Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by lilliterate
"

Kaitlyn finds herself in a family predicament. Pearl finds herself in the dark. Christopher finds himself hating his father. Another finds themselves, well... dead.

"

Chapter One:

 

November 13, 2016

7:00 am

The sun slowly rose over the Bellington city skyline. Cold November breeze shook barren trees. Tiny piles of scattered snow were scarce, and children’s attempts of snowmen were visible from the sidewalk. Around Bellington Square, vendors were already setting up shop. A young girl jogged around them, her short, brown hair bobbing in a ponytail. She’d been jogging since five, as she did every morning. “Clockwork,” her father had said to her once, “You’re just like clockwork Kaitlyn. It’s amazing how you’re just like your mother that way,” His voice would trail off at the thought of his dead wife

The music from her phone stopped now and her seven o’clock alarm went off. She glanced down and saw two missed calls from Chris. She tucked her phone away and planned on calling him back once back at the loft. Parker was probably waiting there on his phone, arguing with Octavius no less. Her father, after all, was one of the most challenging people she knew, especially when it came to family. She walked into the lobby where, to her surprise, her brother was waiting.

“Christopher, isn’t this different? You here so early in the morning I mean.” She said smirking. Christopher stood up from the leather chair he was seated in. He looked charming, as he always did. He had their father’s golden hair, but their mother’s blue eyes. If you had seen them passing by with no knowledge of who they were, you’d never guess they were twins.

“Yes well, you didn’t answer my calls,” He started while tucking his hands into a navy pea coat, “And I’ve heard something that I felt we needed to talk about. Care to go for a quick walk?” He asked sounding concerned. His face was stern, as usual, but this time it seemed more serious.

She nodded, even though she’d just come back from her run. They stepped out from the lobby and walked for about a block before Christopher finally said anything. “Kait, you can’t go through with it, please. At least not yet,” He started quickly.

“What are you talking about Chris?” She asked confused.

“Your, what’s the word, partner, Parker. You remember him? He’s the one you’re being forced to live with? Yeah well, he wants you to have kids, his kids, now. He keeps asking dad if he’ll allow it so soon because it wasn’t ‘part of the plan’.” He said dryly.

“Look, Chris,” She started,

“No Kait, no, it’s not okay. This whole thing was screwed up from the beginning and I told you not to go through with it! You are nineteen, Parker is almost thirty five years older than you and he wants you to have his kids, it’s disgusting!” He was nearly shouting now.

“You think I don’t know that? You think I wanted this; to be married away like some sort of object?” She said hushed, pulling him into an alley. People were watching now but she continued, “No, but it’s for the greater good of our family. The Clyde name is being tarnished, as I’m sure you know. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make dad happy, as well as the rest of the family. Even if that means being married to a fifty four year old man who treats me like some kind of sick prize.” Kaitlyn said irritated. Her frustration was shared with her brother, “There’s nothing we can do but sit back and hope things get worked out. With Parker on our side, things will start to look up.” She took his hands and smiled, “It’ll be okay. I promise.”

He smiled weakly back at her, and then frowned once more, “It doesn’t mean I’m okay with it; not for a second. I didn’t like that guy since the-”

“I know, you don’t like Parker, but he’s my husband now and,” Christopher sighed and rolled his eyes at the word ‘husband’, “We just have to deal with that.” She finished quickly as she hooked his arm, “Now let’s go to breakfast together, hmm? How’s that sound?”

“Good Kait, it sounds good.”

“Fantastic! There’s this lovely little café called Spice’s. They serve all kinds of coffees and teas and have the best croissants around.” She said cheerfully as she pulled him faster.

 

7:15 am

The walk was silent and uneasy air followed them. The café was about three blocks from where they’d started walking. They both were chilled by the time they got inside where it was warm; classical music played softly creating a cozy ambiance. The walls were exposed brick with pictures showing groups of families sitting at small brass tables, the same as the ones inside. The calm air was broken by the abrupt ring of Kaitlyn’s phone,

“Sorry Chris, its Parker, just take a seat. It’ll be a second.”

