Why?

Why?

A Story by Alexandra Elizabeth
"

Please don't stab me...

"
My breath was shallow, the air was hot and volatile. The floor of the rooftop dungeon was scorching my feet. I ran my hands along the stone walls, they burned to the touch like so many fires in the devil's spine. I continued walking down this long hallway, lit bright orange by the setting sun. All at once I found myself at a large, arched wooden and steel door. I heaved my shoulder against it and as the door gave way I plummeted down into darkness.
When I landed a second later I was in a tight corridor. The walls had panels of purple, orange, yellow, and red. The theme of bright and maddening colors continued on the ceiling and the floor.
I found a blade at my side, a simple knife, rusted on the edges and lacking any embellishment. I stumbled down the hall, there were no sounds save my breathing and the heavy fall of my own footsteps. When I reached the end of the hall I came to a stairway on my right, it was perhaps even more narrow than that passage i had been in, being no wider than my shoulders. I made my way up the steps, slowly but surely, keeping my blade raised as high as the narrow passage would allow.
Once I had found the top of the stairs I saw an open panel in the wall. there was a small room, the color of which was the same bright, sickening orange that had presented itself in mere spurts along the hallway. My heart skipped a beat as I realized what was inside the room. It was a creature that I can only describe as a large black blob. It presented no definite shape and had but nubs for arms. The creature wore a purple robe trimmed in gold.
I was taken off guard by seeing something moving inside the room, so much so that I prepared to attack it with my blade without a second thought. As my knife plunged into the creature I heard an utterance from the region which i would assume to be its head. In a soft, mournful voice it said "please don't stab me"
To my surprise, my attack did not injure the creature, it felt as if i was stabbing some thick rubber substance. I pushed the blade at the creature but it's flesh was not punctured and its form molded around my weapon.
Once again I heard the voice, "Why did you do that?" it said, in all its sad innocence. I withdrew my blade and stared in awe. Then, everything went dark and I was left with my own inescapable guilt for attacking something that had done me no harm.
"why did you do that?" the voice grew softer until it turned into a strange buzz. My arm was heavy. I grasped for the source of the noise and felt my phone. My eyes reluctantly opened to see the blinding screen of my cell phone. On the screen was a picture of an alarm clock. I groaned and landed my thumb on the off button.

© 2011 Alexandra Elizabeth


Author's Note

Alexandra Elizabeth
this is a dream I had a while ago, I know, it doesn't make much sense, but there you have it

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on June 29, 2011
Last Updated on June 29, 2011