Chapter 1: Selection

Chapter 1: Selection

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter one of Burning Shadows

"

The lightsabers clashed. A flurry of blows creating flashes of light left and right. Jackson jumped up into the air and began slashing at Thomas' head. He began parrying them with defensive stances that he had learned from master Antanko. With a controlled force push, he caused Jackson to lose balance and almost drop his lightsaber. Before he could regain his balance, Thomas disarmed him with a quick side slice and pinned him down. Holding the saber to his throat, Thomas smiled.
“The duel is over. Deactivate your lightsaber youngling.” Thomas did as he was told and left the stage and sat down in the stands. He sat next to his best friend, Michal, who was the same age as him. Michal gave Thomas a high five as soon as he sat down.
“Dude, you kicked his butt.”
“Was there any doubt?”
“Well considering how much that jerk Jackson sold himself in the cafeteria for the last week or so, I think that the rest of the school would think so.” They both laughed.
“Next match, Michal Jenkins and Faith Insion. Please step forward to the duel arena.” Michal got up and picked up his training lightsaber.
“I won't beat up your girlfriend to badly.” he joked.
“Oh shut up Michal. You know how I feel about those kinds of jokes.” Thomas said blushing. Michal laughed, and made his way up to the podium. Thomas wanted Michal to win, but he was to busy gazing in awe at Faith. She was about his age, and was stunningly beautiful. But it wasn't her looks that made Thomas fall for her. It was her heart. A strong heart that glowed radiantly around others that got the attention of Thomas. His thoughts were interupted however, when an enraged Jackson gave him a slight shove in the back.
“I told you to throw the fight stupid! I gave you ten bucks to throw that match!”
“Yeah Jackson. Like I'd really just give up a chance to go to the Jedi Council after my Senior year just for a measly ten bucks. What are you, ten? We're not in elementary school any more. Just because you're a senior back home doesn't mean I have to obey every whim of yours at the drop of a hat.”
“Now listen here, just because you, your best friend and my girlfriend are the best juniors at the Jedi academy on Earth doesn't mean that you can be rude to a senior member! I will report you to Master Mike for this.”
“Actually Jackson, I already reported YOU to master Mike. Oh, and that whole thing about you going out with that freshman Minevra, I already told him about that to.”
“WHAT?! HOW DID YOU FIND OUT?!”
“I work at the hardware store, remember? I saw you next door at the restaurant with her. I heard your conversations. I don't think Faith OR the council are going to cut you a break Jackson. So just take a hike.” Jackson, furious, pulled out his lightsaber, and took a hack at Thomas. Sensing his motives almost instantly, Thomas jumped out of the way and landed right on the stage, just barely being able to dodge the swinging blades of Faith and Michal.
“Hey, I know you like these duels Thomas, but this is a bit close don't you think?” Thomas thought Michal said this, but he quickly noticed it was Faith who said that to him. He blushed a bright red when he realized who it was.
“Well, um... you see...” He was interrupted by a rage driven Jackson charging onto the stage. Using the force, Thomas managed to grab one of the instructors lightsabers and activate it in time to keep Jackson from hurting him or the other two on the stage. Fighting back against his fury of blows, Thomas held his own against Jackson, while also trying to block out the chanting from the crowd and the rambling yells of his opponent. It was about to be disrupted by the Jedi Council members in the room when something unexpected happened. Thomas seemed to reach out with the force and managed to lift Jackson straight up into the air. When it looked like Jackson was just going to break free like every force-sensitive person would, Jackson couldn't break free. Thomas threw him to the ground and stole Jackson's lightsaber before he could react. The masters were stunned. When they regained their senses, Jackson had stolen a different lightsaber. They were about to rush onto the stage to stop the conflict, but one of the senior Jedi council members held them back. The battle clashed still, and Michal and Faith jumped into the battle. Michal fighting by Thomas' side, with Faith at the side of Jackson.
“Faith, you don't deserve him. He's been cheating on you. He's been seeeing Minevra behind your back.”
“Please Thomas. I always knew you had a crush on me.” Thomas took a few steps backwards, causing Jackson to pin him on the ground.
“She's not going to believe you simpleton. Just because you feel like you are 'mr. right', you can't win this battle. Faith is mine, as well as Minevra. You can't win. Submit.”
“Um...Jackson? I'm standing right behind you.” Jackson whirled around and began slashing at Faith, forcing her into a defensive position.
“How could you?! I wasn't good enough for you?!”
“Fool. Nobody is good enough for me. I just wanted you. And when I got bored, I decided I wanted Minevra. I no longer need you. Now die.” He then used a force push to knock her back off her feet, causing her to lose her lightsaber in the process. She lay helpless on the ground as Jackson went in for the kill. But as his lightsaber swung down, they stopped in mid-air. Faith could see that he was struggling to try and move his arms, like he no longer had control of his actions. She assumed that one of the Jedi masters had stopped him, but was shocked to discover that it was Thomas who had rendered his attack useless.
“You can take me down, cut me, slice me, hurt me in any way possible Jackson, but I swear, you will not harm one hair on that woman's head!” Thomas yelled as he ripped Jackson's lightsaber from his hand. The Jedi masters decided it was time to put an end to this, and restrained Jackson.
“Jackson Murton of Earth, you are hereby removed from the Jedi academy and will face punishment back on your homeworld.” The Jedi guards took him to a nearby shuttle to take him to a transport ship back to Earth. As Thomas was being congratulated and thanked left and right, he noticed Faith on the ground still, with tears in her eyes. He brushed aside all the people and made his way towards her. They were about to follow him when Michal got in their way.
“Let them be people. They've both been through a lot.” Thomas sat himself down next to her, and comforted her. She was bawling. She didn't care that there were other people looking right at her. She just had her heart ripped out of her in an instant. She didn't care that Thomas was the only one there to comfort her, she just cried. As soon as she was done, the two of them looked up to see Master Yenzin standing above them with Michal at his left side.
“You both did well here today. And this tournament is no longer necessary. To Michal and Faith, the Council offers you both full ride scholarships into the Jedi University. And to young Thomas here, we offer you a place in the Jedi Order as soon as you graduate high school back on your own world.” Thomas was stunned. He was accepted into the Order just like that? He was about to immediately agree, then had second thoughts.
“You are troubled young Watson. Perhaps you wish to take some time to think about all of this?”
“Thank you Master. I would like that.”
“Just so you are aware, if you do wish to go through the University, we are prepared to offer you a full-ride scholarship as well. Let the force guide you in this decision.”
“Thank you master.” Thomas shuddered a little bit at this. The group left the arena and the next group entered after them. Thomas and Michal made their way to the shuttle back to Earth and grabbed seats next to one another. Michal bumped Thomas' fist once the shuttle lifted off.
“Dude...you kicked Jackson's butt. And you got accepted into the Jedi Council!”
“Yeah...I can hardly believe it myself. I just don't know...”
“Don't know what?! Whether or not you should take the best opportunity ever presented to you in your life?! Dude, this has been your DREAM to join the Council. Why wouldn't you want to join right away?!”
“It's your dream too man. And didn't we promise that we would join the Jedi Council together and become some of the best Jedi's?”
“We were only children then. Dude, if you have a chance to realize your dream, then take it!”
“I know I should, but dude, you're my best friend. I should really consider this decision. And it's not just that. I also think I could become a better Jedi through the experience at the University. I just need time to think and pray about it.”
“Still holding on to that religion of yours Thomas? The Force is real. Give up your silly Earthly superstition.”
“Superstition? Really Michal? If it were superstition, and the Force is the ultimate ruler of this universe as they all say, then why is Earth the only known planet to keep people from using the force? Just because the rest of the galaxy thinks that it is something to be worshiped doesn't mean I do.”
“So even though it seems to be an accepted truth to everybody, you still don't believe in it.”
“Pretty much yeah.”
“Oh. Okay.”