Christopher sighed and sat down at the nearest table. A young girl walked up wearing a blue apron with a white shirt; a nametag labeled ‘Pearl’ was pinned next to a button with a small coffee logo. She had light green eyes and curled platinum hair. “What can I get for you?” She asked smiling.

“Well Pearl, how about you surprise me.” He said winking, trying to charm her. She smiled more and began blushing.

“Sure thing…” She paused, like she was waiting for something.

“Ah, Christopher,” He put out his hand, “But you can call me Chris.”

She took his hand and laughed softly. Rather than shaking it, he kissed it. She became even more flushed, “O-Oh, okay Chris, do you like tea or coffee?”

“Well what do you like Pearl?” He asked as Kaitlyn walked back into the café,

“Chris? Have you made a friend?” She asked impishly.

“As a matter of fact,” He said turning back to face her as she sat down, “I did.”

“Oh my, I can go if you two are,” Pearl said backing away, embarrassed.

“Oh God, no, come back, I’m his sister, you’re fine. Please, don’t stop flirting on my account.” Kaitlyn said smiling, “Oh and while you’re doing that, could you also bring me a chai tea latte with a coconut croissant? That would be great, thanks.”

“Right, of course, absolutely, Chris did you want..?” She trailed as she backed up,

“Coffee, black is fine.”

“Great, I’ll be back.”

She walked away with her head down and disappeared behind the counter. “Really,” Kaitlyn smirked, “She’s probably still in high school.”

“Hey, you don’t get to patronize me on age difference sis.” He said, once again alluding Parker.

Kaitlyn rolled her eyes and looked away, “So how’s business?”

“Same as always; the business of shipping goods in and out of the city is a bleak one. But it makes good money and good connections. The other day I met the owner of Reece Global, the guy who owns that big chunk of land that’s been sitting right off the residential block on 36th?”

“You mean the one that the Franklyn family auctioned off, where their old plant used to be?” Kaitlyn asked genuinely interested.

“Yeah, you’ve heard of it?” He asked amused,

“Yes, as a matter of fact. I do keep up with the times. Plus, it used to belong to mom’s family; so you know, I’m interested.”

“Right, well the guy I met was Andrew Reece, his father’s father started the company and they bought the land originally to renovate but decided on a different lot, so now they want to sell. I was going to tell dad but I wasn’t sure if he’d even be, well, I don’t know…”

“Tell him,” She said confidently, “He will think it’s a good idea, trust.” She said raising her brows, “Show him you know what you’re doing.”

Chris smiled, “Yeah,” He swayed a bit, “But there’s a rumor,” He said pinching his face, “One dad wouldn’t like…”

“Well?” Kaitlyn asked impatiently.

“I guess Darren Heins wants to buy out the land and do it under the Whistler name.”

Kaitlyn scowled, “Oh that nasty family. They’re just a bunch of drug hoarding dirt bags, the whole city knows it.” Her whole face lit up, “Oh, Chris!”

“What?” His eyes, huge stared at her sudden energy,

“That girl, the waitress, it’s Pearl Whistler! You remember that sleazy model the younger brother married; her name was Snow or Frosty or what have you; but it’s their daughter! Oh how did I not see it sooner?” She gasped in amazement, “Wow, I really hate their family…”

“Yeah, I know… And it’s Frost, Trixie Frost actually.” He frowned, “That would mean you were right, damn, she’s fifteen or something.”

Kaitlyn began to laugh, “Oh boy this day just got really amusing. And how do you know the name of that model?”

Chris cocked his head, “She’s a good looking model. Like mother like daughter I guess.” He said now looking for Pearl, “I wonder what a Whistler girl is doing working at a café.”

Kaitlyn looked puzzled, “Yeah, it’s odd right?”

Chris nodded and looked back at Kaitlyn as Pearl approached them with their drinks. “So are you going to church today Kait?”

“Don’t be ridiculous, you know how important religion is to Parker. Of course I am.” She said as if he should have known.

