Tai Tai

Tai Tai

A Story by Katherine Rose Whitmore
"

A memory piece exploring my grandmother's memorial.

"
I remember a phoenix, composed of glittering red, ivory, and gold pieces of tile. She was battered with ice encrusted rain, and stretched her wings out in a scream. I watched diamond crystals form upon her feathers. My boots, squeaking and yellow, were drug with purpose across her image. The brightly plumed bird’s colleagues surrounded her. Tiger was to the north, Monkey was to the south. Boar and Snake were at her flanks, though I couldn’t see them. Dark shoes garrisoned most of the ceramic from my view.

Underneath my umbrella, all things were bathed in gilded light. I looked up through the translucent shield to see the printed face of a panda. It had little fabric ears which flapped in the frosty wind. The lapels of my yellow raincoat swayed underneath the protection of my mighty bear.

I peered through the black trenches at a platform. Gentle, subdued vibrations of sound caressed their audience and soothed weeping children. My mother placed her hand on my rubber hat. It quivered.

Salt suddenly burnt my nostrils. Weeds gathered on the shore brought birds to bicker over brunch.

The phoenix below me cracked as I pressed my feet into her icy recesses. 

© 2010 Katherine Rose Whitmore


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
Added on May 17, 2010
Last Updated on May 18, 2010
Tags: death, funeral, memorial, memory piece, childhood, short story

Author

Katherine Rose Whitmore
Katherine Rose Whitmore

Los Angeles, CA



About
Teen actress, writer, sculptor, and music connoisseur with aspirations of becoming a supervillian. more..

Writing