Syringe

Syringe

A Story by Anthony Wayne

Jared’s head pounded. His lips felt dry. As another bout of shakes began to take him, he glanced at the bathroom counter. The syringe was still there, staring, or glaring? There was a voice in his head. Asking, demanding, almost ordering him to plunge it and its contents into his arm. And Jared didn’t know that he had it in him to drown it out anymore.


He sat, his back against the wall in more ways than one, and stared at the fluorescent bulb above his head. Glowing dots, demons and sprites danced across his vision threatening to blind him. His head lolled to one side, with his arm still around the toilet. Getting up again and again to vomit had begun to prove too much for him so he’d just crawled into the bathroom to let the last of the heroin leave his body.


He could hear his phone ringing. The guys at the office? Couldn’t be. They’d given up on their star trader a while ago. Jared’s chest rose and fell raggedly. Stretching out his arms, he endeavoured to concentrate on the goose-bumps on his skin and raised arm hair, as the shaking started again.


How long had it been? Since that last, fleeting escape? A day? It was difficult to tell time in a bathroom with only one tiny window. He thought he heard a banging on the…front door? Or was that the pounding in his head?


Thanks to the one tiny window, Jared could tell whether it was night or day. All his brain seemed to remember was that lightheaded euphoria, that floating freedom. Armed with those memories, Jared’s brain desperately pleaded with him to repeat it, just once more, just one more time!


“No. I said I was done, and this time I meant it.”


Next thing he knew; the window had changed from a deep blue to a bright golden yellow. His brain had stopped trying to force its way out of his skull. Jared got to his feet and tottered over to the counter. He didn’t recognise the pale, gaunt skeleton staring at him from the mirror.


He looked down, and picked up the syringe. He cradled the needle in the palm of his hand, resisting the urge to plunge it into his arm.


The next three steps were the most difficult he'd ever taken. As his trembling body protested and his mind thundered at him, Jared forced one foot up and in front of the other. As he reached the toilet, he let the syringe fall from his hand into the water. He pushed the flusher, breaking into a smile, a real smile, for the first time in what felt like forever.

© 2016 Anthony Wayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Fantastic!!! I love the theme... the struggle and the strength as well

Posted 7 Years Ago


What a powerful story you have written here, Anthony. When your demons are that close to you, and you throw it away, truly shows inner strength. Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nothing can be stronger than the "Inner strength". And once that takes the situation into control, neither the heart nor the mind can beat it. I love this thought provoking story. Especially the concept of helping one's own self without depending on another individual is very inspiring.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Good for him. It takes a lot of strength to do something like that.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You've done a great job of showing us the many details of a person going thru withdrawals, including the fight one might have in one's head over the continuation, or quitting. It's all stated with so much realism, but not a bunch of gratuitous drama. I really love it when a writer captures a scene as truthfully as possible, using many details & much imagery, as you've done here. I also love that the long fight ends up to be victorious for the quitting addict.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I enjoyed reading your poem..Very emotional and expressive write. Breaking an addiction is never easy. Withdrawal..the Physical symptoms and mental battle to resist is overwhelming..just getting through that first night is rough. I liked the last sentence."As he reached the toilet, he let the syringe fall from his hand into the water. He pushed the flusher, breaking into a smile, a real smile, for the first time in what felt like forever." Thank you for sharing. Good Job. Keep writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Anthony Wayne

7 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it
This piece really pulls no punches when describing how someone addicted to drugs struggles to resist the urge to 'use'. It is really well-written and equally well researched. I think I spotted the word 'spirits' with an 'e' in it but, other than that, I thought it was really great. I will be reading more of Anthony's work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Anthony Wayne

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review. Just to clarify; I mean to write 'sprites' - similar to a spirit but more of.. read more
Belinda Bennett

7 Years Ago

Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated.
They way you write about addiction is very well written and described!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very scary look at addiction. Sobering, in more ways than one.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oh boy. That's so good Anthony! Powerful imagery and you transfer the feelings of addiction so well. Hope I can read more like this.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

500 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 5, 2016
Last Updated on October 5, 2016

Author

Anthony Wayne
Anthony Wayne

Lahore, Pakistan



About
A successful clothing store typically offers a diverse range of products to cater to different tastes, preferences, and occasions. This might include casual wear, formal wear, activewear, loungewear, .. more..

Writing
Motel Motel

A Story by Anthony Wayne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I love my... I love my...

A Poem by Quinn W