“Well here are your drinks, sorry it took so long, machine was acting funny. Anything else I can do for you?” Pearl asked looking hopefully at Chris,

“Yes actually, what’s a Whistler doing working at a café on this side of town?” Kaitlyn said bluntly.

“Oh, well,” Pearl scrambled for the words as she looked at Kaitlyn,

“I think,” Chris started trying to save her, “my sister just meant why are you working here when you could be out doing, eh, other things?”

“No, I think I get what she meant.” Pearl responded furrowing her brows, “What’s it to you anyhow?”

“Well, curiosity I suppose, ‘specially since we all know you’re more the pharmacy types.” She said laughing softly.

“Right, well you know, my mother always said ‘be curious, not judgmental.’ But clearly you’re both.” Pearl’s tone was harsh, Kaitlyn smirked any way,

“Yes, well, your mother is clearly not in her right mind, seeing as how she married a ninety year old hag.” Kaitlyn retorted; Pearl huffed under her breath,

“Oh, well it’s nice to see you two have something in common then.” Kaitlyn wasn’t smiling now, “Yeah, I know who you are Clyde. I tried being nice, and clearly, your reputations were just spot on. Now, if you don’t mind, I am going to have to ask you to leave.” She folded her arms and stared Kaitlyn down.

“Of course,” She said standing, “Chris, I’ll be outside.”

Kaitlyn walked away without paying and Chris looked at Pearl who was red. He pulled out his wallet, “I’m really sorry-”

“Just go, please.”

His shoulders dropped and he looked away. Before he left he dropped a ten on the table, as well as a small card.

Once he’d gone and Pearl couldn’t see him anymore, she grabbed the money and the card. It was small, blue, and shiny. It was Chris’ business card; she flipped it over and it read, scribbled in pen, ‘Sorry for the inconvenience, keep the change’ with a small signature in the corner. She stuffed the money in her apron and walked over to her bag behind the counter and put the card there.

Pearl didn’t know whether to feel relieved they were gone, or offended they were here at all. She liked Chris, but his sister was the worst; their whole family was. They didn’t want justice, they just wanted blood, and it didn’t matter how they got it. The stories she’d heard about the cruel, careless, Clyde family made her blood boil.

Family feuds ran heavy all throughout Bellington, and if it weren’t for Evers, the city would probably fall to pieces. Of course Pearl was thankful for that, but sometimes she wished that the families would just get over themselves.

“Poppy!” A voice shouted from behind the kitchen doors,

“Yes Ms. Sposch?” She answered as she walked to the doors. Once she was in the kitchen she added, “And it’s Pearl,”

“Sure thing Paisley,” Ms. Sposch said; she was a round, middle-aged woman whose short height (and unfortunately bad hearing) made her almost munchkin-like. Her wispy grey hair was untidily tucked under a small hair net and her whole body was covered in powder, “I need you to call my nephew, Tucker, so he can grab me some more flour. I’d ask you but there’s this special kind at this special store… Anyway, can you do that hun?” She asked as she stopped kneading and looked with beady eyes at her.

“Sure thing, is his number on the wall by the landline?”

“What?” Ms. Sposch shouted,

“Nothing, I’ll get right on it.” Pearl surrendered to her impatient nature and went to see for herself.

Next to the old green landline were taped papers with all kinds of scribbled notes, one that said ‘Tucker Cell’ she hoped would be the lucky number.

            The ringing lasted about four seconds before a raspy voice answered, “Yeah?”

“Well- hi!” She paused looking for the words, “Is this Tucker Sposch?”

“No..?” He responded sounding very groggy. She realized he had probably just woken up.

“Oh, sorry then I-”

“No wait; it’s not Sposch, that’s my mother’s maiden name. It’s Hamill, Tucker Hamill. Who is this?” He stopped her before nearly hanging up,

“I’m Pearl; I work for your aunt,”

“Aunt Agnis?”

Pearl paused, she didn’t know Ms. Sposch’s first name, “The one who runs the café?”

