LOTUS

LOTUS

A Poem by Linda Marie Van Tassell
"

She opens her soul and fills with peace, transcending the world on shafts of light.

"



Lithe and lovely, she rises through air

in vibrant splendor at break of day,

naked, with dawn’s flame twined in her hair,

dancing her petals in moist bouquet.

A light wind whispers between the trees.

 

Of love and beauty, it sweetly sings,

fluttering gently with rippled ease

 

to lift the heart on anointed wings.

He lusted and lay down upon her,

evoking the warmth of sweet embrace,

 

unfolding his heart, at once astir,

nestled beside her to kiss her face.

In swirls of light and burning desire,

the sky is a scarf of crepe de chine

embroidered with threads of saffron fire

draped by the wind over fields of green.

 

She opens her soul and fills with peace,

transcending the world on shafts of light;

and her petals of dress never cease

to rise from the depths that clasp her tight.

Eternity blooms in nirvana.

She is poised in peace: Padmasana.

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Linda Marie Van Tassell


Author's Note

Linda Marie Van Tassell

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You make of erotica, an oasis of beauty and fulfillment. Who would not desire with intensity, to share it?


Posted 10 Years Ago


Linda Marie Van Tassell

10 Years Ago

You're so sweet. Thank you. :-)
This poem flows like a river, and is as stunning as the lotus itself. I love the imagery you have used...you have painted a gorgeous picture, each stroke an emotion, each dapple a piece of your heart, and each delicate line a sense of beauty and genius. Wonderfully written!

Posted 10 Years Ago


i really enjoyed the fluid sounds and flow of this piece. i was drawn to the title Lotus because i am really interested in everyting Vedic right now, vedic medicine, poetry, art, literature, mythology--and the lotus flower is a very deep-rooted theme in Hindu culture. this is one a favs from you.

one thing cought my eye, though i may have misunderstood--did you mean to say "her dress of petals"?? i was not sure if it was a typo. love the rich shining imagery throughout.

pruf

ps. this site has changed since was last here, i sent you a video but not sure where i sent iot to, it real interesting, colorful theater piece by Antony and the Johnsons. also, how does the library and shelf work and all that. i ahve not located it, but i see some people are bputting poems on their shelf or bookcase. can you explain?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Your words are so exquisite and you have placed each one so that it layers upon the previous until a moving mosaic of perfection takes form and we all breathe in the serenity tempering the fire love and creating peace in the balance, a peace with depth and breadth. I feel each piece has been painstakingly created. I think that first stanza is one of the most beautiful I have ever read:

Lithe and lovely, she rises through air
in vibrant splendor at break of day,
naked, with dawn’s flame twined in her hair,
dancing her petals in moist bouquet.
A light wind whispers between the trees.



Posted 10 Years Ago


Soft and pure is how I find your poem today. An alluring feeling flows on this fine collection of tender thoughts. Having read a few of your pieces now I found the formatting just a bit odd, but I knew there had to be a reason for it, so I studied your thoughts and remained baffled until I looked away for a few minutes (work got in the way) and then glancing back up at the screen it found me. 2nd and 3rd stanzas gave it away as the first letters of each line seemed to jump out at me. Linda of the United States. Very cool how you did that. I guess I will be looking deeper from now on. I did however have to look up Padmasana. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a very sensual and beautiful expression of -dare I say "lovemaking?" I feel you have a lofty style, and if that sounds demeaning then it is only because so many have given the conception of "lofty" a bad name. It means, in this context, exultant. This poem is an exultation. To be really made love to by nature in male form, as I feel this poem appears to imply, is genuinely a beautiful view of all we seek in giving our bodies to love one another for all the right reasons. What I love about this poem is that it keeps a clear and unbroken symbolism behind the text, while developing through very well organized stanzas that move the substance of the poem forward at just the right progressive pace. So often I read poems where a metaphor is used, and then the next stanza or line that same metaphor has been discarded for something totally unrelated, and not even part of the same symbolic realm. This poem is complete in symbolism and word choice, both unifying their efforts to support the whole. If I dare to find something to criticize in a less than entirely positive way, I will just say I both love that you use the concept of "lotus throne" from yoga (which I am also dedicated to the practice of) and also find it to be a slightly non-sequitur appropriation. Yoga certainly has sexual elements and kundalini energy is a powerful force to unlock, but I don't see the rest of your poem being as connected to the unlocking of the lotus as it is to the merging of yourself with the world in lovemaking. It is a gentle criticism, but since there isn't much to complain about here, I have to find SOMETHING. At times I wonder how any one could have anything really useful to say to you because you display a mastery of the craft that makes true criticism from an unequal positively pointless. I can say something when I see a discontinuity though. The lotus concept is not CENTRAL to this poem, though it is complimentary. Therefore, in my mind, I would just alter the Hindu imagery to be more in line with the rest, or I would add to the imagery of the poem very slightly to show the way the serpent is being uncoiled by this love. I think a lot about rekindling of desire, and so perhaps I am more focused on this than others would be. Thanks for listening!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Such beautiful words strung together. i love your skill.

Posted 10 Years Ago


yes, this poem is so so serene...an almost controlled passion..felt yet extended...continuous...

slow and soothing...like the poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You leave me with beautiful images floating in my mind and a sense of serenity after reading. This poem is a breath of fresh air to me. Just astounding.

Posted 10 Years Ago


the art of peace , the art of being

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

770 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2013
Last Updated on May 2, 2021
Tags: Lotus, Peace, Tranquility, Nirvana, Padmasana, Acrostic

Author

Linda Marie Van Tassell
Linda Marie Van Tassell

VA



About
Poetry has been my passion since I was about fifteen years old, and I love the structure of rhyme and meter moreso than just randomly throwing words upon a page without any form whatsoever. Whi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ Insanity ~ ~ Insanity ~

A Poem by s y e