© 2014 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please tell me what you think and give me feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dee
I really enjoyed this, it was great fun to read! I especially liked when Thomas rendered Jackson's attack useless, but my favorite part was the ending, where Thomas showed his greatest strength! :)


Posted 9 Years Ago


Miles W.

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
This is lovely, I like the action here, it is quite a relief

Posted 9 Years Ago


Miles W.

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the Review! If there's anything you would like me to review, I'd be more than happy to!
Maglia Weaver Twill

9 Years Ago

Sure, anything! I'm just trying to write as much as possible to continue but I keep getting distract.. read more
Liked this very much! It became a little confusing at times since some scenes might have jumped (to me at least) a little too quickly, when they fight for instance and someone says: “Hey, I know you like these duels Thomas, but this is a bit close don't you think?”, that got me confused a little. But otherwise, I really liked this chapter!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Miles W.

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! I used those lines to try and make the characters seem slightly more human a.. read more
Great beginning, Thomas and Michal are great friends and their dialogues are very good. Gonna read the next chapter now, loved this, the action is flowing in an awesome way. Concluding at the end with Thomas in doubt in his mind is greater, I as reader is left in the cliff hanger if he will choose or not and why is it that he doesnot believe in the force. Will find out...
Good one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Miles W.

10 Years Ago

Thanks man! Anything specific you want me to review?
New Theory

10 Years Ago

Nothing in particular but you can read my other story Red Green Blue. I think you will like that. :).. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2014
Last Updated on June 2, 2014
Tags: Star Wars, sci-fi, parody


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scared Scared

A Poem by Emily


Stripping Bare Stripping Bare

A Poem by KWP