FEAR

FEAR

A Poem by Mark
"

This is a kind of dark counterpoint to "To An Un-met Love", wherein I expressed my conviction that my She was out there somewhere. Here, I bemoan a pre-emptive end to my quest.

"

FEAR

 

Fear such as I have never known

   Engulfs me, holds me in its thrall

   Encompassing my life, my All,

That once was Me away has flown!

 

My heart seems to be made of Bone

   Nor will it hearken to my call

   My Spirit, once high-flown has fall-

en, Chained as it were to a great Stone.

 

The One whom I did once believe

   To be the One for whom I sought

 

To be my Solace, my Reprieve

   'twould seem she certainly is NOT!

 

I fain would stay, but my heart cries, "Leave!";

   now the Fear of choosing

          The Pain of losing,

      Or the Pain of staying's what I've got!

 

10-23-91

© 2009 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
A mildly modified Sonnet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Mark,

Wonderful writing. Wonderful introspective insights not only personal but of the human condition.

Ah, fear! How it motivates us. How it insidiously weaves its tangles through our thoughts and being till it vies for control of all attention and action. It makes us run unthinking. It stops us dead in our tracks with violent shaking.

The fear of making the wrong choice. How often do we contemplate this in our lives?

Well written.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The flow of your sonnet is very pleasing.. especially in your choice of words.. your format definitely is of an older model but refreshing!!! This is the true writing of a real poet!!! Thank you for sharing your devine work!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark,

Another good one. I was wondering about the rhyme scheme changing from the 3rd stanza....but I picked up on it. I'm a slow learner. SO, you kept this elusive damsel in the shadows for 11 years! Man....you must have built expectations so high that no earthly mortal could live up to her. Are we the only people in this site who experiment with the older forms? I like them alot, and think they give a piece more depth and sometimes....class. If we keep this up, we might have to attempt a collaborative effort. I might have to work on my abstractions some though. Good write as always.

Mark

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great Sonnet. Your ending is very strong.
Nice words, well-penned writing.

I like the concept too.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 5, 2009

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


OASIS OASIS

A Poem by Mark


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Watcher Watcher

A Poem by Mark