City Music

City Music

A Chapter by Mariah Renae


I pull the front door closed behind me and lock it. Perky tiles charm the walls and floor of the hallway. Pattering down four flights of stairs, I press the button to open the apartment’s front gate and spill onto the street. My long legs push toward my destination as my fingers seek, find, tug headphones from my bag. 

They pop into my ears. Bouncy music keeps time with my steps as I plough through the streets. My eyes count cobblestones and trace shadows. Tall buildings cast lovely shadows.

I’ve trekked this route eight times over the past four days. Day one: Google Maps glued to my hand, praying I don’t get lost. Day two: semi-confidently with my phone in my pocket, until I do get lost. Day three: more certain of every turn, successfully reaching my destination without Google Maps. Day four, without even thinking, really.

As my eyes stay lowered my feet take me where I need to go, no problem. They steer me from shadow to shadow, the sunlight too hot. Music drowns out the city and muffles my myriad thoughts.

Glancing up, the clear blue sky greets me, why, hello young one. Isn’t this a lovely day? I smile and my feet slow. A veil lifts and I notice the people leisuring???around me. Colorful buildings sing brightly, the cars provide accompanying instruments, the voices of strangers a beautiful harmony. 

My headphones slip back into my bag. My feet keep moving, slower this time. But my eyes....My eyes do not return to the streets, or the cobblestones, or the shadows. Instead, they roam over the city, hungry for more beautiful music. Beautiful music that I now know can be heard and seen, if you just take the time to look up.



© 2018 Mariah Renae


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What city, where? Maybe something a little about the apartment and where you are off to. Just to GPS the rest of this chapter. Creating a personal sound track for the world carousel-ing around you can conjure interesting perceptions.

Posted 5 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bex
I recently moved to Mallorca and I totally relate to having Google maps glued to my palm!! I love how you portray the reawakening of your senses...no need for headphoned music!! I could feel the sun, the light and shade and hear the music as I bounced down the cobblestones with you. Wonderful

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mariah Renae

6 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 14, 2018
Last Updated on January 14, 2018
Tags: experience, sounds, eye open, music, city, Spain


Author

Mariah Renae
Mariah Renae

Albuquerque, NM



About
I am a college student majoring in Fine Arts. I discovered my passion for writing in my freshman year and now I can't imagine a life in which I don't carry a notebook in my purse at all times. I am so.. more..

Writing