Save a Life

Save a Life

A Story by LizLadyNinja
"

About Dusty

"

 

You never think it’s going to happen to you. It never happens to the people with the “good life.” It never happens to people who love everyone and everything. It never happens to good people. But it does. It happens to everyone. No one is in exclusion from it. The worst part is; you can’t control it.

                My friend Dusty was one of those people that everyone liked. He was the kind of person that people generally liked to hang out with. He was a chick magnet. He always had the pretty girls clinging to him. In fact, we had once had to fend the girls off with sticks. Seriously, no joke. Dusty had charisma, and he brought laughter wherever he went.

                Perhaps that’s why it is so hard to accept. Perhaps that is why no one wants to believe it. But here we are. And he is gone. No one’s going to speak. We will all remain quiet. Perhaps you know what I mean.

                The girls huddle in the corner sobbing. But I stand alone—numb. He’s dead. But Dusty can’t die. Dusty has to go on to college, find the cure for cancer, cure world hunger, and end child abuse. That was his goal! That was why he was here. But now, he just lays there; silent, peaceful, and dead. He left us all behind.

                He made everything look so easy. He took AP Calculus, and AP French and never broke a sweat. He played the piano, trumped, guitar, drums, and base and made it look as easy as walking. He could do anything. He took time out of his day to work with under privileged children, and he never complained. Rather he came to school and told us all how much he loved working with the kids. He served hot meals to the poor with his church on Wednesday nights. And he said it was the most fun he had ever had.

                Dusty loved people, and he loved life. So why did he have to die? What am I going to do without him?

“And I would have stayed up with you all night,
Had I known how to save a life”

--How to Save a Life

The Fray

                                                                                                    ©2005

© 2008 LizLadyNinja


Author's Note

LizLadyNinja
In the works

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have read a lot of poems and sorts about death, but you did a good job with it. I don't know if you did it on purpose but you touched on a lot of things. Like the third paragraph hits home with how a lot of us deal with things, we just turn away because we don't want to face the truth. And I also like the adjective "numb" I know some people might call it clich�, but some blows knock the feeling right out of us.
One last thing, I expected the cause of death to be a suicide. Then again I am only speaking from past experiences. Suicide or accidents always seems to happen to those you would lest expect.

keep writing though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was just doing my daily reading and came across this... I think we all had or will have a Dusty in our lives. We should cherish each other while we're still here. Your piece is especially moving, and I thank you for letting me have the honor of reading it.

Posted 3 Years Ago


To your eyes He was perfect, an example to follow, the message he left behind don't ignore it. His work was done. A wonderful story, very well writing with honesty and emotions, you are a good friend and grieving for your special friend. Thank you for sharing. God Bless you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is good. It captures the difficult to grasp reality about death. I would possibly consider to gramatical clean ups and a few rephrasings, but otherwise it works well. I also see that this is "in the works" so maybe you're already planning on some of that.
"

Posted 15 Years Ago


God bless dusty

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dusty sounds like he was too good for this world. The rest of us have to work our tails off to accomplish a fraction of what came naturally to him.

"In fact, we had once had to fend the girls off with sticks. Seriously, no joke." This could be a story in itself.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have read a lot of poems and sorts about death, but you did a good job with it. I don't know if you did it on purpose but you touched on a lot of things. Like the third paragraph hits home with how a lot of us deal with things, we just turn away because we don't want to face the truth. And I also like the adjective "numb" I know some people might call it clich�, but some blows knock the feeling right out of us.
One last thing, I expected the cause of death to be a suicide. Then again I am only speaking from past experiences. Suicide or accidents always seems to happen to those you would lest expect.

keep writing though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

life is too sad to believe at times isn't it? thanks for sharing that so eloquently.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...
i just got that song and was listening to it on repeat the whole night long
the next day i came here and see this new piece, so i came and read it
i wonder if its a coincidence or something else
*shakes my head toclear that thought*

the first paragraph is so true...
i think that the whole piece just enforced what is said there

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1086 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 30, 2008

Author

LizLadyNinja
LizLadyNinja

Denver, CO



About
I joined Writerscafe almost 10 years ago, when it was in its infancy. I dealt with the breakdown when it lost our writing and many of my pieces were unrecoverable. Which, as you can imagine was pretty.. more..

Writing