Earth

Earth

A Story by leios
"

This is just something I wrote recently. Let me know what you think!

"
She lay alone, gazing into the sky and listening to the gentle rhythm of ocean waves. Red hair was strewn about the sand, now home to dozens of crabs crawling just beneath her. As the tides rose, Poseidon tickled her toes, hoping to wake her from her slumber and welcome her to a world beyond her imagination, but she would not -- could not wake. Not anymore.
The heat caused the light's rays to dance about her, blurring the boundary between mother and earth, and in her hand glistened a locket whose band had broken only moments before. For a full week, she slept. Never moving. Never closing her eyes. for a week, she lay in limbo between two worlds: land and sea.
It was time.
The locket glowed almost indiscernibly brighter in the sun as it rose in the sky. Inside were memories of a world she would leave behind -- evidence of her humanity, even if humans had left her to rot. Still, her story would continue. After all, she wasn't human.
The sun imbued the locket with light and it shone ever brighter. Soon it emanated the heat of a bonfire, and the crabs and critters scuttled away in fear. Even the ocean seemed to stray away. The mother's body soon glowed, burning with a flameless fire and causing the sun to hide behind clouds. The ocean hissed with anger and red mist appeared on the horizon, but the mother glowed so brightly that nothing else seemed to exist. 
Soon, she moved, curling her hand around the locket and slowly rustling every inch of her body while still laying in the sand before crouching to stand. Her hair, once red, now glowed a subtle violet and flowed behind her as if she were in water.
She stood and looked to her hand and then to the world beneath her feet. When compared to her own light, everything else was dark, but she saw something. Something distressing. Red waves pulsed through her body and she fell to her knees with her hands running through her hair before letting out a mighty roar that pushed the sand and waves away with gusts of wind.

She knelt for hours that seemed like days and the red light of her body slowly faded into a cool blue before returning to a brilliant white. She was alone in a world of darkness. 
She soon lifted her head and rose, staring to where the sun once shown before vanishing completely. The world around her slowly returned into focus.
The ocean nervously crept forward, filling the void she left and reclaiming a body that had long since lost its life.
This is a story of the mother of all life.
This is the story of death.

© 2017 leios


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on October 9, 2017
Last Updated on October 9, 2017
Tags: Philosophical, death, life, metaphor

Author

leios
leios

About
I am a PhD student, studying computational physics more..

Writing
Sight Sight

A Poem by leios