Unmasking the Insanity *HOW IT ALL BEGAN PART 3*

Unmasking the Insanity *HOW IT ALL BEGAN PART 3*

A Chapter by matrixmark
"

THIS IS THE BEGINNING PART 3.

"

   The blaring of the alarm clock assaulted Zara’s ears, jolting her out from her troublesome sleep. The worrying message had kept her awake most of the night; the sheets were twisted around her limbs, probably because of the thrashing around in she had done in her sleep. The bedroom was still fairly dark but, outside the wind raged; clouds seemingly hid the sun with the promise of rain. The dreary day outside reflected her mood.  Her head was fuzzy, but the remnants of the night before clung to her mind. 

   She was hesitant to look at her phone, but that little voice niggled away ‘go on have a peak, just one look’ it said. She didn’t want it to be real, maybe it was a dream, or maybe it wasn’t. But the little voice in her head forced her hand as she dragged her phone from the bedside table. A toss of her head sent her long raven black hair flying over her shoulder as her eyes blurred with sleep to read the ominous message once again. An uneasy feeling pitted at the bottom of her stomach, her forehead crinkled and her expression was one of mute wretchedness.

    Stark reality struck her full force as the text message from the night before stared back at her troublesome face and told her it was all too real.

   She quickly logged onto the illicit website she had signed up to which was called dontgetcaughtcheating.com, and rushed through her ever increasing list of admiring men. No man going by the name of the tall man existed, just other pseudonym names of other male characters she had befriended.

   ‘Are you getting up anytime today?’ Ben beckoned from downstairs; breaking the silence and Zara’s thought process.

   ‘I’ll be down in a minute, just give me a second.’ Zara hesitantly replied.

   ‘Well, hurry up, or you’re going to be late’ Ben shouted back.

   Zara stared at the message on her mobile for a few more seconds, ignoring Ben’s protest. Their sorry state of a love life was a dismal disappointment; the bite of regret pinched at her heart. But she had to get her excitement from somewhere since Ben had lost interest. She knew that signing up to the website was wrong and dubious but, the thrill of men ogling over her voluptuous body was hard to resist.  It had become like a drug, an addiction, a daily fix.

   Her phone suddenly vibrated, causing her to flinch. The number calling had been withheld. She sat up in bed with a frowned look of puzzlement on her face,   picked up the call and tentatively said ‘Hello.’

   From the moment she listened, she was pressing the receiver closer and closer against her ear.    

  ‘Who’s there?’

  There was no response.

   Every cell in Zara’s body suddenly went on red alert as ‘Teardrop’ by Massive attack began to resonate through her earpiece, sending ice cold shivers down her spine.  

   ‘This isn’t funny’ Zara said, feeling a little unnerved. ‘If you’re not going to speak then I’m going to han-’

   ‘You’re right this isn’t funny.’ the caller spoke with a ring of authority cutting Zara off like a slap in the face. ‘And if you value your life and those that surround you, I wouldn’t advise you disconnect from this call. I can be very aggressive, if provoked.’  

   A bewildered look of disbelief swept over Zara's face, as the caller’s words seemed to be littered with malice. ‘Listen pal, whoever you think you are, or whatever you think-’ 

   ‘You don’t know me, Zara,’ the caller replied in an abrupt manner, cutting her off again in mid -sentence ‘but I know everything I need to know about you, did you get my message from last night, or do you still refuse to acknowledge my very existence.’

   ‘F**k off mate! This is a joke right. Everybody knows the tall man doesn’t exist �" the tales are made up �" you’re full of s**t! ’

   ‘Is that so?’

   ‘Yes that’s so’ Zara shot back. ‘So why don’t you just shut the-’

   ‘Shut the f**k up’ the caller’s words cut her off like a slap in the face ‘I don’t think so, but what I do think is that you should listen very carefully to what you are about to be told. I am here to warn you of a storm. A storm so fierce and so violent that not even God will be able to bring it to a calm. I am about to rise from up from the tales that have been told, and strike fear into sinners across the land.’

   A shudder of fear rippled over Zara and her heart lurched up into her mouth.

Her insides twisted in turmoil as she pondered what to say next.

   ‘But for now,’ the caller continued ‘Why don’t you take another look at your email. I think you’ll agree, that what I’ve sent you is a little bit of an eye opener.’

   Zara took her phone away from her ear, tapped down on its screen and opened up her inbox.

