Dogs die with their eyes open

Dogs die with their eyes open

A Story by Luis Alonso Zelaya

 

 

Greg and Monica moved to their new home at the end of June. The house was bigger than the last and further away from the city. They both wanted to stay close to work, but Greg convinced Monica that driving those extra twenty seven miles would pay off with a bigger house. On Friday afternoon they both left work early and went to their old house to get things ready for the weekend. In the two years they lived there they had not acquired too much stuff, Monica's parents gave them an old sofa and a dining table, and Greg bought a queen size bed a few months earlier. The new neighborhood was quiet, mostly young couples with small children starting with their families. The day he set his eyes on the house he knew it was the right one for them and their dog, Pepi.

Three days after they settled in the house they brought Pepi with them. At first, the dog seemed out of place, almost mad at them for leaving him behind. Greg noticed a change in behavior; he didn't really think much of it. Monica wasn't pleased about leaving the dog alone at the old house. Greg did not think it would be a big deal. That night Monica was cleaning the kitchen after dinner. She let the dog out after she fed him and closed the door behind her. The dog started barking and jumping at the door. She told Pepi to stop acting like a baby and she would be back to check on him in five minutes. Monica went upstairs and told Greg to check on the dog. He came back upstairs and told her he was gone. It was about six in the evening, it wasn't dark yet and they set out to look for Pepi. They walked up and down the street stopping kids from their basketball games and their bike rides asking them if they had seen a dog. Mostly no one had seen Pepi. One little girl said she had seen him, but couldn't remember which way he had gone. Two hours later they decided maybe someone else had found him. Greg told Monica he would make "missing dog" flyers when they got home and would post them around the neighborhood the next day. He wasn't finished saying it when he saw a dark shadow running from garage door to garage door in the dimly lit street. He called up Pepi's name. To his surprise, the dog came running faster than either one of them had ever seen him run. Greg ran so fast towards Pepi that he tripped on his sandals and almost broke his hand when he fell to the street.  The dog was agitated, he was breathing so hard Monica started crying. Greg put the leash on and brushed off the dried crusts of mud he had all over his body. They got back to the house they went in through the back yard to avoid getting muddy paw prints all over the new carpet. They saw Pepi had dug up a hole by the fence and crawled out. Monica went inside to grab the shampoo and a few towels while Greg played around with Pepi. She came back and Greg fixed the hole by the fence. They went back inside shortly after.

The next morning, Greg and Monica woke up earlier than usual. They had breakfast at the table and after feeding Pepi, the three went out for a walk. When they got back, Greg jumped in the shower, got ready and left for the office. As he walked out he kissed Pepi, then kissed his wife and told her to call him if the dog misbehaved. She laughed and pet Pepi as she said no one would be misbehaving today. An hour later, Monica went upstairs to take a shower. Pepi was scratching at the door for a good while so she let him out while she was getting ready. She was drying her hair when she heard the doorbell. Monica walked downstairs and noticed her house was uncomfortably silent. One of their neighbors was at the door. He asked her if she owned a black Labrador retriever. Monica said she did and asked the neighbor if Pepi's bark was bothering him. He didn't respond her question and instructed Monica to come outside. He told Monica his daughter had just seen a black dog get run over by a white van and all they neighbors were wondering whose dog it was. Monica ran to the backyard with leaving the man at the door. She didn't see him anywhere. She walked outside with the neighbor and saw the black shape in the middle of the street. Monica couldn't believe what her eyes told her at that instant. She walked closer and closer, dark tears were flowing down her face, her hands shaking uncontrollably. She looked down and saw Pepi's lifeless body lying in front of her. She looked up and saw most of her neighbors in their robes out in their yards. The man whom had knocked at her door and a woman came from behind her following a trail of hair and blood extending from three or four houses back. The woman asked Monica if that was her dog. Monica did not respond. She stood there, looked back at them and noticed the dirty trail of blood and fur she hadn't seen two minutes ago. "is that his blood?" she asked to no one in particular. "yes" answered the man.

Monica looked at Pepi, her heart pounding so hard to the point it felt it would explode out of her chest. She bent down and pet her dog one last time. She touched his cold body with the same love and felt the same tenderness she had for Pepi as the first time she and Greg had set eyes on him. All Monica could see now was the dog's eyes. They weren't blinking. She passed her hand over the dog's head but Pepi's eyes would not close. She got up and stood there in disbelief. All she could think about was how such eyes which were once filled with so much love and friendship could just stare up at her in a cold, frigid manner.

© 2009 Luis Alonso Zelaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

further away from the city
farther away...FARther refers to literal distance, further all else.

went in through the back yard to avoid getting muddy paw
backyard

I like the story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


"All she could think about was how such eyes which were once filled with so much love and friendship could just stare up at her in a cold, frigid manner." This final line really packs a punch.

I agree with Jackie Blue that splitting up the paragraphs will help.

Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is so hearat felt and upsetting, i would suggest splitting up the paragraphs so the reader won't be overwhelmed. it would be more clear and convey the thoughts better

Posted 16 Years Ago


:( So sad. I hate when that happens. Good write though. Poor pup.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2008
Last Updated on March 25, 2009

Author

Luis Alonso Zelaya
Luis Alonso Zelaya

Houston, TX



About
a radioactive spider bit me when i was in high school. i write with the same pen all the time; the uniball "signo" gell grip 0.7. when i like something, i get indubitably excited about it. or so i'm.. more..

Writing