WHY? A 9-11 Question

WHY? A 9-11 Question

A Poem by Mark
"

A near-forgot memory, of an image of a circular rainbow, refracted off a shard of glass or a warped beam, prompted this overdue recollection. Read, and consider...

"

WHY?

MARK TEAGUE

September eleventh, 2011

 

From the wreckage of her wrist,

And the shards of silver sleeve

Her smoking, ghastly claw gropes for the sky

 

And Tower One, her gown undone,

In chorus, as the Nation grieves

Weeps softly, ever asking only, “Why?”

 

 

“Why must the Haters fear employ?

“Why believe they gain as they destroy,

“Who make Death to rain down from the sky?”

 

“How can they pray to win the day,

“As Manhattan’s millions moan,

“And three thousand, unsuspecting, die?”

 


Though holes in concrete scab and heal,

The holes in our hearts never shall!

Hear this, al Qaeda, our Nation’s angry cry:

 

The diamond ring, refracted

From that gnarly hand impacted

Points at your Soul, and softly mutters, “Why?”

 

You wave your arms, you ullulate,

And for this heinous deed, your god’s name name,

We can but hope, and in that Hope rely

 

That Love may soon usurp your hearts

As our God’s Truths take root, and start

Your healing, wiser then, whispering, “Why?”

 

© 2014 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
I had just sat down to breakfast, and was watching Katie Couric mender through the news on the Today show, when a sheaf of paper was thrust in front of her, and the news then and 37 minutes later changed the world. Where were you?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

America's spirit cannot be destroyed by flying planes into buildings. Those who set their values against America's made a terrible mistake. Yes, they destroyed much and many in the most dramatic fashion, but, as your poem shows, they did not destroy America's spirit. They showed their values to be based on a closed outlook which is intollerant and peevish. It is clear which world view will prevail. Those who destroy others destroy all their arguments and claims when they do so.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have expressed the anguish felt by our nation at such a tragedy in a way that is both touching and memorable! Lasting expressions that urges us to love one another as this are the only way to achieve victory over hate! You have written a beautiful poem with a powerful message!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You wave your arms, you ullulate,
And for this heinous deed, your god’s name name,
We can but hope, and in that Hope rely

That Love may soon usurp your hearts
As our God’s Truths take root, and start
Your healing, wiser then, whispering, “Why?”


I am glad to know that your hope is not for decimation, but for love to enter the hearts of the violent. Only then will peace truly reign on this Earth.

A powerful piece, Mark.

Posted 12 Years Ago


you are right about love usurping our hearts, all of us...there will be no other cure

Posted 12 Years Ago


Dear Mark,

This is a very powerful piece, and one of your best, I think. It swells the emotion in our hearts and raises a tear in our eyes. But I do not honestly think this is a clash of ideologies. It is a lashing out of blind hatred. It matters not the religion. Religion comes along for the ride, and evil men twist it into a justification and an excuse.

And I have to agree with David Paget, I think it unlikely the doers of this deed, and those that plan more evil, will have their hearts turned to love. This is a generational problem, with a large portion of a generation turned to hatred, believing this is the way to bring change for the better.

From the wreckage of her wrist,
And the shards of silver sleeve
Her smoking, ghastly claw gropes for the sky

And Tower One, her gown undone,
In chorus, as the Nation grieves
Weeps softly, ever asking only, “Why?”

What a stellar beginning. An opening that sets the tone for the balance of the piece, and the heart-wrenching question of how anyone can hate so much to do this cold, uncaring act.

Very best regards, and very high marks,

Rick

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very powerful and passionate write Mark. I was on my way to work that morning when I heard that the first plane had hit the tower. I ran into work and turned on the TV and we watched in horror as the second plane hit and the towers fell. Then the news about the other planes. It was a horrific day and will stay in our hearts forever. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a powerful, dramatic tragedy of a post, Mark. When something like that happens - it did in a far lesser way over here, of course, the shock, the horror, lasts for such a long time, it leaves scars, deep scars, especially for those dear people who lost family members.

Believe me, we Brits were as shocked as you and your countrymen when it happened. I don't doubt there'll be prayers said for your country tomorrow.

Why, indeed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I remember too well the moment I heard the news, although I am not a US citizen I am North American and the horror of it definitely hit tooo close to home. It is horrible that so much of mankind seeks to dominate others by destruction. Sadly, the innocent and vulnerable ones pay a heavy price. And even more pathetic; havoc is wracked in the name of god. I agree with your final verse....only when love takes root and is nourished can healing begin on all sides. Very impressive, heartfelt write, my friend.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Until that happens, my friend....we will never be at peace
To understand the innocent are just that...the children, the apolitical, the families have no hidden agendas...we all and I mean ALL want to be free...and yet the few zealots wreak havoc on all the good people in the world....They will never get that we are All in this as together and as one....It's seems like we've been preaching this ism since the ''60's....when will the fools or better yet will the fools ever get it. and yes, Why?
But I digress....
Your heartfelt poignant tribute is penned eloquently and is really quite a timeless piece. Hopefully, Mark, Love will conquer all...however, pragmatically and sadly speaking, I won't hold my breath. There is just too much hatred around
the world. My daughter's birhtday is today and I'm about to go celebrate her birth. I will also say a prayer for all the Sept. 11th victims.
Thank you for this beautiful poem
allen


Posted 12 Years Ago


Jehod is never the answer....our God only flooded the world once...and said never again...nice write Mark...As for Me and My house....We will continue to pray....

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1636 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 10, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2014
Tags: 9-11, 9/11, September 11, ring, rainbow, hand, moan, weep, why

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..