   Helplessness engulfed as she gasped at her own nude picture staring back at her; one of many which she’d sent to her online guy friends.   Stark reality suddenly struck and her mind whirled with disjointed and chaotic thoughts.

    She placed the receiver back up to her ear, and re-engaged in conversation.

  ‘You’re a f*****g a*****e!’ Zara exclaimed, her chest now rose and fell with each angry breath. ‘How the hell did you get hold of these pictures? Who the f**k are you?’  

  ‘I have already told you who I am. But I do have many more pictures and videos of you in my possession. Would you like to see?’  

   ‘F**k off!  This is a joke, right? Everybody knows the tall man tales aren’t true �" they’re all made up �" you’re full of s**t! ’

   No reply.  

  ‘I said answer me, you sick f**k!’ Zara pleaded, her heart now beating twice as much as a few minutes ago. But the person on the other end wasn’t listening anymore.

  ‘I said answer me godammit!’

   She waited motionless for an answer, but there was still no reply.   

  ‘Right, f**k this and f**k you! I’ve had enough of this s**t. I’m calling the-’     

  ‘Heed my warning Zara.’ the caller replied, invading Zara’s speech at the most importune of moments. ‘Calling the authorities will only lead to a series of catastrophic consequences. Staying on the line will make your life that little bit more bearable. I’ve already warned you: I can get aggressive if provoked. So I suggest you be a good little girl, keep that phone against your ear and listen carefully to every single word I have to say. To put it bluntly.  For me, failure is fun. For you, failure is deadly.’

    Zara’s fragile nerves splintered at the words. She wore a tense angry expression, as she struggled to hold her temper.  

   ‘F**k you!’ Zara yelled back as blood pumped through her veins at a feverish pace. ‘You know nothing about me. Do you hear me! nothing!’

   ‘Is that so?’

   ‘Yes, that’s so. You’re just some sick, twisted old perv who gets his kicks out of threatening people with some bullshit information about a man who doesn’t exist.’ 

   The called chuckled.

   ‘You find this funny do you?’ Zara replied in retaliation, her knuckles turning white as her free hand began to crumple the fabric of the bed covers. ‘Tell you what, why don’t you do yourself a favour and f**k off back to the mental asylum you’ve come from; get them to throw away the key and leave me the f**k alone!’    

   ‘If only it were that simple. But soon, you will know just how much I know about you. Until then, I’ll be sure to give you a wave as you pass me by on your Saturday morning journey into work. I’ve enjoyed our brief conversation, it has been rather fun. But as you know, all good things do eventually come to an end.’

   The caller’s words sent Zara’s mind into a dizzying spin and her heart sank like a rock. All four walls of the bedroom felt like they were closing in. She held her back ramrod straight up against the bed’s headboard as the caller let rip a whispered giggle.  She could almost see the evil grin that must have been twisting around the caller’s lips.

 

  ‘Well go on then, f**k off and leave me alone!’ Zara hissed back into the earpiece with all the intensity she could muster.

   In the background ‘Teardrop’ came to an abrupt stop and the caller re-engaged in conversation with a calm and steady tone.

  ‘Before I go, and just so you are aware. I have left Ben with a parting gift.  I hope you don’t mind but I have taken the privilege of sharing one of your many nude online pictures with him. I don’t think he looks too happy, quite sad actually, I can tell.’

   ‘You’ve done what!’ Her voice was now dry, faltering for the first time it was breaking: her aggressive composure was gone. She closed her brown eyes, shook her head and said ‘And what do you mean he doesn’t look too happy.’

   ‘Why don’t you ask him yourself? He’ll soon be in the bedroom; he’s coming up the stairs right now.’

  ‘What do you mean, he’s coming up the stairs? How the hell do you know?’

  ‘Oh, how foolish of me, I didn’t I tell you, did I,’ the caller replied in a mocking tone.

  ‘Tell me what?’

  ‘I’ve been parked up outside your house all this time.’

  The callers biting sense of humour mocked the seriousness of the situation.  His bitter laugh sent a tidal wave of chills down Zara’s spine.

  The connection went dead.

  The silence felt heavy and dark, as if a hovering storm cloud had swooped down and invaded itself into her life. Zara’s nerves had been shattered to a million pieces and she felt violated and exposed. Quickly gathering her thoughts, she flung the duvet cover off from the bed and frantically dashed to the bedroom window; ripped open the curtains and gazed out of the bedroom window, her eyes darted around from left to right to catch any kind of glimpse of any suspicious person or vehicle.

