Labels

Labels

A Story by Lizzie
"

Just Enjoying the Humor That Comes With Life

"

 

Labels:  Just Enjoying the Humor that Comes with Life

296.56: That number is the code from the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual(DSM-IV) published by the American Psychiatric Association. "Bipolar I disorder most recent episode depression, in remission" are the words for this code. My psychiatrist checks it on that long list of codes, and then faxes my form off to the insurance company.

My insurance company loves me. I know this because I get many letters from them. The special letters are the ones from "Behavioral Health." They love me so much they created a specific department for my needs. It is important that I, my psychiatrist, and my therapist abide by their numerous "policies." That is if we want them to pay. Just one wrong number, letter, or forgotten notification can get us in trouble and I hate being in trouble with the insurance people.

I think the code 296.56, makes the insurance folks happier than it does me. I envision a insurance controller somewhere hollering: "Yes, this one got through again without hospitalization and look, she is still taking the generic form of Prozac! This thought makes me feel important and more loved. It does not bother me what I am labeled with as long as my moods are under control. Yes, I hate the stigma and I would love for this illness to magically disappear, but I can't get hung up on labels and diagnosis.

Recently, I went to my regular doctor. We discussed my options and I walked my form up to the front desk. While walking I checked the code. It was 455.5. Yep, that's right, "External hemorrhoids with other complications." Like I said, I can't get hung up on labels.

 

© 2008 Lizzie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on June 7, 2008

Author

Lizzie
Lizzie

GA



About
I am a professional currently working on a master�s degree in my field. My name is Lizzie. As I make my passage through life dragging a diagnosis of bipolar along, I hope my journey unfo.. more..

Writing
Ode to the Day Ode to the Day

A Story by Lizzie