prose, or an exert from a book.
Also, please tell me what you would like to see happen next. ;)

© 2013 Alana McGuire


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love this particular freeform structure. The line about 'I swear I could outshine the sun' is absolutely stunning.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alana McGuire

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
Agreed with zainul, I felt this was an opening to a scene in a film.. kinda like American Beauty. Watch it if you haven't, it might give you ideas :D A really good piece, you capture the feelings really well. I could relate and the use of your language was still almost exotic.. really different from what I normally read. Well done :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alana McGuire

10 Years Ago

American Beauty was a very intricate film, and I really enjoyed it. And thank you so much for the co.. read more
Luke Rawlings

10 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
Make it prologue of a book.
See how it goes.
Wonderful beginning.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alana McGuire

10 Years Ago

I thought about using it for that, myself. Thank you so much for the feedback(:
zainul

10 Years Ago

I am glad that you appreciate my view.:)
He turned and walked away. it took all the courage I could muster to run after him. This wasn't me; I don't go chasing after boys but there was something chaotic but pure in him and I just had to listen to his soul some more.

As you can tell got a little caught up in it. Nice thought.

Does that help?



Posted 10 Years Ago


Alana McGuire

10 Years Ago

That's very good! Thanks so much for the review and words.
eatmills

10 Years Ago

Hey no prob. It sounds like the actual start to the story after the main character build.
I think you can go anywhere with this start. I read it as a poem and I love the idea of "you were spring in your jeans"." It captures that early moment in a relationship of awe and uncertainty. If you keep it a poem I would delete the last sentence.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alana McGuire

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your words and opinion. I really appreciate it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on August 1, 2013
Tags: infatuation, adoration, love, description

Author

Alana McGuire
Alana McGuire

About
Hello! My name is Alana, and I'm really glad you're on my profile. I love chatting, so send me a message anytime! I also love reading new poetry, so feel free to add me and we can share our words.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..