RE-CYCLING ROSIE

RE-CYCLING ROSIE

A Poem by Mark
"

While interred at Southeast Louisiana State Hospital, I met many persons who, despite their infirmities, were fascinating and gentle souls.This particular girl just happened to be several of my best friends. I wrote this on the occasion of her discharge.

"

RECYCLING ROSIE

 

Each of us is many people

Each revolving in their own sphere

Of space, or circumstance or time:

One person when there, another when here.

 

She is the Scholar and the Seductress;

She is the Athlete, attacking the Ball

But she must have one Person

Who retains control, by agreement of all.

 

When that one Controller concedes,

Or has her control snatched away by force,

There is at first Sadness, then Confusion,

Then revolt into Anger, whence springs Chaos of course.

 

The struggle to discover who accedes as Premier

Is undoable, a fight which cannot be won.

It is necessary that an Intercessor

Realign her eccentric orbits into one.

 

Rosalyn, Rosalinda and Rosetta,

Rosemarie, Roseanne and Rose

Begin to spin and give off sparks

Pensively awaiting to see where who goes.

 

The Intercessor stands, and stares,

Or smiles, or storms at each in turn;

Their confusion and exasperation mount,

But desire to reunite begins at last to burn!

 

Singly, none can eject the Interloper,

So they converse, then coalesce to fight as One.

The Intercessor softly laughs, and soon departs,

For by their co-operation, His job is done!

 

Now on a common Center do her several Selves spin

Each content in her Uniqueness; still none knows

Which preempts, which controls: Shouts the Mediator,

"The Boss is the SUM of you ALL!; call her Rose!"

 

Mark F. Teague

June 14, 1989

 

 

© 2009 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a fascinating yet sensitive piece of writing. I know someone else has said it, but I did immediately think of one person's character being disected or peeled apart like an onion, and, yet the one glorious heart is beating for others.

To come to terms with the weaknesses and strength, if it's possible of course, takes incredible inner spirit and that does exist in everyone, not least Rose.

I was and am touched to tears by this poem, I've read it four times and each time found something incredibly moving within your fine words ..

' Their confusion and exasperation mount, But desire to reunite begins at last to burn! ' To be whole, unaware but united ...

'Now on a common Center do her several Selves spin ~ Each content in her Uniqueness; still none knows
Which preempts, which controls: Shouts the Mediator, ~ "The Boss is the SUM of you ALL!; call her Rose!"

There's something of victory here; just as any fight with a 'wrong' needs to be won, can be won - when the strength of character or desire tips and turns.









'




Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Absolutely heart-turning view into multiple personality. I love the fact that you have such sensitivity for others, that you see their truth. "Eccentric orbits", and "spin and give off sparks" is entirely vivid to me; beautifully expresses her pain and her reality.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Man, you really struck a nerve with this one my friend. I think I once told you about the girl who said no one would allow her a good feeling. It relates to this piece in a major way.

I have also had many friends like this, all wrapped in the same skin. I've known a few intercessors too; some good and others not so good. In light of all this, I gotta tell ya man, I liked this one a lot.

Someday I'll tell ya what I was doing in the 1980's and how it relates to this poem. Uncanny.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Rosalyn, Rosalinda and Rosetta,

Rosemarie, Roseanne and Rose

Begin to spin and give off sparks

Pensively awaiting to see where who goes.

I'm loving this poem, but on the fence with the message. Is this a womanizer, a player, many woman sharing the same man, the same rose?


Posted 12 Years Ago


What a fascinating yet sensitive piece of writing. I know someone else has said it, but I did immediately think of one person's character being disected or peeled apart like an onion, and, yet the one glorious heart is beating for others.

To come to terms with the weaknesses and strength, if it's possible of course, takes incredible inner spirit and that does exist in everyone, not least Rose.

I was and am touched to tears by this poem, I've read it four times and each time found something incredibly moving within your fine words ..

' Their confusion and exasperation mount, But desire to reunite begins at last to burn! ' To be whole, unaware but united ...

'Now on a common Center do her several Selves spin ~ Each content in her Uniqueness; still none knows
Which preempts, which controls: Shouts the Mediator, ~ "The Boss is the SUM of you ALL!; call her Rose!"

There's something of victory here; just as any fight with a 'wrong' needs to be won, can be won - when the strength of character or desire tips and turns.









'




Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A fascinating, sensitive and touching piece of observation on an individuals quirkiness. We are all different riddles. Some are probably as fragmented as Rosie but get along fine. Others spin out of control and can't function. I think this might be the best of the four of yours I have just read. I like the sestina and cousin poems, but this observation of the human condition seems to have even more depth. I like the title and the conclusion. Rosie in a way reflects society. Without rule there is anarchy. Reason has to rule. The others stakeholders in the body politic or body personal must have their say, but must never be allowed to circumvent 'the Boss'. Some people say rules don't matter, be free, be, say and do as you please. But if that means raucus chaos it does not seem to be in anyone's interest. Rosie resembles a state without a government.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very informative poem. Your attempt to explain part of the healing process for those with multiple personality disorder is interesting. I love the rhyme and flow of this poem, almost as much as the tender and compassionate heart that wrote it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Mark,

This is absolutely delightful and as always very insightful. I sat back in my chair with a bemused smile filling my face as I read this. Wonderful. I greatly enjoyed your carefully peeling back the layers of the onion. You openned the ornately decorated watchcase and carefully, and with great repect, revealed the inner clockwork. And perhaps my enjoyment was heighted a bit since my wife's name is Rosalinda.

Very best regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is fantastic.. many see her as many different things but the power of the personality of Rose shines through in the end as a beautiful; powerful personality and educated woman... really an inspirational write.. thank you for sharing!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Did she see it? What was her reaction? I've spent a lot of time in hospitals, too. Interesting people can be met about anywhere, but a hospital is unique. More terrific work, Mark.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Mark!
This is a most interesting view of another who exhibits several personalities...i.e. manifestations of other "selves". Is the one who is intercessor, the dominant personality?, or the psychiatrist?
In the end, they all come together to form "one" individual taken as part of all the other names! I think of a rose as one who survives with the thorns, as its sweet fragrance and beauty is commander of all! this was the strongest of the personalities.
Very nice write with much depth!
With Friendship,
Sheila

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2009
Last Updated on March 28, 2009

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..