   There was no sign of any vehicle outside the house. Whatever form of transport the caller had been using, it had now gone; vanished completely out of sight.

   Ben appeared at the foot of the bedroom door with a look of scorn written across his face. He held up his phone, gesturing for Zara to look at her own nude picture which was showing on his touchscreen display.

   Desperately wanting the ground to swallow her whole, Zara froze to the spot. 

   Ben stood, just stood and with a tone of exasperation he said ‘Just what the f**k do you think you’ve been playing at Zara?’

   A sense of dread rolled around in the pit of Zara’s stomach as she sheepishly flashed her eyes to meet his. She swallowed the lump that came into her throat and began to speak.



© 2017 matrixmark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Sorry it took me so long to get to this. But as always your work is amazing and so professionally written.

I know Ive read this before but it seems so much more polished.

The dreary day outside reflected her mood -ACE LINE!!!!

You played her anger so well and then her dread of Ben seeing the picture transitioned perfectly.

But Ben's anger and disappointment wasn't lost in her emotions playing out, you laid both out so perfectly balanced to get the scene across.

And as always......... Love Ray's banter with the Sinful Six.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh.... Grt.... Impressive....

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sorry it took me so long to get around to continue reading this, some things came up. Very good, as usual! This story is very intriguing. Perfectly written, other than a few minor errors. Good job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


The tall man seems to have found his first prey or secound. Great chapter can't wait to see what Zara will do to get out of this messy situation.
I wonder how will The tall man punish the rest of the sinners.

SOFTwind

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Sorry it took me so long to get to this. But as always your work is amazing and so professionally written.

I know Ive read this before but it seems so much more polished.

The dreary day outside reflected her mood -ACE LINE!!!!

You played her anger so well and then her dread of Ben seeing the picture transitioned perfectly.

But Ben's anger and disappointment wasn't lost in her emotions playing out, you laid both out so perfectly balanced to get the scene across.

And as always......... Love Ray's banter with the Sinful Six.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so real Mark. The relationship Zara and Ben have is somewhat realistic and it is not difficult to get attached to. Giving a twist to it with an excitement of a "third party" killer lol. This is an awesome journey. This is a good chapter. I am starting to like how the killer keeps on cutting between the lines and putting up emphasis as well as giving crazy thoughts. This adds suspense and attitude for him. I can't wait to know how the love dove fight goes. ;)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gosh...the intensity is so high here! Seriously, I could see it all happening in front of my very own eyes. The last line is very much of a cliffhanger. Ray's dialogue when he was referring to a storm was awesome and thrilling in itself. A great chapter yet again!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Man that is messed up. The more I read this, the more scared i get for Zara, and Ben, and Johnny, and the others. This dude- the Tall Man- is a complete psycho! You are definitely an amazing writer and the only thing that i am sad about is that this chapter ended so quickly. I wanted to read what Zara had to say. But that's just me pouting :). Great, fantastic job, Matrixmark. Give yourself a pat on the back, because you definitely earned it. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


This chapter is tense! I think I held my breath the entire time! The exchange builds as it goes, you can sense Zara's desperation and frantic thoughts through the entire piece!
The peek into Rays mind shows he is crazy for sure. His calm yet premeditated actions, controlling and explosive when warented is crazy awesome!
The details are spot on too. From Zara in her bed to the phone just AWESOME! My mind throws the scene together as I race through the words to see what is going to happen next. Well done! I am excited to read this in its entirety!!!
Geeeking out at how AWESOME THESE chapters are!!!
Tabby

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Glad to see Ray has made another appearance. Something about his little "game" is intriguing. Sure, most merciless killers find fun in their murderous escapades, but Ray seems to be enjoying this in a different way that I have trouble describing in words. Regardless, I'm excited to see what happens next.

P.S I also love how Ray wants to psychologically destroy them before he goes in for the kill. And the whole "Failing is fun" thing made my heart skip a beat.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

once again, amazing! Well done. :D

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1250 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 24, 2017
Last Updated on April 24, 2017


Author

matrixmark
matrixmark

United Kingdom



About
For years I have watched many movies. I have always loved reading books and how the story teller captivates the imagination. So just over a year ago, I took it upon myself to open up pandora's box, lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Coffee Coffee

A Poem by Kittenincake


I can... I can...

A Poem by Zephyr