Roads

Roads

A Story by Leah Elisabeth

    Allison was never entirely sure what had happened.  There was a bright light and a sensation of flying.  She saw a dark blur rushing toward her face and all went black.  She stood up in the darkness, unable to reconcile what she was seeing with the place she had been before.  She had been sitting in her car with Daniel in the front seat, but there was now no car, no front seat and no Daniel.  She was alone in the darkness.
    Allison's eyes began to adjust to the lack of light but she could see nothing.  She was standing on a perfectly flat surface.  She thought she was outdoors because there were no discernible walls and no ceiling above her, but she did not know of any place even remotely similar to the featureless landscape in which she now found herself.
    "Daniel?" Her voice shook.  It sounded dead in the emptiness around her.  "Are you here?"  Allison crumpled to the ground.  She was afraid and she was worried about Daniel.  She reached up to her head with a trembling hand.  Her fingers came away bloody from a gash on her forehead.  "Am I . . . dead?"  She whispered, as if afraid someone would answer, but her fears were in vain. Her words were swallowed up into the deadness that surrounded her.
    She stood up and began to run.  She wasn't sure where she was going.  All directions looked the same.  It seemed as if she ran for hours, but the scene around her never changed.  At last, she fell, unable to go on.  She sobbed into the gray flatness, wishing she was with Daniel again.
    Her tears fell on the ground below her and, feeling a warmth from below her, she opened her eyes.  A light was shining from below her, under the ground.  She stared at it, unwilling to believe what she was seeing.  There were people below her, bicycling down a crowded street.   She did not recognize them.  She watched them, smiling, laughing and living below her. 
    She began moving and the scene below her changed.  The people below her bore no resemblance to the ones she had seen before.  They were standing in a street market, haggling amongst themselves.  She kept moving and the scene kept changing.  She saw streets in Paris, Berlin and London.  She saw dirt trails in small towns and big city freeways.  The streets were full of people going about their daily lives and completely unaware of Allison's tear stained face hovering above them.
    Allison began running as she searched for a familiar face in a familiar street.  The featureless landscape never changed around her.  She was afraid she would get lost and never see her own street, or her own dear Daniel, again.  She grew tired rapidly, and she could no longer be sure she was making progress.  Everything looked the same.  She was almost ready to give up when she saw him.
    Her Daniel was finally below her in the street.  Allison relaxed until she saw the look of pain and sadness on his face.  Allison wondered why he was so sad until she saw her own body cradled in his arms.  She could not hear him, but she saw his lips cry her name over and over.
    "Daniel, I'm here!" She yelled as loud as he could but it was no use, he could not hear her.  He continued to cry out her name.  The look of agony on his face was more than Allison could bear.  She screamed until she was hoarse as she watched Daniel's tears dripping from his chin and onto her own silent face.  She beat the ground beneath her, unable to break through.  She lay on the ground, crying for Daniel's pain.  The landscape spun around her and everything went black.
    She woke up as something splashed onto her face.  She looked up and saw Daniel hovering above her.  She could feel his arms holding her tightly.  His tears of sadness turned to tears of joy as she opened her eyes and looked into his.  He pulled her still closer.  Allison turned her face into his jacket and closed her eyes.  She was back.

© 2008 Leah Elisabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

So - she died but she was seeing her um self like she was hlaf way into the void and halfway to earth and she saw herself and she brougth herself back right??? Well anyway it was really good, a bit too short to have sbstance in it but stii good

Posted 14 Years Ago


Powerful. Moving. I loved this. I can only imagine what it would be like to die and come back, but this is a wonderful theory.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow I love this piece, really awesome idea. The descriptions, emotions etc. brings the reader into that world in itself

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was really good! I liked your idea. I liked how she came back at the end. That was a surprise. It was good.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2008

Author

Leah Elisabeth
Leah Elisabeth

About
I am a young woman who keenly enjoys the beauty of a well-turned phrase. I believe that life without the spoken or the written word would be very empty indeed. My life is filled with song and story .. more..

Writing
Minion Minion

A Story by Leah Elisabeth


Lazarus Lazarus

A Story by Leah Elisabeth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..