The AutoBiography of the Second Ellen Eygabroad

The AutoBiography of the Second Ellen Eygabroad

A Story by Laura E. Aranda
"

A story of my life......

"

The Audio biography of the second Ellen Eygabroad

I used to wear my Great-Aunt Earlies’ shoes out to feed the chickens deep in her back yard. Funny how important and grown-up I felt in those slender patent leather size 5 ½ black shoes that would sink the mud every step I took. It wasn’t like the chickens noticed what I wore. I just felt beautiful in them. I don’t know if she ever found out that her good church shoes were worn and mud crusted. I never got in trouble at her house. I always felt like I could accomplish the world by putting on her shoes and tromping around a little while. I assumed that I would one day be somebody and go somewhere. Do something one day. Maybe become an author, my name would be in everyone’s’ minds and on everyone’s’ bookshelves! How splendid that would be!

I have done things that I can say I am truly proud of. I have been overseas and back again. I have married and brought the first legitimate grandchild to the family. I did say legitimate right? Well that possibly doesn’t matter because I married a Hispanic man who is her father. And even the chicken’s way back on Aunt Earlies’ farm know better than to mix-breed. I always found walking on the edge of politically correctness was fun and adventurous. A little spice to my life and mix-breeds are the prettiest children, you know?

I wonder what I will be like when I grow up…well grow older than what I am now. I suppose I should do something. Be someone…going somewhere else. My gypsy spirit never wanted to stay in one place for too long. I determine that was the exciting thing about writing books. You always had somewhere new to go in the fictional lives of characters. You also were everywhere at once as people curiously bought your newest work of fictional art and went home….to their home, of course, wherever that might be.

I really want to open my own photography studio. I really need to go to school for photography. That is the drum to which my heart beats. Capturing and exposing real life in a multiple of great photo shots. I should think about doing that before I turn thirty. I am twenty-four now. I don’t want to live my life in a great sadness and gaze back through tear filled regretful eyes and view all of the wasted time that I could have used to become someone great.

I wanted to become a missionary teacher and work with Spanish children maybe in Mexico or El Salvador. I have been there. I have seen the poverty and all the hot classrooms with no chalk. I wanted to go and be the teacher who brought liberty to a dull mind. That will probably never happen now. I don’t know Spanish well. I failed my Spanish class in college. I recently had someone suggest I begin to write in Spanish, poetry. I cried. I should know this by now but I never pushed myself to learn the beautiful language.

“You are not her parent!” Is one phrase I have heard too many times to count, including this morning. My younger sister who is wild, crazy and dangerous is somehow my fault. I can’t begin to count the times I have blamed myself for her silliness…including her many boyfriends. Maybe if I would have just been here for her she would have …what? Turned out more like me? Is that a compliment? All in all, my sister and my relationship has seen its bad days and its really stormy days in the last year or so.

On to the title, Ellen Eygabroad is a beautiful legend who died four months before I was born thus I inherited her name. What a responsibility to live up to. She was my father’s grandmother and what a woman she was.  Maybe that is the reason I daily live in doubt about who I should be because she was a confident and strong woman who lived out her name. Maybe that is the reason I am walking in another’s shoes to a chicken house ….maybe inside I feel I have someone’s shoes still on my feet and I am trying to walk.

TO BE CONTINUED

 

© 2008 Laura E. Aranda


Author's Note

Laura E. Aranda
TO BE CONTINUED
Please don't die from boredom

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on August 7, 2008
Last Updated on August 12, 2008

Author

Laura E. Aranda
Laura E. Aranda

TX



About
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb One of my favorite po.. more..

Writing