Chapter 16- The Remains of Rage

Chapter 16- The Remains of Rage

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 16 of Vector of the Heavens

"

It was about midday when they first saw the smoke.  Riku and company were coming over a rise in the ground and saw what looked to be a forest fire.  They then realized that the fire was in the same general area as the village.  As they got closer, when they got within sight of the village, they realized that the fire was the village.  It had been completely ravaged and destroyed, and was still smoldering.  The groups pace turned from a walk into an all-out run.  The sun was beginning to set, and the shadows of the mountains were growing bigger by the second when they finally reached the outskirts.  The destruction was horrible.  It looked like a war zone had met a forest fire.  Complete and absolute destruction.  Traito and Thrito immediately started running throughout the remains in hopes of finding any survivors in the wreckage.  Link was trying to keep himself from throwing up, while Riku just stood there shocked.  When he heard a groaning coming from a nearby building, he snapped out of it and rushed over.  It was coming from underneath a large pile of rubble that had been badly burnt.  Riku called to Link to help him clear the debris, and they managed to find the elder, dying, trapped beneath a stone wall, and gasping for air.  Traito rushed over and instructed Link to continue helping Thrito with the search for other survivors.  Pulling out a sack of water from one of the packs, he offered it to the elder, who drank it thankfully.
                “Master, who did this to you?  Who else outside of us knew of the cities existence?  Please, tell me.”  The elder struggled to say anything, for any time that he tried to say a word, he would cough and ask for more water.  Finally, he spoke saying all that he could with his dying voice,
                “The dead…they rose up…destroyed…Demise…don’t let him gain…the courage…” with one last gasp of air, he breathed his last, and went cold in instants.  Traito tried to hold back tears, but was struggling.
                “Let it go son.” Said Riku.  “This tragedy cannot go without mourning.  This isn’t some war or battle where you let the dead lie, this is worse than that.”  Traito couldn’t hold it back any longer.  Tears flowed from his eyes, and Thrito lost his sense of control as well.  Sora put his hand on Thrito’s shoulder to somewhat comfort him, while Riku stood back and got down on one knee.  He closed his eyes and a small tear crept out his eye.  He remembered what Eraqus told him long ago.
                “This world is not made for people to live forever.  Even elves, who are immortal, taste death at one point or another.  Natural death is saddening, but it also means that the person has lived a long and happy life.  However, when life is cut short by violence, then that is to be mourned.  When a life is snatched away by the claws of hate, it gives no chance for the victim to say goodbye.  It just swallows him or her up and leaves them to suffer.  That is why Riku, you must remember, that no matter what circumstance or what reason, killing things out of hate only leads to one road: despair.”  Riku got back up and helped Traito to his feet when he was ready to move on.  They then scrounged the site for any supplies or even a trace of life that could somewhat lighten this darkened situation.  Nothing living was found, but they did find a hidden cache of herb seeds buried beneath Traito and Thrito’s old house, as well as an old historic tome buried beneath the old library.  At first, they thought it might lead to some answers about Demise, but it was no more than a simple spellbook that Traito had mastered months ago.  They also found some food that was only slightly burned and was edible enough to get Link and Riku to Burnia, but it wouldn’t be enough for all four of them.
                “We could give you both a lift on our ship to Galor.  You could start a new life there.  I mean, it’s the least we can do for you.”  Riku offered.
                “My family owns a ranch in Feather Falls.  They would be happy to take you guys in until you got a place of your own.  I mean, me and Riku also know the ruler of Galor.  You could probably crash with him…”  Traito cut Link off before he could finish.
                “Our elder gave me and Thrito one last command.  To make sure that Demise did not get the courage.  I will honor his last wishes, and I will personally take vengeance on Demise and those he used to destroy my home.”  Link was about to protest, but Riku put his hand on his shoulder, silently telling him not to argue.
                “And you Thrito?”
                “Wherever my brother goes, I go.  The last order from the elder was also my last order.  I will follow it through.  I will not rest until I have avenged the lives lost due to this dark event.”  Riku again nodded and asked them if there was some kind of funeral ritual the town had that they would like to perform for the village.  They said yes, and asked the two of them to wait outside the village.

 

