The Fallen Soldier

The Fallen Soldier

A Story by Alexis Markum
"

this story was inspired by the movie we were soldiers

"
Hello my name is Lieutenant Allison, I am part of the United States Marines. this is the story of a tragic event .
March 7th,1962, vietnam... i walked up to my sergeant, i had just got off the radio with headquarters. I saluted the sergeant and looked him straight in his eyes and told him " i have news from headquarters and it's not good sir."
sergeant looked at me and finally said " And what might that be lieutenant?" I looked at him and said " We have 3 choppers down, 242 gound men dead enemies are getting closer to base and we have lost all airsupport." the sergeant looked down at the ground and then looked back up at mes sighed and then said " Well damn, aren't we just fucked and by our own country at that. Without airsupport, the ememy will have the advantage, and with  ground men down and no way to get more we will have to be more careful than usual, tell all soldiers if they see any guns or ammo take them because with airsupport gone there is no telling when we be able to get more. tell them if they see anyone that is not united states military to shot them, no questions asked. understood?" I said "yes sir!" then he dismissed me. 
on my way back to the barracks i saw a flash then heard a bang. it was a bomb about 48 yards away from me. i heard screaming and crying. i smelled burning flesh. i thought to myself " man this war is getting worse and worse by the day. if we lose anymore soldiers we won't stand a chance. we have lost 16 platoons in less than a week, we've lost 242 ground soldiers in less than a month. its rediculous, children are losing mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters."
Private first class Allan Mckenzie ran for cover behind a rock. i knew this man because we shared a foxhole, i have to say in this war this man was my best friend.PFC Mckenzie has 2 beautiful daughters one is 2 1/2 and the other is 12. He receives letters and pictures from them and is wife every maildrop. The sadest thing about the whole situation is that Mckenzie is only 22 years old. so young but yet he fights. He's brave not knowing if he will live to see dawn break the horizon the next day.
i ran over to where Mckenzie was, when i got close enough to see him face i noticed the blood. there was blood everywhere, he had been shot in the neck and was bleeding to death. All i could think was " no... not him.. his children need him..They need their father." when i snapped back to reality i yelled "medic!" when the medic got over to him, he immediately started applying pressure to Mckenzies wound. Mckenzie reach inside this shirt and pulled out his extra dog tag placed it in my hand and through fighting the blood in his throat and mouth he forced himself to say " Gve.....this to..... my oldest..........daughter.........Annabelle." then his breathing stopped and the medic said " He didn't make it.
Another fallen soldier, father, brother, and husband.   

© 2013 Alexis Markum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very vivid and eloquent presentation :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Speechless...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alexis Markum

10 Years Ago

thank you silas this piece was inspired by a really great yet sad movie that I had watched about a m.. read more
Silas

10 Years Ago

Hm. Very interesting.
so much emotion in this piece. You get intoduced to a character (or introduce a character yourself) and feel a connection with them, as if you have known them all your life. Nice job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well well well Alexis Markum! And here I thought you despised the Army!!!! I certainly would have never thought you out of all people would write something like this! But I am impressed! A few grammar issues but nothing too serious. I can tell you one thing...the only person in your life that would have ever inspired this poem is Michael! So how is he? Still at draft? Hope all goes well for You, ELENA, and Joshua (Josh)

Posted 10 Years Ago


DeletedAccount156

10 Years Ago

:) good and make sure josh is one of those people!!! LOL he's your ticket out of Tennessee! MAKE SUR.. read more
Alexis Markum

10 Years Ago

lol i'm pretty sure it will be lol
DeletedAccount156

10 Years Ago

i hope so Alexis I"ll be on the side lines cheering you on!!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on May 17, 2013
Tags: war, loss

Author

Alexis Markum
Alexis Markum

Woodbury, TN



About
hi i'm alexis and i love to write anything that comes to mind. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..