Chapter 5- New Plan

Chapter 5- New Plan

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 5 of Vector of the Heavens

"

Riku stood in front of the Guardian statue.  He was contemplating all that was happening to him.  It had been a few weeks by mortal time since the attack on the Observatory.  For all he knew, the golden power had been corrupted and had yet to effect the mortal world, or something unexpected happened.  His descendant had given him sanctuary during this time, which seemed a bit strange, and Riku still didn’t know where to begin.  He looked down at the plaque on the statue and it read, “Guardian of Feather Falls: Riku”.  When he fell to the earth, he lost his wings and halo, and was now visible to all mortals, because he had become mortal again.  He didn’t know if killing himself would send him back to the Observatory or if he would finally go to the heavens.  However, he felt that something was amiss in the mortal realms.  Therefore, he decided to simply go on a journey and see if any of the other Guardians suffered the same fate as he, but he didn’t know where to begin.
“Excuse me, uh…Riku?”  Riku turned around to find Link walking up towards him.  He stepped away from the statue and walked over to him.
“Yes Link?  Is there something you need?”
“Just this, answer to a question I have been wondering about.  Are you not from the land of Xelador?  Your accent sounds like one of their people.”
“How did you know of the accents of the people of Xelador?  I didn’t think that people from this land really had contact with people from that country.”
“Oh I know.  We rarely do.  The only reason I know of that accent is because the ruler of Galor is from Xelador originally.  So therefore, he would likely have a Xeladorian accent.”
“Very interesting.  I didn’t know someone from my homeland was capable of taking a country and making it truly beautiful.  Who is the ruler of this land, if you don’t mind my asking?”
“You don’t know?  My friend, you have either been dead or living under a rock.  It has been common knowledge for nearly 2,550 years that the high elf Eraqus governs these lands alongside the great council of elves.”
“That is very interesting.  I wonder if he is related to my old friend with the same name.  Tell me Link, does anybody know what he did before he founded this country?”
“It’s all in his book sir.  He grew up in Xelador, joined the military for a few centuries, lost his family, and then lost his pupil and adopted son then formed a small band of soldiers and took this former colony of Xelador and made it an independent country.”  Riku was shocked.  The very same Eraqus that took him in, taught him everything he knew, was still living on as the ruler of a country?  He knew the first place he needed to go.
“Link, I have two favors to ask of you.  First, can you direct me to the place where Eraqus resides now, and second, can you give me a horse in order to travel to this place?”
“Why would you wish to see Eraqus Riku?  Not many people these days see him unless they are members of the government.  I don’t think you would be able to have an audience with him on just a whim.”
“It’s not just a whim.  Eraqus and I…we go way back.  I used to serve in the same unit as he did.”
“How is that possible?  This country is nearly 3000 years old.  You are only a half-elf.  The oldest half-elf in recorded history lived only 250 years.  If you served in the army with him, you should be dead by now!”
“Just trust me on this one Link.  I know Eraqus.  You don’t have to give me a horse, but all I ask is if you will point me the way to the capital of this country.”  Link contemplated this for a few minutes.  He told Riku he would think about the horse part, and went back to the ranch.  Malon greeted him with a kiss on the cheek, and asked him what was troubling him.  He explained what Riku wanted to do, and she then told him,
“I think you should not just give him the horse, but also go with him Link!”
“Don’t be silly Malon!  We’ve only been married for a few weeks now, and if what the medicine men say is the truth, caring about the ranch will be the least of your concerns.”
“You don’t need to worry about that Link.  Even if I am carrying our child, I think that me doing ranch work is a good way to stay in shape.  It’s better than lying around all day worrying that I am going to hurt the child.  Besides, it’s too early to tell if I am with child or not.  You know as well as I do that the medicine men get the facts wrong sometimes.  I also know that you want to go to the capital city as much as Riku does.  Besides, doesn’t something about him seem strange to you?”
“How so?”
“He claims he knows Eraqus, but Eraqus has had no recorded contact with half-elves ever since he started this country.  He just stays in the castle for whatever reason.  And also, Riku’s name is the same as that of the towns Guardian.  And if you look really closely, the armor on the statue looks very similar to the armor that belongs to Riku, don’t you think?”  Link had never really thought about this before.  The night that he first found Riku, he seemed to act like it was impossible for somebody like Link to see him at all.  Maybe, maybe it wasn’t that far off after all.  Maybe Riku really did know Eraqus, and then moved on to the next life, and was somehow brought back to the land of the living.  He made up his mind.  He walked out to Riku and told him that he would not just show him the way to the capital, but also escort him there personally.
“Are you sure about this Link?  What about your new family?”
“Malon will be fine.  I’m sure once you find Eraqus, you won’t need me any longer.  Besides, I would like to see how the public of a city likes our band of cheese and goods!”  They both laughed and then made their plans.  It would be about a three day ride from Feather Falls to the capital, but Riku was okay with that.  The next morning, they packed everything, got the horses ready, Link kissed Malon goodbye, and they began their journey to the capital of Galor, not aware of the dangers ahead.

 

“Are you certain about your report?  I did not make this escapade to attack the Observatory only to find out that my wish did nothing.”  The dark figure rose from his throne and walked over to Elitran, his attendant.
“My lord Demise, I am afraid that it is true.  When you laid hands on the golden power, rather than grant your deepest desire, it rather split itself into three pieces and found refuge in mortal hosts.  We know of the locations of power and wisdom, but courage still has yet to be found.”
“There is no need to rush.  The three sacred triangles are bound to each other.  They want to be bound together again.  And when they do, we shall be ready for them to take what is rightfully ours.  But first, tell me the name of the man who now possesses power.”
“His name is still unknown to us right now my lord, but we do know that he is the lord king of Malendor.”
“Ah, the dark lands.  How appropriate.  I think I will pay this king a “visit”.  Prepare the Gate of Darkness.”
“At once my lord.”



© 2016 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please tell me what you think. We're just about out of the intro and about to finally get into some of the good stuff.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on November 8, 2013
Last Updated on February 15, 2016


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.