Blind-Sided

Blind-Sided

A Chapter by Matthew Thomas
"

While out with friends Zoe and Cash recount how they first met

"

Zoe entered the front door in her gym clothes and tossed her bag aside. Some days she made sure to make as little noise as possible while entering to preserve any chance of possibly sneaking up on Cash and scaring him, often ignoring what he’s occupied with at the time. Other days she’ll mockingly bellow, “Honey, I’m home!” Zoe heard Cash playing on his drumset and opted for the latter. The drumming stopped by the time she reached the extra room to see him. She could tell he’d been at it for a while and she never passed on an opportunity to tease him. “If you sweat any more we can just move to California to solve the drought issues they’ve been having.” While still holding on to his sticks, Cash smiled big and wiped sweat from his brow. “So what’s the plan for tonight?” Zoe asked.

“Remember, babe?” Cash started. “Adrian is having that girl over and he wanted us to go too?”

“Son of a… I completely forgot!” Zoe admitted as she stood in the doorway leaning against the frame, biting her lower lip with a thoughtful look on her face.

“What’s up?” Cash asked.

“Nothing. Just thinking of all the things I’d rather do,” she finally grinned. Zoe exhaled deeply, “See, babe? THIS is why we need stunt doubles or stand-ins or SOMETHING.

Cash chuckled, “C’mon, we said we’d go and Adrian always cooks something bomb.”

“Are you saying there’s a good chance we’ll blow up before having to sit through the dinner? Promise?” Zoe asked, bearing her perfected puppy dog look. “C’mon that’s my second zinger in under three minutes and no rimshot from you? You’re even sitting at a drum set for crying out loud! Ba dum tssshhh,” Zoe mimicked the sound effect the best the could. Zoe continued, “Anyway, I’m just kidding. You’re right. Adrian’s cooking never misses,” Zoe proclaimed while pretending to take aim at Cash and firing with her hand in the shape of a gun. “Well. . . I best get to showerin’ then,” Zoe said before walking down the hall.

“I love you!” Cash called out.

Zoe poked her head around the corner after a few moments, “I love you too. You coming?” she winked.


The table was littered with food as the four of them sat; Zoe, Cash, Adrian and Rachel. “Rachel, for the sake of getting to know one another, I just want to say that I don’t normally drink this much. I’m getting chewed up and I figure if I’m buzzed enough the mosquitos will start getting drunk if they keep biting me.”

Rachel giggled, “Hey, no judgements here. So how did you and Cash meet?” she asked. A wide grin crept across Cash’s face as he and Zoe exchanged glances. They usually told the story in tandem if they were both present. Cash started, “So I’m on a date--”

“A BLIND date,” Zoe interrupted, “This is key. Continue, babe.”

Cash picked up, “I’m on the date and Zoe keeps staring at me from across the room. I’m being polite to my date but it was hard not to notice Zoe’s staring. My date gets up to use the restroom, Zoe comes over while I’m checking my phone. Go ahead,” Cash motioned toward Zoe. She put down her drink and cleared her throat before proceeding with the story,

“What Cash failed to mention is that the entire time they’re on this supposed ‘date’ they both are visibly bored and uncomfortable. I was waiting for the Grim Reaper of boredom to walk into the bar and put them out of their misery. He must’ve been busy killing people in solitary confinement because he was nowhere in sight. So yes, I walked over there and asked him if it was their first date, even though it was blatantly obvious.”

Rachel, chuckling and turning to Cash, “So what did you say?”

“I admitted that it was our first date, it was a blind date, and I asked if it was that obvious.”

Zoe laughed at the memory and added, “I said, ‘I KNEW it!’ Then Cash, being the sweetheart he is, questioned the appropriateness level of me even going over to his table.”

“This is my favorite part,” Cash chimed in, “What did you say, babe?”

A sheepish look washed over Zoe’s face as she stalled before continuing, “I told him that blind dates aren’t REAL dates, took his phone out of his hand, added my number to his contacts and told him to text me if it doesn’t work out with Helen.”

Rachel, doing her best to hold back her chortles, asked, “Wait...Helen?”

“Yeah. Keller. Who else can you go on a blind date with?” Zoe shrugged.

“And...what else did you do?” Cash pressed.

Zoe sighed, smiled out of the side of her mouth and rolled her eyes, “Before leaving, I took one of his fries, dipped it in ketchup and ate it.” The table erupted with laughter. Adrian still found himself amused by that detail even though he’d heard the story on multiple occasions. After everyone settled down Zoe turned to Adrian and Rachel, “Okay, okay. So how did you two meet?”

Rachel, wielding a slight grin, answered, “We were set up by friends of ours...”



© 2017 Matthew Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on August 20, 2017
Last Updated on August 20, 2017
Tags: dating, fun, humor, funny, witty, stories, alcohol, food, boyfriend, girlfriend, relationship


Author

Matthew Thomas
Matthew Thomas

Sumter , SC



About
I'm me. more..

Writing
Zoe Zoe

A Chapter by Matthew Thomas


Two Bits Two Bits

A Chapter by Matthew Thomas