The sky above me

The sky above me

A Poem by lyss

Looking up into the sky

All my dreams, hopes, expectations

Floating above my head.

It's time.

I never saw myself getting here,

I never thought i'd make it.

I always thought i'd give up, cut my wrists, suffocate

Because life didn't seem worth it.

I wanted to make those around me feel my pain,

They never understood.

 

Now i'm looking up at the sky,

I made it

Tears drip down my cheeks.

I'm so happy,

I made it.

How was I to know that this was waiting for me?

I didn't, but I'm so glad I stayed.

 

All my dreams, hopes, expectations

Floating above my head,

Reminding me

I have to continue.

 

I am happy now.

I am happy and I made it

rejoice for it was worth it.

The pain

The sorrow

The struggles

They are nothing

Because I made it.

 

All those dreams, hopes, expectations

Are just within reach.

 

I reach out

Grab them, hold them tight.

They give me comfort, the warmth I lacked when I was younger.

Now I am ready to live.

 

© 2013 lyss


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I felt very connected to this piece while reading it. It describes exactly how I feel and have felt on a couple different levels.
I feel that the repetition of some of the words/phrases is completely acceptable in this type of piece (someone mentioned that they thought it was a bit redundant). Personally, When experiencing the types of emotions that this made me relate to in my own life, intense joy, extreme sorrow, or complete anger, I have a tendency of repeating my thoughts over and over, because it helps me get a better grasp on them. I think this is perfect.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love the theme. I can relate, i like the image of the sky you portray.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This pulls out so much emotion in me! i feel that I am where you were at when you wrote this, so many times, i thought i would just end it, the pain the struggles. I didn't see myself making it out of my hell. But I look around me and I made it! I'm here!

beautifully written!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I thoroughly enjoyed this, it's wonderfully written and the third last stanza is brilliant and really leaves an impact when read. Well done and i look forward to the next piece of your writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I agree with quinfinn...sometimes the most difficult thing to do in life is to face our own demons; to look our own face in the mirror and say "get that crap out of your head and get on with your life". This is a sentimental write; powerful and evocative. I like the idea, and even more the way that you kept that thread of hope throughout.

Technically...I think you could cut this down just slightly. There was a little unnecessary repetition of things like "I made it" and such, but with a nice edit, this would be 100/100. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


sometimes we must force ourselves to endure the rigors and struggles of life, pain and all, to find our reward waiting at the other end of the journey. and the harder the journey, the greater the reward. you have described that well in this provocative piece. well penned and well met!

Posted 10 Years Ago


lyss

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) It really means a lot.
quinfinn

10 Years Ago

glad to be of service....anytime!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on May 12, 2013
Tags: happy, hopes, dream, sorrow, struggles, pain, sky, tears, cut

Author

lyss
lyss

Madera, CA



About
I am an avid reader and enjoy writing when the mood hits. more..

Writing
 A Someone  A Someone

A Poem by lyss



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..