The Last Hour...(or so)

The Last Hour...(or so)

A Poem by Mark
"

For Helena's latest contest, poems and short stories describing one's last day on Earth

"

THE LAST HOUR…(or so)

 

“To tell you the truth, Irene, it wasn’t how I expected it to be, nope, not at all. I had this picture of the old “Time Tunnel” contraption, well, maybe not spinning and all, but Big…and Glowing…and OUT THERE!”

 

“Nossir, Jimmy, not like that a-tall. Not even like “The Light”, they always said to “Go Toward.” More like everything sort of fades out, or maybe all glows the same!”

 

Wellsir, that was either the last conversation I had, or the first, I can’t much tell the difference no more. I tell you, the months have been going by so fast, these days, sometimes I’m not sure if I’m here or there! I can kinda recollect some stern women in white, and giddy kiddies in pink, all the time fussing around me, but I never seen none of them eight-foot-tall, skinny, harp-strummin’ blondes I’d heard so much about, and thank God for that, ‘cause I sure do hate me some harp, but don’t ask me why!

 

Then, too, there was a heap of other folks who sort of looked familiar, some of the time. Mos’ times women, but other times men and kids. Sometimes worried, sometimes weeping, sometimes even angry. ANGRY, I tell you! As if I chose to be here, just to inconvenience them! But then, I reckon “angry” always was easier than “happy”, so it’s where you turn, when you don’t know WHAT to feel…

 

“Anywho, Irene, they was all just a flutterin’ around, making the darnedest hullaballoo, then, BOOM!, up YOU popped! You know, I never told you this enough, but I always did like that about you: You always knew right when my last nerve was fixin’ to pop, and there you suddenly were, smoothin’ stuff out, calmin’ stuff down.”

 

“Well, you old geezer, there won’t be no more of that! No more fires to put out, nor nerves to stress here. Now, hop up out of that bed, Mister"WHOA!, pull that damfool gown shut! I can see that new clothes are gonna have to be first on our list, before we go to meet the Boss. I think you’re gonna like Him, Jimmy!”

 

“”Yep, I reckon I might, long as he ain’t eight feet tall and playin’ no harp, I just might, at that!”

© 2011 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! (First word that came to mind!) I will add 'brilliant to that....truly it was phenomenal to say the least. I read this at least three times and got a kick out of it just that little bit more each time. Bravo!! A great contest write for "Keeping the Dream Alive". Thank you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

lol, what a lovely yet disturbing image this put into my head. When I'm old......... if I still have my humor.......well lets just say God is good. ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Heartfelt, funny, and most of all just downright entertaining!! I love the story...you have my vote in the contest my friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes.. this is you, true to the very end. Whatever collective demise we may all face; the ones with a personality truly their own leave the largest spaces in our lives when they leave. I reckon yours will be along the lines of some of our other finest humorist/ philosophers; a large space lit by light and filled with pounds and pounds of silly putty.

Posted 12 Years Ago


:) Lovely!

Posted 12 Years Ago


It reminds me of someone remembering memories of long ago. It was written so beautiful. Rminded of two people back in the olden days.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this! It has the kind of reaction and acceptance of that long bit that comes next! The way you dance your words through happy rather than tragic, the sight of familiar faces - their reactions probably according to earthly character . Then, on to those final two stanzas with the almost abnormal - curled lips talking clothing when you thinking the maybe of physicality or not .. or what, old geezer!

Invention. insight and thought insurrection comes too easily for you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow! (First word that came to mind!) I will add 'brilliant to that....truly it was phenomenal to say the least. I read this at least three times and got a kick out of it just that little bit more each time. Bravo!! A great contest write for "Keeping the Dream Alive". Thank you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This just smacked me down, in a good way! There is that dance over time.. and onto that timeless dance floor, and you've captured a sense of the heart, soul, and tongue so vividly. A joyful romp and I needed to romp like no one's business!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

607 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 11, 2011
Last Updated on August 11, 2011
Tags: Irene, Jimmy, hospital, heaven

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..