Beautiful

Beautiful

A Chapter by Mariah Renae

Click, click. The car doors unlock and I hop inside. The familiar scent is comfort. Just the way I left her. I sigh pleasantly, and start her up. As I drive, I notice that the rear view mirror isn’t quite right. No one’s driven her since I left… Have I gotten taller? Can’t be. I adjust the mirror.


Mom calls from the kitchen. Chicken, cabbage, and butter fill my nose. Mmmm. Stir-fry for dinner. I’m in the doorway in an instant, mom glancing up. 

“You’re so beautiful,” She says and I sputter.

“What’s that for?” I smile.

“You’ve been glowing since you got back. You are standing taller, your posture has improved and you are.... glowing.

I remember feeling taller in my car. I remember all the fun I had, the new friends I met. I remember the way I felt being able to navigate the streets of a foreign city by myself. I remember exploring on my own and loving every moment. I remember growing comfortable in that city far away. 

“You’re more confident now. And it makes you beautiful.



© 2018 Mariah Renae


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Is this an outline of a story, capturing the beginning/middle/end of the piece? It doesn't have to be more detailed though. Adding in just a few scant scatterings of timeline, locale, and character motivation/perspective in each chap. this could work. Even as an outline, your narrative moves deftly along. Fun.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 14, 2018
Last Updated on January 14, 2018
Tags: spain, self discovery, youth, growth


Author

Mariah Renae
Mariah Renae

Albuquerque, NM



About
I am a college student majoring in Fine Arts. I discovered my passion for writing in my freshman year and now I can't imagine a life in which I don't carry a notebook in my purse at all times. I am so.. more..

Writing