Link and Riku sat down on one of the small hills just outside the village.  It was dark now, the sun having set only minutes ago.
                “Um, Riku?  What do you think their doing?
                “Paying their final respects to their home.  It only makes sense.  They just lost everything they had, and everyone they knew.  It is only right to honor the dead.” 
                “Huh.  Not sure I follow.”
                “When you go off and fight in a war, you might respect the dead a bit more.”
                “Maybe.  But don’t you think that their decision to go with us might not be wise?”
                “They want vengeance.  It is completely understandable.”
                “Wouldn’t it be easier for them just to try and honor the village’s memory instead of adding more bloodshed?”
                “It is not that simple.  If they did just what you said, then the beings that destroyed their home would destroy countless others.  And if they just gave up and let the enemy win, then the whole world would be destroyed.  Even if they hid, they would be found and destroyed.  The only way to fight fire is with fire.”
                “But, wouldn’t the world burn alongside it?  I mean, if the army of the enemy is already destroying lives, wouldn’t a war just add to the bloodshed?”
                “The lives of those determined to protect is always more honorable than the blood spilled by the innocent.  Now be quiet.  I think they are about to perform their funeral ritual.  Be quiet.  It shows respect.  Link watched in awe as Traito and Thrito each took a piece of the remains of the town and placed them where the center of the village would have been in the shape of an X.  They lit it on fire, and let it burn in the night sky.  Traito said something that Link couldn’t quite make out, then they walked over towards the group.   
                “What was that all about?” Link asked as they approached him.
                “It is custom to burn the dead on a pyre made of trees.  And since our village was dead, and our houses were made of trees, we did just that.  It is to symbolize that when someone dies, a part of the painting of nature dies with him or her.  Since the town was completely burned away, it is only right to take a part of the village and say that it wasn’t just a living thing, but also a part of nature.  In a way, the village was not just a pile of sticks and stones, but also a part of the nature of this world.  We grew up in this place, as did so many other people.  It only seemed right.”
                “Um…I don’t understand completely, but okay.”  Riku whacked Link on the back of the head when he said that.
                “Link, this is a hard time for them.  Give them some space.”
                “It doesn’t matter Riku.” Said Traito.  “Let us just be on our way to Burnia, and to your ship.”  With that said, they made their way to the port city of Burnia, with nothing but smoldering wood and memories behind them.

 

“Oh come on.  Again?!”  Link was standing in the exact same field as he had been in his dreams for the last several nights.  He looked around.  Same mysterious surroundings, same field, and as usual, the mysterious lady wasn’t here yet.
                “Look lady,  I know you are trying to be weird and mysterious and all, but this is ridiculous!  I mean, why not just tell me what I need to know instead of giving me these stupid context clues?!”
                “Because I can’t be discovered by him.”  The mysterious lady appeared out of thin air once again, and was wearing the same clothes she had been for the last several dreams.
                “Why not just tell me what I need to know.  I mean, it’s not like the world is going to end if you do, am I right?”
                “It’s not that simple.  You see…”
                “I’ve found you at last.”  They both looked up into the sky to see a giant black hole in the gaping sky with darkness spewing forth from it.  A giant being fell out of it and landed perfectly on one knee, head down, with flaming hair.
                “Uh, lady?  Who or what in the name of the goddesses is that?”
                “Demise.  So you have found me.”
                “My dear lady, I never lost you.  I just didn’t expect you to think that this pathetic boy was the chosen one.”
                “You prophecy won’t come true Demise.  The goddesses have seen to that.”
                “Why?  Just because they have hidden themselves from me?  Because they realize that they can’t destroy me without killing themselves?”
                “Um, I’m a bit confused here.” 
                “It doesn’t matter mortal! Once I am finished here, you won’t be confused ever again!  You’ll be stone dead before you can even think!  You would make a fine addition to my army.”  Demise, now standing upright, waved his hand in the air and a giant sword appeared out of nowhere.  He started to move towards Link, but then the strange lady got in the way, holding her arms out to the side to keep him from passing.
                “Stupid little lady.  Did you really think I was here to kill this kid?!  I was here to kill YOU!”  He swung his sword straight at her, and landed a direct hit…on her force field.  She held him, but was struggling to keep herself protected.
                “Link!  Listen to me.  When you get back to your ship, you must make sure that Riku tells the captain to set a course for Unto.”
                “What?  Why Unto?”
                “NO!!!” Demise yelled as he continued to punish the force field in between him and his target.
                “Trust me Link, it must be done.  A friend of Riku’s is already there.  Please, you must hurry.
                “NO!!!!”
                “You must wake up Link.”  Link looked around and saw the world around him begin to collapse as he felt himself getting pulled back into the waking world.
                “CURSE YOU…CURSE YOU SAGE OF TIME!!!”

 

“Uh, Link, are you okay?”  Link looked around and got his bearings.  He was on a hill within the mountains with the town of Burnia just off in the distance, about a half-day’s journey away.  He was lying in what was his sleeping blanket, but was now more like a rag for his cold sweat.  Thrito was standing over him with a confused look on his face.  Traito was standing over the cooking fire rubbing something on his arm and Riku was standing about three paces away facing the mountains where they had just come from.
                “I’m fine Thrito.  What’s wrong.”
                “You were twisting and turning and working up a sweat.  It almost as if you seemed like you were having a nightmare.”
                “Huh.  Didn’t really seem like one.  Weird dream though.”  Link got up and brushed himself off and went over to the fire where Traito was to grab some food.
                “Hey, Traito, do you mind?”
                “Can you give me a quick moment here Link?  I am trying to use one of my herbs.”
                “On your arm?”
                “Remember the spell sickness that fell upon me just the other day?”
                “Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.”  Link waited for Traito to finish, then got himself a bowl and what little scraps were still warm in the pot.  Afterwards, the group packed everything up and began the last stretch of their journey to Burnia.



© 2016 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Another long chapter, and I'm not even close to being done! Hopefully everybody is enjoying it, so let me know what you think of each chapter!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on January 16, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2016
Tags: Fantasy, action


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.