Show of Marionettes

Show of Marionettes

A Poem by Rae

We are all just products of moments.

Late nights, sneaking through the summer woods in shorts so short they make us feel like dazzling Hollywood and laughter sprinkled through sips of whatever makes us stop caring about our eyeliner so much.

Whatever makes us laugh without caring and kiss without feeling as the boys chase our wide-open legs and susceptible hearts and cat eyes so daring that we are all they can picture.

Infinite rich prowlers, fake friends who will love to hate one another until the end. 

That’s why we’re all so alone even when we flock together 

and why the blanket of sad stars seems to appear more than every night 

as we take the chance to look up and face them.

We all go day to day laughing at stupid jokes 

saying heartless things 

bouncing off of sporadic emotion 

chasing the ones who chase others 

following this jumbled crowd that makes no sense 

but we’ve all been brainwashed into believing it does anyways. 

We are the marionettes, 

limb after limb being pulled in the directions we would never morally go if we were just able to move for ourselves. Marionettes of the best kind, 

infamous talents, 

dazzling stars,

because who would ever guess that the very things that make us happy 

are the very things that make us scream 

and the very things that make us go crazy out of our minds.

Rich entirety made of marionette stone. 

© 2013 Rae


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found this very philosophical, in the style of Demosthenes. An expression of youth and strife, and it identifies with all groups. There are one or two corrections needed, but they are meaningless compared to what you have expressed in thought. Thank you for writing this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


While reading this, I thought of a song I love from a movie called "Tonight is What it Means to Be Young," specifically the chorus, "Let the rebels begin, let the fire be started...We're dancin' for the restless and the brokenhearted!"
This felt like that song, and writes like this make me realize how much I would missed my youth if, in another life and family unit, I had had one.

Thanks so much

Posted 10 Years Ago


'The very things that make us happy are the very things that make us scream", so true. I especially like this line. Congratulations on your contest win!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another wonderful piece by you for the contest. I loved the prosy feel this piece had, the story it rendered, and the wonderful images it conveyed as I read it. Wonderful Job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


A great write.
Perfectly presented the activities of marionettes.
Analogy of marionettes with humans is great.
Impressed by the line:
"That’s why we’re all so alone even when we flock together "


Posted 10 Years Ago


A very real piece. No glory or glamour in these words, simply a view of life that's has a very powerful truth to it. I would expect such thoughts that see the honesty of youth from people who've walked long in the years and look back. Having them come from someone young is striking and a breath of fresh air. It shows me that there are people who see reality and not the glossy presentation that the masses try to push on everyone.

Thanks for sharing! Really good ink!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013
Tags: prose poem, teen, teenage years, youth

Author

Rae
Rae

Seattle, WA



About
18 years old. NYU student and tea enthusiast. Writing means the world to me; feel free to give reviews and help me greater improve. Writing has always been my escape, especially poetry. Life experie.. more..

Writing
Sugar Veins Sugar Veins

A Poem by Rae


Driftwood Driftwood

A Poem by Rae



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pride Pride

A Poem by Royal Phoenix