Chapter 13- New Challenge

Chapter 13- New Challenge

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 13 of Burning Shadows

"
Thomas was sitting in the Chamber of Masters alongside the many other masters of the Jedi Council.  Today was the day that the selected masters would train new padawans.  This mean that they would not be serving in the war for some time, and if they were ever called into active duty, it would only be for true emergencies.  It had been almost two years since the war began, and Thomas had gained the rank of Master as per Master Elzan's request.  The war had gone back and forth.  The Republic managed to win back some planets, some were still under the control of the Sith Lords.  There were also issues with some planets starting rebellions against the Republic wishing for the Sith Lords to return to power.  However, most planets were willing to return to the Republic and gave what they had to help win the war.  It was a grueling process, but things seemed to be slowly but surely turning towards the favor of the Republic.  Thomas had been in several battles since he got his new leg, but was willing to help train the next group of Padawans.  He was more willing to take the offer because this was the year where Michal and Faith's class was going to reach Padawan status.  He was thinking through the different possibilities of him training one of them, but was also thinking that he should try and teach somebody new.  Somebody who didn't know him and vice versa.  He looked at the list and rankings of the incoming Padawans.  Michal was about average in the rankings while Faith was high on the list like when she was a youngling.  All the masters chose their Padawans one by one in order.  Since Thomas was a newer master, he was closer to the bottom of the list.  So it would be more likely that he could pick Michal, as well as other Padawans closer to the bottom of the list.  He sat himself down and waited his turn patiently.  It was almost as if he was a football coach at the Intergalatic Football League waiting to make his draft pick.  As he watched the first several masters choose their Padawans, he saw Faith get snatched up in the first few masters.  Thomas was waiting, and there was only one master before him, and he had decided to pick Michal, when the master in front of him picked Michal.  Thomas was a bit confused on what to do next, so he looked at the list and picked the highest ranked Padawan that hadn't gotten a master yet.
"I select Olisan Ventremar."  The Padawan stood up and walked up to Thomas.
"Jedi Master Watson.  It is truly an honor to be in your presence." said Olisan, giving him the warriors bow.  He wasn't human, he looked more like someone from Dathomir, the same planet that beget the Night Clan.  During the first Clone Wars, a rouge member of Dathomir, named Maul, became a Sith Apprentice to Darth Sideous.  Most members of the Night Clan were loyal to the Republic, but like most systems, had a few people who didn't agree with their ideals.
"I am looking forward to teaching you the ways of the Jedi Order young one.  Man, just saying that makes me feel old."
"Well how old are you master?"
"Um...I'm only 20."
"Yeesh.  Either you're really powerful or I'm really crazy."
"I think it might be the latter." The two of them laughed, and stayed around to watch the last few masters select their Padawans.  After that was done, Thomas walked over to see Michal and Faith.
"Well look at you two!  Finally made it!"  Michal looked up and gave Thomas a huge hug.
"Man, it's been a while!  How you been?  I haven't seen you since the war broke out!"
"Well, I've got this new fashion statement." Thomas said as he pulled up his pant leg, revealing his cyborg leg.
"Man, don't you know?  You need to add flower decals to make that thing fashionable!" joked Faith.
"Oh please." Michal said.  "He needs pink cupcakes to make the look."
"Hey, can't I design my own prosthetics please guys?  Maybe I want to have ponies on my legs."  They all laughed as Olisan walked towards them.  He introduced himself, and they to him.  Then the masters of Michal and Faith came up and talked a bit as well, then they were all instructed to begin their first lessons with each other.  Most groups went to the training grounds to work on lightsaber combat and force training.  Olisan was about to join them when Thomas held him back.
"My first lesson for you lies elsewhere my Padawan."  He led Olisan to the gardens, where few were in attendance.  He walked around for a few minutes and said nothing to Olisan.  After they finished, Olisan looked up at him and asked,
"What does tho have to do with anything related to the force?  Walking around a garden doesn't help win the war in the galaxy.
"No, but this garden can help win the war inside all of us."  Olisan looked at Thomas a bit confused.  "You see Olisan, when you focus the big picture, that is all you see.  When one takes the time to appreciate the small pieces of the grand picture, they can truly gain a sense of the world around them."
"You mean, feel the force better?"
"Not exactly.  I mean more in the sense that you make an effort to not lose yourself in the struggles of life and to remember the good parts and appreciate them."
"I don't fully understand."
"Don't worry.  You will.  Trust me.  I've been here before."


Thomas walked into the local church and sat down in one of the pews.  The pastor came up and sat down next to him.
"Something troubling you master Jedi?"
"Not really Pastor.  Just thinking a lot.  These past few years have felt like a roller coaster.  What with me joining the Council, the war starting, becoming a master, it almost feels like life can be overwhelming.  I mean, I still find the time to enjoy the small pieces that help me enjoy life, but...I don't know.  Life can be tough."
"Life is meant to be tough.  After all, humans made it that way.  We create out own darkness, but through our Savior, we gain never-ending light.  All we have to do as disciples of Jesus, is to walk in his ways and glorify his holy name.  I will admit, trying to do so amongst people who believe only in the Force is difficult, but God has his ways.  Just keep your chin up Thomas.  You got a new Padawan today, right?"
"Right, but he's from Dathomir I think.  The planet doesn't believe in Christ like we do."
"The Roman centurion didn't believe in Christ at first, but through Paul and Barnabas, he helped him see the light of forgiveness.  We shouldn't just say people are one way and just expect them to never change.  We should always look for the best out of every situation God gives us each and every day."  Thomas looked up, smiled, then walked out.
"Thanks Buff."
"Anytime Thomas.  You know I'm praying for you right?"
"I know.  Thanks again."
"You have a good one."
"You too."


© 2014 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Another chapter, this time earlier than the last one. I'll be posting a comment update on my page to tell you what's happening next soon.

Please tell me what you think with a review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry for being late, but you know me now, I am always late... :P

Lots to catch up to. Good write and the story in this chapter had a smooth flow plus the story is progressing at a steady rate, the characters are developing nicely and the dialogues are improving too. Their feelings are well described. So in all a very good chapter. :). Keep going bud.


Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
1 Review
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 6, 2014
Tags: Star Wars, sci-fi, parody


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.