Plans

Plans

A Story by Mariah Mcintyre
"

A story about how life happens when your busy aking other plans. Literally.

"

Never had a pain such as this existed in my life. My heart had never ached for so long and never hurt as increasingly bad as this. All this time I had been looking, planning, for one thing, hoping and dreaming that someday I would find it, never even thinking life could throw me such a curve ball. It's not that I wasn't careful, and I am most definetly not niave, but I guess I just got so distracted that I forgot to think of all the possibilities, letting myself be dragged along this road I never had thought could exist for me.

 

I never knew that such a man existed in this world, that such a man could thrust upon my heart so much aggony. And I never planned for any of this to happen, but such a man did exist. I can not bear to even think his name, but no matter how hard I try his face haunts me. His betraying grin spread across his unusually ugly face, the face I used to think was beautiful, the face I would hold in my hands and never wish to let go. Now it was the same face I hoped to never see again for as long as I lived this miserably cold world.

 

As I stared down at my feet I could feel the tears dropping like, blood from my rough throat, onto the cold concrete sidewalk. The brisk morning air nipped at my cheeks and nose, making my whole body sting worse. It was silent, with the exception of the ringing in my ears, as I continued my never ending walk through central park where the winter trees threatened to reach down and grab me.

 

Suddenly my feet got caught and my body flung forward off the ground landing perfectly on my stomache, but right before I began to scream for the trees to let me go I looked up and saw a completly horrified man looking right back at me. For a moment I was stunned by his gorgeous green eyes and rough hazel hair, but quickly came to my senses as he spoke.

 

"Are you alright?" With a quick movement, he had me sitting on the bench next to him. "I'm so so so sorry, I was day dreaming and must have not seen you passing by..." His voice trailed on but my mind lingered.

 

"No it was completly my fault, I wasn't watching where I was going." I spurt out finally realizing how awful I must look. "Man could this day get any worse." I mumble to myself, though I'm sure he heard me.

 

"Well are you hurt?" He asked looking me over worried. "I'll be more than happy to pay for any hospital bills." This made me smile.

 

"No, I'm fine." I wipped the snow from my clothes and stood to leave. "I should be going."

 

"No, please stay. You look like you could use some company right now." He said grabbing my wrist and tugging on my sleeve.

 

"WHy do you say that?" I asked rather defensivly.

 

"The truth is I saw you coming, but I guess I was trying so hard to think of something to say to stop your crying I wasn't paying much attention to where you were walking." He looked down reluctantly. "And your beautiful face, was just as distracting." His hand slipped off mine making my heart begin to ache again, for no known reason to me. I couldn't think of words to speak, so my mouth hung open unsurely. I took a step forward thinking maybe it wasn't a good idea to stay. "Wait." He said surprising me, making me turn halfway to look at him. "I could use some company..." I turned again to leave knowing it would be a stupid mistake to stay and talk to a stranger. "My names Danny..." He said surprising me again like he had read my mind.

 

"I'm sorry but I should leave..." I began to walk again, knowing that this was the end. This was the last time I would see his beautiful face, but I didn't dare turn. It was a hopeless effort if I tried to really get to know him.

 

"I'm not like him." He said from just behind me. He had stood to follow me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I mean, I don't know who he is, but I know I could never hurt you the way, whoever hurt you, did." I looked him in the eyes once more, searching for a way to trust him. "And what you were planning to do later today, maybe tomorrow, or the next day... it would be letting him win. Letting him get to you, when you have so much better a life to live."

 

"How did you...?"I asked amazed by how fast my heart was beating, as a painless tear fell down my cheeks, like he was some kind of medicine that healed the gapping whole in my chest.

 

"I can see it in your eyes." He smiled trying to get me to return the gesture.

 

"I can't see what's in yours." I said being honest. His whole being was a mystery to me, but never had I been so curious before.

 

"I can tell you." He said smiling again. This time I gave in to his pearly white teeth and let my lips curl upward.

 

The ache, the pain. Gone. Never did I feel it again, never did I hurt. The man, Danny, made sure of it. I guess the saying life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans is really true.

© 2008 Mariah Mcintyre


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this feels so real and true
nice job, so very well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is incredible!!!!!!
I do hope that I meet someone like this Danny.
Isn't it amazing how when life turns bitter, that God sends someone to stop to rain??

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 15, 2008

Author

Mariah Mcintyre
Mariah Mcintyre

san diego, CA



About
I started writing here at the age of 16 and now years later, at 26, I'm back to rediscover my creative outlet. Thanks for reading and rating :) more..

Writing