Lonely Child

Lonely Child

A Poem by Laura E. Aranda
"

Wondering why you are too busy just to stop amoment and let your adult guard down. Written about a neglected child who only wishes for more of his parents' attention and love....

"

It's all in the box

Everything remains in the box

Not put together...just a project left outside in the rain

That's where I am too

Outside, forever outside, waiting for more

More time, more attention ( I think that is the right word)

Attention

Maybe if I move Mommy's vase to the center of her table, she

will smile

Maybe, if I do not break it, like last time

Mommy says I shouldn't act so naughty and loud and Daddy said something about an illusion in my head needed fixin'

All I know is that I am standing out here in the rain, breathing, outside all alone except for this Build-A-Kite Project still in the box.

© 2008 Laura E. Aranda


Author's Note

Laura E. Aranda
This makes me so sad....I wrote it for the newest Ten Word Contest

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow I really loved this... my ex sister in law was like that with here kids and she did nothing but stay home and collect welfare but all she wanted to do was watch tv and find boyfriends instead of getting love and attention from the kids... anyways what powerful emotion you display with your ingenious words.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

read like a little mystery, and like a little story told from the inside out--nicely done. tovli

Posted 15 Years Ago


it makes me sad, too. I ache for my neices who I haven't played with for a while. I ache because they don't go outside much.... not since their mom saw that creepy guy in the park. Why? Why don't parents realize kids are a chance to relive your childhood WITH them. Get on the floor with them... don't just yell at them to clean the mess.... help them MAKE the mess. Ouch this piece hurts. Excellent write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is SO sad. Neglected, ignored, unloved children. I can see them trying so hard for our attention.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Heartbreaking. What children won't do for attention. Even just a smile. I met a single Father who is always working and has two boys. He has raised them since they were six months old. I have now kind of adopted them and they call me Mom. Their lives were CARTOONS. Now they are in the Scouts and loving it. It really only takes someone to care and give a little time. Nice job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a sentimental journey!!
Excellent. I enjoyed the read...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow I really loved this... my ex sister in law was like that with here kids and she did nothing but stay home and collect welfare but all she wanted to do was watch tv and find boyfriends instead of getting love and attention from the kids... anyways what powerful emotion you display with your ingenious words.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh! so tender and lovely and so so sad and true for so many children in our world...

Posted 15 Years Ago


Maybe if I move Mommy's vase to the center of her table, she

will smile

This is my favorite part. How shy this child is, not to go rushing into the bedroom and jump up and down on the bed, but to instead move a vase to test the mothers awareness. Perhaps it is the saddest part of your poem as well. A child shouldn't have to ask for attention like that. I should be freely given and freely asked for.

I think that the first line can be removed. It seems repetitious with the next line. Other than that, this poem is really incredible. Thanks for the read.

Chris B.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Great job, Laura.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So when I first read this, I was alllllll confused. Then I saw the note, and it made sense.

I like this a lot.
"That's where I am too
Outside, forever outside, waiting for more
More time, more attention ( I think that is the right word)
Attention"
And the "( )" part makes me think of the little mermaid, which makes me feel 10 again, so it goes really well.

Good luck on the Contest!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2008
Last Updated on September 27, 2008

Author

Laura E. Aranda
Laura E. Aranda

TX



About
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb One of my favorite po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..