Chapter 10: Surprises

Chapter 10: Surprises

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I had no idea exactly what I had gotten myself in until that night. I was sitting down in the lounge of the hotel we stayed at with Max. He was talking with Clary on the phone, but I’d rather be here than upstairs. I was still pissed at Michael and almost everyone else was asleep. I watched Kyle sitting outside in the rain with a paper bagged bottle that was fooling no one.

 

“What are you wearing?” Max asked, “I wish I could be there.”

“Oh please,” I rolled my eyes.

“If you don’t like it then go across the street,” he pointed, “There is a used bookstore there.”

“Very well,” I pushed him off the bench then went across the street. As I stepped inside the store, an old man behind the cash register looked up and observed me.

“We don’t own Twilight or Hunger Games,” he informed me.

“Likewise,” I waved.

 

“We are closing in ten minutes,” he leaned back in his chair, “Are you going to make me stay late?”

“I am just going to look around quickly,” I headed down into the aisle labelled Classics. I needed something to read to distract myself. I was wandering through the titles when I found one that held my attention. “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” I picked it up and ran my hand down the embossed front cover. This was my favourite book growing up. I took it up to the counter and handed a twenty dollar bill.

 

“It’s only fifteen,” he told me.

“Keep the change,” I hugged my book to myself then left the store. I felt better knowing the guy wouldn’t hate my ‘kind’ as much now. That was what I hoped for anyways. I went straight for the staircase and took them two at a time to the third floor. I opened the door to Cass and my room then immediately wanted to close it again.

 

“Jed, ah,” Cassia cried out and the two of them rolled off the bed. I knew the sounds she was making and there was no reluctance in him. Kyle, I thought of him sitting outside the hotel with the roof dripped down on him. “Jed.” She got up as I closed the door. She looked over at me and her smile disappeared.

“Cassia,” I said crossing my arms.

“Please don’t judge,” she turned red, “It’s hard to explain, but I have my reasons okay.”

“You’re dating Kyle,” I said then Jed got up and I got a flash of his downstairs, “Jed put some pants on.”

“Em, please,” Jed said covering himself with a towel, “Just don’t tell anyone.”

“Who would I tell?” I said then opened the door, “I am the queen of freaking secrets, apparently.”

“I’m sorry,” Cass gave me a pleading look.

“It’s your choice; you know what you’re doing obviously,” I slammed the door closed and leaned against the wall next to the door, “Kyle, I wish I was a better person; I wish she was.”

 

“Deke,” I heard from around the corner and I peeked into the next hallway. I saw my brother leaning in Deke’s doorway. “I hate hiding,” my brother leaned forward and I watched Deke peek out. They were kissing and all I could do was stare.

“We could get caught,” Deke broke away first.

“I don’t see why we should,” Neill commented, “We both are suffering in secrets.”

“We need to keep it a little longer,” Deke pecked Neill’s lips again, “We’ll break it to Emmy first; she reacted fine to my testimonial.”

“She might be surprised by mine though,” Neill sighed, “My mother and father didn’t take it so well.”

“They’re wrong,” Deke pulled him into the room and the door was closed behind them.

“Neill and Deke,” I ran a hand through my bangs, “Kyle, Jed and Cassia, I need…” I knew exactly what I needed, but I wouldn’t attempt it. I sat down on the floor and fidgeted trying to keep my mind off Mika. My phone rang in my pocket and I checked the caller ID.

 

“Hello,” my father said when I answered, “I have a surprise for you.”

“What is it?” I asked looking up at the ceiling, “Have you got my schooling information yet?”

“I am sending a plane ticket to your next town,” he said, “Your mother is dying to see you.”

“How would you know?” I questioned.

 

“What did she say, Clifford?” my mother’s voice made my skin crawl.

“You’re letting her and her boy toy stay with you, dad; what are you thinking?” I got to my feet.

“They haven’t picked out a place of their own yet and I have a guest house that’s well suited for them,” he said innocently.

“Mom is taking advantage of you,” I warned him, “Don’t think I am coming back there to live with her.”

“Emmeline, she is your mother,” he snapped.

“She isn’t my mother; I don’t have one,” I said coldly, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have someone here that I need to apologize to; tell mom to stop eating little children.”

 

“Excuse me,” my mother shouted into the phone.

“Bye, mom,” I said.

