Racism and Me

Racism and Me

A Story by The One Unknown
"

This is a very hard topic for me to write about and for others to read and/or listen to. This is my view of the topic, without using any profane language.

"
Racism, the topic that is very popular, especially in America. But why? Why is it that this topic is so widespread that it is an infectious disease? Why? Is it because that people now do not like how African-Americans were treated in the past? Or is it because people feel guilty about being the source of the topic? I know why. It is because it still exist, and the new generation does not like that. They say,"That person was very racist, you should not be around them".
However, the new generation cannot understand that no matter how much they try to do something about it or avoid it, racism will still exist. It will take centuries to reverse what has been around for centuries. So, in the mean time, what do we do? If you go to a job and and there is a person that says a racist joke or slur to you or around you, would you quit your job? Would you refuse to to work with that person, even if that person was above your position? Would you report it? Even if you report it to your boss, would they even care or do anything about it? Some of these questions might get the answer of "yes" by some of the viewers of this story. With all of that, saying the answer "yes" to these questions, in my opinion, would not be a bright idea. The reason being is that no matter where you go, or what job you work at, racism will be waiting right there waiting for you. So what should you do? EMBRACE IT (yes i said it). To be honest, in the end, it does not matter what people say to you, it matters about how you react to it. I knew a man who worked at a steel factory with a group of people that did not like him because he was black. One man in particular really did not like him and said that he hated to work with the black man because he was black. However, the black man never retaliated back at the man, he instead kept going on with life with a smile and kept on being nice to the man. Now, in present day, those two men are friends. They even celebrate birthdays together. This shows to prove that if you embrace racism, people will change their view, mainly because they are starting racism out of fear of the race, like bullying. A girl said a racist joke that her grandfather knew as a child, and people came to me and said that I should not hang around her because of what she said. What the people do not realize is that she grew up around that kind of stuff and that was okay to tell, even though it was very offensive. What they also do not realize is that people should not run away from that just because it happened, because it will DEFINITELY happen again later in life. Did I think that the joke was racist? Yes. Am I going to start a protest because of it? No. They do not realize that at the end of the day, they do not have to worry about racist people that they have to face the next day. However African-Americans do. And all we can do for right now is go through it, because this racism topic is far from over.

© 2015 The One Unknown


Author's Note

The One Unknown
Comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on January 17, 2015
Last Updated on January 17, 2015