Unmasking the Insanity *HOW IT ALL BEGAN*

Unmasking the Insanity *HOW IT ALL BEGAN*

A Chapter by matrixmark
"

THIS IS THE BEGINNING.

"

  


CHAPTER 1

 

THE TALL MAN

 

   Ray Pendleton lives for nothing more than to punish those who sin.

 

   The day had started overcast, the sky awash with various shades of grey, but now it was turning jet-black, just like that of Satan’s soul. The thunder rumbled across the land and the streaky lightning emblazoned the sky.

   Ray drove down the high street in his old, grey van, kitted out and customised for his needs. The back windows were tinted and sealed shut, he’d soundproofed the inside, making it a cozy playroom to transport his victims from one place to the next. Chains and shackles were fixed to the floor and along the wall were numerous hammers, drills, and saws. The van’s side sliding doors made it easy to capture and contain.

   Ray parked his van opposite the Cosmo Bar and sat patiently, lying in wait for the group of friends to arrive that he nicknamed ‘The Sinful Six.’

   On this night, he wasn’t the gatekeeper of the nightclub door, nor was he there to socialise or drink; something far more sinister brewed in the dark corners of his twisted mind. He watched and observed the partygoers coming and going with a look of disgust and contempt.

   Filthy animals, he thought to himself, as they all played out lurid and melodramatic acts of drunk and disorderly behaviour.

   The blackened clouds struggled to withstand the burden of the weight they’d been holding back for a while. But, with another clap of thunder, the clouds suddenly gave way to an instant downpour of thick, heavy rain.

   An immediate covering of water appeared on the street, sending people scurrying off in all different directions as the rain poured down with an almighty roar.

   Ray gazed dully at the dashboard clock; it wasn’t nine yet, but he knew his 'Sinful Six' would arrive soon.

   The rain whipped down like crystal nails but, through the fierce sheets of rain, the Sinful Six had appeared. One by one, they stepped out from the black cab which had brought them into town. Ray watched on as they all made a dash for shelter under the roof of the Cosmo Bar. And, just like that, a curtain of black fell over his graveyard eyes. 

   He’d been a danger in their shadows for several months, an enigmatic stranger some might say, a man who didn’t exist. He looked on at the Sinful Six like that of a butcher, sizing them up like pieces of meat. With a shallow smile from cheek to cheek, his mask was as cold as a funeral.

   The group consisted of a mixture of personalities.  Some had stories to tell while the rest were more conservative and played the quiet and shy kind. But, the one thing they all had in common, the one thing they never revealed to anybody, was the darker side of their persona, shrouding them in a grave blanket of secrecy and sin. Each individual portrayed themselves as a Doctor Jekyll to the outside world but, behind closed doors, their characteristics couldn’t be more different, being more comparable to that of Mr Hyde.  

    There was Zara, a sexually promiscuous woman, who thought nothing about flaunting her body online to like-minded guys while her boyfriend Ben would secretly wager money on a roll of a dice and chanced his arm at the turn of a card. Johnny was the quiet one, an introvert some might say, but he held late-night sexting sessions with Zara, unbeknown to Ben, who sat downstairs, gambling all his money away. Craig was the troublemaker of the group, who was always pulling pranks on his friends. His best friend was Casey, who lived with Drake. This couple was a little older than the rest. They seemed to have it all, but all that glittered was not gold.

   Ray had looked distastefully at the individuals for a while now, knowing that when they laid their heads down at night, each and every one of them would wrap and consume themselves in a blanket of sin, all choosing to bed the devil, Beelzebub and his dastardly ways. His hatred for these people was palpable. But he had plans, plans to deliver terror, turmoil, and anarchy to the doorsteps of each and every one of the Sinful Six’s tumultuous lives.

    Life had dealt Ray some tough blows. His mother was a w***e and his father a gambling man. He’d suffered years of abuse at their hands; every day was punishment day. Both parents had canes " each more than a yard long and half an inch thick. One, two, three " in quick succession, the whooshing sound of the cane coming through the air and then, the thud. Four, five, six. The blows were thick and fast. With each blow, the skin softened and the pain grew. One time, he’d been hit so hard that the bamboo cane had broken, snapped completely in half.  

   But those days had gone, that was Ray’s adolescence life. Now, he was a strong, intense individual, obsessed with philosophies of vengeance and retribution. He lived a single life now, deep in the woods, preferring to stay away from prying eyes and all people who lied.  

   Ray fired up the van and got ready to leave, but not before tapping at his phone and hitting send. Then, lifting one hand, he slipped his fingers under the seatbelt strap and fastened himself in. With a subtle look of amusement, Ray pushed down on the accelerator and drove away.  

   The recipients of Ray’s message were the Sinful Six and the message was sent under the identity of an unknown number. The message which they had all received read:

Soon your secrets will be out. They are not safe with me. The Tall Man is real and he’s coming out to play. 


© 2017 matrixmark


Author's Note

matrixmark
ENJOY

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Marky Mark....... You really have such a gift. Like always, your descriptions are so deep and defining, that is where you shine. You can literally feel the rain and see the nightclub entrance.

You can also feel the hatred and disgust Ray has for the Sinful Six. It's almost tangible.

The rain whipped down like crystal nail... That line is ace. Just another example of how versatile you are with descriptions.

This chapter is laid out perfectly to set the scene, even though they aren't that bad of people in their sins, this chapter makes you believe they are the devil's playmates! lol

I love Ray and can't wait to be able to read the entire book...one day I will be buying it off the shelves!!!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I always enjoy the vengeance writing,
Beautifully written, well structured great character

Posted 4 Years Ago


Interesting. You definitely have my attention with this...makes me want to know where the story line is going. Ray is a dark character, that grabs the reader and tweaks curiosity. Great start!

Posted 6 Years Ago


An amazing start. I love the detail that you presented in the background of the scene and the in actions and emotions of Ray.... just truly amazing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


good paragraph structure good storyline everything is good in this story

Posted 6 Years Ago


Your notes tell the whole story - this is an extremely enjoyable read. With this chapter as the missing piece, the subtle implications in the subsequent chapters are now revealed. Your story line is tightly knit, and as always, the descriptions of characters is like fine embroidery designs. If you are publishing this, I'm sure this book will be on my shelf!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved the way you narrate your story.
The descriptions are deep and well-penned.
It gives us thrills and creeps. Great chapter.
Keep writing


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this story..
I'm speechless..
Everything in this chapter is excellent..
Lovely piece, Mark.
And i like that character Ray.
Wonderful story.
I'm definitely gonna buy your book.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very suspenseful chapter, I want to read more... I would recommend checking the spelling over, but this is very well constructed, otherwise.

Posted 6 Years Ago


WOW! I got goose bumps as I read this piece. You truly have the storyteller gift! I especially enjoyed the imagery you provided about the rain! Keep posting more!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2049 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on April 5, 2017
Last Updated on May 11, 2017


Author

matrixmark
matrixmark

United Kingdom



About
For years I have watched many movies. I have always loved reading books and how the story teller captivates the imagination. So just over a year ago, I took it upon myself to open up pandora's box, lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..