Bodybag

Bodybag

A Story by Alexis Raine
"

An attempt at a haibun. Written in 45 minutes at a literature club meeting after a photo prompt.

"

        The world snaps into crystal clearness before plunging down into dark again. Some days, the moment lasts longer; other days, my head is immediately reacquainted with the ceramic floor.
        I'm not entirely sure how long I've been here. I can't see the clock; it's too far out of view, the very edge of it teasing my peripheral vision. Sometimes I try to bolt upwards in a panic, an attempt to escape, but my legs and arms are tied to the floor by the same devils that pull black curtains over my eyes. Sometimes I feel them dancing over my hands, my feet; other times I see them skittering and scrambling, conducting tribal ceremonies on my ceiling.
        They laugh at me; they tell me they're going to swaddle me up tight, like Baby Jesus, and stick a rubber stamp on my forehead and FedEx me, only I'll get lost in the mail and no one will know who I was or where I was going.
        I scream at them to stop, but one, a little fellow, settles between my eyes and starts to pound, pound, and pound until I shut my eyes the draw the dark curtain myself. When I open my eyes I see they've called their friends, the ones with flashing lights and a screaming war cry that could shatter glass. They claw at me and pick me up, setting me on their rolling cart and tucking blankets so tightly around me, I can barely breathe.  I think, 'those devils kept their promise' and now I'm on the way to the Post Office, with stamps plastered on my pulse points and a label securing my head down, so it will not break in transit.
       I hear them yelling to each other, saying things like 'stroke' and 'burglary.' Their noises hit my ears like a rock through the glass of my kitchen window and I try to thrash, but they've got my limbs weighed down with packing peanuts and strapped tight to my body. 
       The siren devils lift me into the belly of their war-steed and as they do, I become aware of the beep, beep, beeping of the scale weighing my soul for shipping. It gets louder and more frantic and I think, 'my God, my sins weigh a lot.'
        One of the devils leans over me and starts screaming 'sir!' but I ignore him and focus on the scale; I can see the little green line bouncing weakly up and down until it settles into a straight line, sending a steady sound into my ears.
        The world snaps into crystal clearness one last time before my head becomes reacquainted with darkness.

On April 24th
A robbery on Pine Street
Becomes a murder

© 2010 Alexis Raine


Author's Note

Alexis Raine
This is pretty rough and mostly unedited. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

swaddled up like baby jesus is a really good line. It gives a lot to the story in terms of the symbolism. Also beginning and ending with snapping into crystal clearness is really great.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
1 Review
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on June 9, 2010
Tags: haibun, eastern, psychological

Author

Alexis Raine
Alexis Raine

About
You can call me Roo, or any variation upon my name. I live in a land of trees, where it is possible to drown by just looking at the sky. I enjoy writing, mostly prose, and some screenplays. I al.. more..

Writing