On the edge

On the edge

A Poem by Donald Meikle

To stand and judge a pile of stones .  

To consider the order of their use,and change it without picking up the first.

       

To take a wide brush,white paint unstirred,a waiting empty canvas, 


 see the brushstroke edges form windows to the hidden picture,

 then dip the brush and touch the clean can side.

       

  To visualize the shapes that hide 

in hard grown grain, 

then contemplate the difference after several digging slices. 


Turning it to see a different scene.

         A lump of clay sits on a smooth topped surface. 

The knife is held in hand as different approaches are considered.


A clear white sheet of paper

 lies beside three worn and sharpened pencils.


A dream of sitting on a pacing stallion feeling the wind and warming sun reflect from a reader's mind.

© 2015 Donald Meikle


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don - I've been in this mode many times while writing, you've hit it right on mark - excellent!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald, I just came back for a re-read, (several in fact,) There is a depth to this poem, that I confess, did not at first sink in. It was my fault, I skimmed, rather than allowed the sun to warm my mind.

Artisan, artist or poet, it matters not, all create in their own unique way.


Beccy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


There are times when the words simply flow like a river to the sea; always though, they are balanced by the terrible frustration of being entirely incapable of articulating one's thoughts.

the word choice here is exquisite and conveys all that every poet at one time or another feels.

Beccy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


'Tis a fact that the act of creating can tear asunder; no better lines have been writ that say this is so.

As Ed says, as fine as they come.

T

Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald Meikle

8 Years Ago

thanks T for knowing the thresh hold
You left the reader with many things to think about.
"A clear white sheet of paper
lies beside three worn and sharpened pencils.
A dream of sitting on a pacing stallion feeling the wind and warming sun reflect from a reader's mind." What we see and know. This is what we become and the things we touch and create are. Thank you Donald for sharing your excellent poetry.
Coyote


Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald, this is as fine as they come

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love the journey of each stanza: the possibilities and promise.

One small thing of note in the last line though: "A dream of sitting on a pacing stallion feeling the wind and warming sun reflect from a reader's mind." I think this would better read "from a writer's mind" or "a poet's mind."

Posted 8 Years Ago


Donald Meikle

8 Years Ago

The writer tries to reach the reader's mind
Linda Marie Van Tassell

8 Years Ago

The lines prior lead one to think you're staring at the sheet of clear white paper, dreaming of sitt.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

635 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 5, 2015
Last Updated on December 5, 2015

Author

Donald Meikle
Donald Meikle

Halifax, MA



About
Liverpool born,USNavy vet. Enjoying first marriage. three daughters, (two bathrooms) one until they left. (a tree that loves me) Poet thru geneology) Scot Irish. Living in New England more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren