A Tower Unseen (preview)

A Tower Unseen (preview)

A Story by Lothaq
"

A preview of an entry for the Ayakashi Ghost Guild Cloud 9 "competition".

"

Neil stood on top of the hill and looked down upon the city.  This used to be the best view into the city, with the iconic skyscrapers in the city centre commanding the view.  Now that view was lost, with the new developments at this northern highway entrance to the city.  New apartment blocks rose up into the sky, blocking the view of the city behind.  This always bothered Neil, whenever he took the highway down this hill.


Now, something else was bothering him.  There was another tower, rising up high into the skies, blocking out even the latest highrises.  Well - to his eyes it blocked the view of all else.  Most people driving down the hill would not see this tower.  Most would not see an impossibly high, anachronistic - ancient Japan! - tower piercing the darkening sky.  This particular tower was something best relegated to the Ghost Whisperer, if only it was not part of Neil’s life for the past two years.


Two years?  Had it really been that long?


“Master?”  A voice called out from over Neil’s shoulder, breaking him out of his reverie.


It was the wrong voice, of course.  A little bit too cheerful.  Ameno was certainly a lovely ghost - yes, a ghost! - but she was no Mira.  Neil’s regular ghostly companion had gone missing a few days ago and Ameno, sensing the void, had stepped forward to be the liaison between Neil and the rest of his spiritual entourage.  For three days now Neil had been searching for clues to the whereabouts of Mira.


“Is that the Other Side taking over?”  Ameno was gazing towards the upper levels of the ghostly tower, which seemed to be shrouded in darkness.  The higher floors were barely visible though the gloom.


Neil turned his gaze upwards too.  “Nah, that’s just the haze.”


“Oh.”  Ameno’s robe fluttered in the slight breeze as she turned to Neil.  “Should we be wearing masks?”


“You’re a ghost, Ameno.”  Neil sighed, still peering upwards.  “You don’t need to wear a mask.”


“Oh yeah!  What about you, Master?”  Ameno smiled sweetly at Neil, her hands clasped behind her back.  Neil swore she was ready to whip out an assortment of facemasks at a moment’s notice.


“Uh, no.  It’s not so bad.”  Neil sniffed the air.  “Just smells a bit weird, that’s all.”


“Oh, ok!”  Ameno turned back to the tower and took a step closer to Neil.  His skin tingled as his heightened senses recognized her proximity.  It was something he had shrugged off in his earlier life, but now he recognized it as his rare “ghost sense”.


“Alright then.  Let’s do this.”  Neil turned his head slightly and took in Ameno’s wide grin.  It was infectious and Neil smiled - in spite of himself - in anticipation of the adventure ahead.  “We’ve got a tower to climb!”

© 2014 Lothaq


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it! I like how the style and character are consistent through out and of course funny. I want more haha

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lothaq

9 Years Ago

Thanks! There's definitely more, and now I'm thinking of posting it in Chapter form.
So good :) I'm want to read more!!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lothaq

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm currently considering expanding on this story and will post .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 1, 2014
Last Updated on September 1, 2014
Tags: fanfiction AGG

Author