Chapter 3: Decision

Chapter 3: Decision

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 3 of Burning Shadows

"

The shuttle landed on Coruscant after a flight which seemed like ages. He was a nervous wreck. Would they be okay with his decision? Or would they scoff him and call him a fool? The representative of the Jedi Council was there to welcome him. Thomas got into the transport and they made their way to the Jedi Temple, the place where all Jedi lived as they served the galaxy. Thomas was directed to the chamber of the high council of Jedi, and saw all the famous Jedi that he had read about all sitting in their chairs in a windowless room. He recognized one of these Jedi's as master Elzan, a descendant of the famous Jedi master Yoda.
“Sit down, you may young one.” He said as a chair rose out of the floor in the center of the room. Thomas sat himself down and was very nervous about how they would react.
“Have you decided an answer to our offer Mr. Watson?” Asked one of the masters.
“Gentlemen, I have made my decision. I am going to give up being a Jedi.” The council was shocked. A few whispers went in between the many of the masters.
“Reasons, I sense you have for this decision you have given us.”
“Yes master. My father just was murdered by common criminals, and my mother is broken. I need to be there for her, and I can't do that as a member of the Jedi Council or attending the Jedi University. So there you have it. My reason for removing myself from the Jedi Order all together. I hope you understand.”
“Understand, more than you imagine, I do. And also, help you I can young one.” Thomas looked up at Elzan.
“Lived on Earth for many years, I did. Poor my family was. Joined the Council to try and get away from all of it I did, but different you are. Care much about your family you, so much that you are willing to give up all your dreams to support your only family. Let your mother live on Couruscant, the Council will, while live here you will, as a member of the Council. What say you young one?” Thomas was stunned, but not as stunned as the other members of the Council seemed to be. They were all talking about how someone descended from Yoda would live somewhere like Earth, and how he would be so rash to do such a thing without the Council's permission.
“Random this seems, yes, but lie to you, I do not. Since my great ancestor Master Yoda passed away on Dagobah, move away from that planet, my family did. And since no money had us, stranded we were on slum planets. Forget about us, Luke Skywalker did. And if he rememberd us, long gone from Dagobah we were. Wound up on Earth we did, when find us, the Jedi Council did. Take me and my sister to the Council they did, and when discovered who we were, with honors, they welcomed us. Before that however, died, my dear mother did at the hands of scumbags. Now, this young man with plight similar comes to my doorstep, not leave him out in the cold I will. Young Watson, brought to Coruscant your mother will be. Live a good life here she will, and be a member of the Jedi order, you also will be.” Thomas was stunned. Not only did he just have a chance to help his mother at the drop of a hat, but he also got a chance to live out his dream free of worry.
“Thank you Master Elzan. I will happily take the offer.”
“Now wait a minute...!” One of the other masters interjected.
“Let it go Kenobi. It would seem that Master Elzan has made up his mind, and I don't think we should go against that.” Another master responded. He looked like he wanted to protest more, but he then just sat down very annoyed. Thomas couldn't believe what was happening to him. He was going to be a Jedi.
“Your master, I will be. Learn the ways of the force, you will, my Padawan.”



Thomas was sitting by the creek looking down at the water again like he did the other day. He was extremely happy. His mother was back home packing her things for her move to Coruscant, and said she didn't need his help moving anything so he thought he would spend his last few minutes on Earth at probably the only beautiful thing this world had to offer him as far as nature was concerned. But while it was indeed beautiful, he couldn't help but fiddle with his hair, with his new Padawan hair knot dangling by his head.
“Dude, you became a Padawan just like that?!” Thomas turned and saw Michal standing right above him.
“Not just a Padawan, but the Padawan of Master Elzan.”
“Get out!”
“Yep.”
“Dude, congrats. You earned it. Really.”
“Yeah, but now you've got to live on this dirt world for another couple years.”
“Dude, you deserve this, and you know as well as I do that you mother needs this move.”
“It's not just you I don't want to leave.”
“Dude, Faith will be fine. Just go live your dream. And again, your mom needs this. So don't let friends override family.” Thomas gave him a hug, then made his way back to his house to help his mom get to the shuttle.


As they made their way to the personal shuttle that the Jedi Council sent to pick them up, Thomas looked out at the gray skies, realizing that this was most likely the last time he would ever see this planet of his. He wouldn't miss much of the planet itself, but he would miss his friends, some of the places where he had happier memories, and even the creek that had been so fascinating to him for so long. Then again, he would be getting away from the place that took his father away and left him to die at the hands of pollution and criminals.
“Any regrets Thomas?” his mom asked as they got on the shuttle.
“I'm more concerned about you. You've lived here longer than I have, and never gone off-world. You sure about this?” His mom smiled a little bit with tears in her eyes.
“This is tough, but a golden ticket just dropped into my lap. I'm not giving that up.” Thomas smiled at the reference to a very old book that she liked to read for a long time. She always loved 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' because she always believed that her family could possibly be as lucky as Charlie was in the story. Maybe it was a miracle. A chance to start new and do something good for the galaxy free of worry about family. As the shuttle lifted off through the atmosphere through the smog cloud barrier, then to the stars, Thomas had no regrets, and knew that one day, he would return, and maybe make it a better place.



© 2014 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Took a while for an update, I know. Got a lot of school stuff going on, but I'll try to keep updating this as well as Vector of the Heavens.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow the journey has finally begun for thomas to be a jedi. I liked this chapter too, was a great read.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Added on March 6, 2014
Last Updated on June 2, 2014
Tags: Star Wars, sci-fi, parody


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.