“Yeah,” He said cursing under his breath; a loud thump was heard through the line,

“Right, anyhow, she needs you to run out and get her fancy flour. Apparently I can’t because I don’t know enough about-”

“Yep, I got it, be there in twenty.” The call ended and she looked at the phone.

“So it’s a family thing,” She muttered before hanging up and heading back to the counter.

 

9:03 am

Tucker’s entrance into the café was sudden, like a whirlwind of hair, leather, and flour; he wasn’t punctual either. Rather than taking twenty minutes like he’d said, he took an hour and a half.

“Where have you been?” Pearl groaned as she stormed over to who she assumed to be Tucker. Customers whipped their heads to the door to see what all the commotion was.

“You Pearl?” He asked raising his thick brows to meet in an arch,

“Clearly,” She said pointing to her nametag, “You said twenty minutes, it’s been an hour and a half!

Tucker smirked; he had long black hair and olive skin, nothing like Ms. Sposch. The only thing they had in common was their personality, and their brown eyes. “Look girly, I ran into some trouble with the cops, okay?” He said nonchalantly as he carried the two bags of flour to the back.

Pearl followed him, shocked, “Cops? What are you talking about?”

Tucker spun back around before entering the kitchen, puffs of powder hanging in the air, “A cop pulled me over for speeding, which I wasn’t, but he pulled me over and asked me for my license and registration when he saw the flour and, like most cops do when they see me, assumed it was drugs, because, well, I may have a reputation with drugs.” He said as he cocked a smile and entered the kitchen. “Aunt Agnis, special delivery!”

Pearl waited outside the doors for Tucker to return, “Who gave you the drugs?”

“What?” He asked, caught off guard, “No one, and it was a while ago.”

“Look, I’m not judging, but I just… I need to know.”

Tucker was hesitant; Pearl looked too much like a ‘goodie-goodie’ to do drugs, “Guy, called the Martian. It’s his stage name, because, you know, he can make you ‘spacey’.” He said laughing as if it were funny, “Why do you need to know?”

“Dang, okay thanks,” Pearl looked away now.

Tucker wanted to ask but wasn’t sure if he should, “Yeah, well I’ve got to go.”

Tucker left and Pearl was too deep in thought to even notice. Outside, a brisk breeze picked up and whistled against Tucker’s faux leather jacket. Across the street from the café, a tall man with auburn hair and an expensive suit was standing, watching. Tucker looked around to see what he was watching, but it almost looked like the guy was watching him.

“Creep,” He muttered quietly. It was almost like he heard him because at that moment, the auburn haired man began to walk toward him. Tucker just watched, confused, and a bit frightened.

“Are you Tucker Hamill?” The man asked upon reaching him.

“Depends; who uh, who’s askin’?” He stammered, his hands slightly trembling.

The auburn haired man smiled, “You have a message from someone whom you owe a lot of money.” He said raising his faint brows.

Tucker’s jaw opened and he became frantic, “Hey, look, I got the cash, I just-”

As he spoke, the man reached into his jacket and pulled out a small blade and in one swift movement, sliced Tucker’s throat. A woman carrying a child screamed and began to run away. From inside the café, Pearl ran out to see the man she’d just met bleeding out on the ground, and there was no one around.

“Help!” She shouted shaking. She’d never seen so much blood before, so much blood. From inside the café, the customers gathered around the window and watched as the owner’s nephew bled out in front of them. “What are you all doing? Call 911!”

Tucker’s body went numb, and he looked at Pearl as he gasped for one last breath.

“Tucker, Tucker no!” Pearl said shaking him, one hand gripped tightly around his wound; but he was gone.

From across the street, an auburn haired man watched as a young girl lingered over his victim’s body. For a moment, he almost felt guilty; then, his phone rang.



© 2016 lilliterate


Author's Note

lilliterate
My first chapter, still under construction, but would love a critique.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on October 13, 2016
Last Updated on October 13, 2016
Tags: chapter, one, critique, edit, bellington, city, unfinished, crime, mystery