“That little-” she began and I hung up. I felt bad for my dad, but he had to realize my mother would never go back to him. He deserved better anyways. I needed to talk to Mika, he was the only one here I could talk to right now. Everyone else was in one or two relationships, so it should have made sense to me that Michael had a girlfriend. I couldn’t blame him for not wanting to tell April about our history. I knocked lightly on the door and quickly wrote down a note for him.

 

“Em,” he opened the door, “Exactly who I wanted to talk to.”

“We don’t have to talk about April; I just wanted to apologize for overreacting to something that really wasn’t any of my business,” I cleared my throat and handed him the note, “That should explain my side.”

“Right,” he took the note and ripped it in half then started to shred it with his hands, “Come on in then.”

“You can use notes, but I can’t,” I said and he gestured for me to come in, “You have five minutes, no more and no less.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he closed the door behind me and I went over to the small table and chair set.

“I didn’t realize you were considering leaving the group,” I said sitting down, “I hope I am not making you speed up that decision.”

“I don’t want to leave the group,” Mika stayed standing, “It’s just that April’s family are high society and musicians don’t exactly make a ton of money.”

 

“Do you love her?” I asked.

“She’s great,” he shrugged.

“What kind of answer is that?” I laughed.

“What?” he frowned.

“She’s great,” I faked his voice, “She can clean up after herself and everything.”

“We’ve only been together for a number of weeks; I just want it to feel right and with all the lying,” he sat down, “I want to be an honest person.”

“You are most of the time; you are a good singer, but a horrible actor,” I laughed, “You chew on your lip every time you lie.”

“It’s a wonder it isn’t constantly bleeding,” he agreed, “She expects better of me.”

“You expect better of you, you mean,” I raised an eyebrow, “April is normal and uninvolved in this side of your life; if she’s what you want then tell her the truth and she might surprise you.”

 

“You’re promoting my relationship now,” he seemed incredulous.

“Of all the secrets and things I’ve seen lately, you having a girlfriend doesn’t even make the top 10 list,” I put on a smile, “I am happy that one of us has got themselves a partner.”

“I know you secretly wish it was you,” he grinned.

“What secret is that?” I smiled back at him, “I am selfish girl; I always wanted the happy ending.”

“At least you admit it,” he commented, “You had some road blocks and detours.” His eyes fell on my bandages and I reached out taking his hand.

 

“Mika, I know you pretty well; you think that part of the blame for these is yours,” I watched him look over at me with pain in his eyes, “It’s not.”

“You don’t know that,” he whispered.

“I know myself now,” I replied, “I did it to get away from that school; it was destroying me from the inside out and I couldn’t figure out how to stop myself from overreacting.”

“If it wasn’t my fault,” he took a deep breath, “It was, I started you down this road.”

“You’re giving yourself a lot of credit,” I chuckled.

 

“When your dad called,” he muttered.

“I know it was hard on all of you; I know I shouldn’t have worried you,” I felt tears in my eyes again.

“I don’t want you to go away,” he squeezed my hand and his next words came out in a sob, “Please don’t.”

 

“Hey, this little sister figure isn’t going anywhere,” I got up and pulled him up too, “I owe you guys so much already.”

“I’ll keep a tab,” he said trying to laugh.

“You know what I mean,” I wiped a tear out from under his eye, “I haven’t seen you like this since Davie broke your leg, Townsend.”

“I haven’t seen you this nice since then,” he joked.

“No one is perfect,” I pulled him over to the bed, “You need to get some sleep; I need somewhere to write.”

“You promise you won’t suffocate me in my sleep,” he crossed his arms.

“You’ll just have to find out,” I flopped onto the left side of the bed, “You get the right side, it’s closer to the window so you get the fresh air.”

“So generous,” he laid down on his side, “If I start to talk in my sleep, put your headphones in.”

 

“Yes, sir,” I took out my notebook and started to write down ideas for chapters I hadn’t written yet.

“Night,” he turned off his light and I rolled onto my other side. After awhile, I got tired of writing. I climbed in under the top blanket and turned off my light. I was just dozing off when I felt Mika’s hand touch one of my curls.

 

“I still love you, Em,” he whispered and my eyes shot open. He couldn’t mean it. This was a bad dream, but somehow deep down I knew it wasn’t.


© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on April 27, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Tags: music, fiction, life, writing, song, drums, power, love, rules


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose