The Siren

The Siren

A Story by modandan

“Their songs lure sailors to drown in the sea,” Michiko spoke, following close at her brother’s heels through the hall of their home. “Aren’t you scared you’ll see one?”

If he was to be completely honest, Aukai was terrified. Of course he had heard the tales of the sirens, whispered among the women in the markets. It did not take much for these stories to travel through the small port village of Taivi. The rumors of sailors gone missing at the Green Waters were often spoken of. But it was not the sirens he feared- it was the expedition he was to undergo.

The Coming-of-Age ritual was performed by every man in their village upon reaching adulthood at twenty-one years. They were sent off to guide a one-man sailboat out into the ocean in search of a golden shark- a sacred creature found only in the Green Waters. The retrieving of this shark, and bringing it back to one’s family, signified the transition of a boy to a man. It was a vital ceremony- one that men risked their lives to complete.

To come home without the shark was to bring shame not only to one’s family, but to oneself. A man in Taivi was nothing without his honor. Losing it would be worse than death.

Before Aukai could reply, his father entered the hall, Aukai’s pack in his wiry hands.

“He is not scared, because he is a man. This trial will soon prove so,” the old fisherman lectured his daughter. His eyes crinkled around the edges as he squinted at her. “Now, stop speaking of such nonsense, Michiko. The sirens are mere fables.”

The little girl huffed, crossing her tanned arms, and defiantly met her father’s gaze. But she quickly relented, following his orders.“Yes, Papa,” she murmured. He fixed a stern look on her, and urged her towards Aukai.

“Quick, say goodbye. Aukai must leave before the rains come in.”

Michiko reached her hands up to her brother in an open gesture, and Aukai bent down and picked her up, hugging her to him. She wound her short arms around his neck, and pulled him close, mouth going to his ear.

“When you see the sirens, you will tell me about them, yes?” she asked in a low whisper, small hands gripping insistently onto the back of Aukai’s shirt.

The young man smiled. “Of course. Every detail.” His sister pulled away and met his eyes, staring for a moment before seeming content.

“Good.” She smiled, and her cheeks dimpled with the action.

Aukai placed his sister back on the floor. “Goodbye, Michiko.”

Their father stepped forward- handing the pack to his son. It was filled with the last of his provisions. Aukai took it, and hoisted it onto his shoulder. His father grabbed his arm, winding his scarred fingers around the boy’s bicep. He handed his son a knife. The young man accepted it, and sheathed it at his belt.

“You pay no mind to those folklores. They’ll only bring you trouble. Do what you must, and return home a man.”

“I will, father. I promise.”

With one last goodbye, Aukai left his home and made his way towards the docks.

On his walk, he stopped by the blacksmith’s shack. Riku, the owner, was reclined in a chair by the open door. He smiled upon seeing Aukai, then turned to shout into the shop.

“Kaito! You’ve a visitor!”

There was a pause in the hammering that Aukai heard from within the shop, then an audible clamor of objects. He heard a curse, and Riku chuckled. Aukai fought back a smile.

Kaito emerged, covered in soot and grime, a rag in his hands, which he used to wipe his filth. It was pointless- the cloth was as dirty as he was, and only smeared grease over his tanned, freckled skin. His lips stretched into a wide smile, dark eyes dancing with joy. Aukai felt enlightened by the gesture.

“Aukai!”

The young man opened his arms sheepishly. “I’m here.”

Kaito enveloped his friend in a hug, a warm hand patting his back. “I was starting to think you’d leave without saying goodbye.”

“Of course not. Do you have a moment?” he asked, pulling away from his friend.

“For you? Anytime. Let’s walk to the market- I’ll buy us lunch before you go. And you can see Hotaru. Have you said goodbye to her, yet?”

Aukai visibly prickled at the mention of his fiancée. Kaito noticed.

“...You didn’t, did you?”

“I… haven’t had the chance.”

“Well, I suppose that’s all the more reason to go. Let me wash up, then we’ll walk there.”

****

The sky was filled with heavy clouds, and Aukai watched them carefully as they walked to the market. Kaito noticed right away.

“Looks like rain. My father says a storm is coming. Let’s hope it doesn’t reach you.”

“I’ll be fine, I’m sure,” Aukai murmured, hand tugging on the strap to his pack. Kaito playfully shoved him.

“I’ve no doubt of that. You’re an excellent sailor. I wouldn’t be surprised if you returned in a mere day with two sharks in your hands.”

Aukai snorted. “You’re ridiculous.”

Their conversation fell silent, replaced with the bustling of the market that they steadily approached. Stands were set up, food was being cooked, and smoke rose into the air, mingling the scent of meat, fish, and a hint of fresh cumin. Children ran about, honey candies in their sticky fingers, and their laughter rang loud. Women were selling clothes, stopping whoever lingered too long, and shoving the merchandise in their faces- some selling glass beads and neatly cut stones.

They found Hotaru where a man was selling rice cakes- she was speaking with another village girl. Kaito urged Aukai towards his fiancée with a shove while he bought them cakes. In Aukai’s presence, the village girl bowed her head, and lowered her eyes, but Hotaru lifted her chin- meeting his gaze as an equal. She challenged him with that look- the barest hint of an amused smile lifting a corner of her lips. Hotaru was pale, with long silky hair- a sign of wealth, for she was a merchant’s daughter, her family one of the richest in the town.

“You look well,” she was the first to speak, voice like a flute, and her full lips stretched into a pleasant smile. Aukai noticed that it did not reach her big, almond eyes.

“As do you,” he replied. He wasn’t sure what else to say.

“You are to sail, today?”

“Yes.”

“Then I wish you well in your travels,” she spoke, and this she said in earnest- her eyes truly concerned.

“Thank you,” Aukai answered with a smile. “I hope to see you, soon.”

She lifted a hand, which Aukai kissed, and then Kaito was taking him by his arm, excusing the young man, and escorting him to the docks. He handed his friend a shrimp-filled rice cake.

“She’s soon to be your wife, and you treat her like your mother.”

“I feel nothing for her, Kai.”

“Then make yourself feel something. You can’t hate the woman you’ll be starting a family with.”

The young man was silent. They left behind the bustle of the marketplace, and were met with the sound of waves lapping at the docks. The salty smell of the sea reached Aukai’s noise.

“Your arrangement with Hotaru is what most dream of,” Kaito continued, not intent on letting the matter drop.

Aukai frowned as they reached the docks. He saw his boat, ready for departure. Doubt coiled in his gut. “Maybe I just want love.”

A snort met his ears. “Well, now you’re being unreasonable. You’ve got her beauty, and her wealth. You can’t possibly have love, too- it would just be unfair.”

That did the trick- Aukai laughed, and Kaito beamed before drawing his friend into one more hug. When they pulled apart, he clapped Aukai on his shoulder, fingers strong where they grasped him. “I will see you, soon. Good luck.”

“Thanks.”

And then Kaito left, and Aukai watched his retreating form until it was swallowed up by the morning crowd. When he could no longer see his friend, Aukai turned and made his way to his boat.

He was stopped by bony fingers that grabbed onto his arm, long fingernails digging into the skin there. He turned to see an old woman, hair long, scraggly, and white as death. Her skin was tanned and wrinkled like old leather, the skin of a sailor, and her eyes stared up past him, glazed over in a sheen of light blue.

“You’re to go to the Green Waters?” she spoke, and her wispy voice chilled Aukai to his bones.

He tried to pull his arm away, but her grip was strong. “Yes,” he replied, hoping he sounded brave.

Her blind eyes seemed to find him, now, focused on his own. It was unnerving. “The sirens, boy… they sing songs so tempting… so very tempting. Do not let yourself be entranced- it will spell your end.”

He pulled from her again, and she let him go. “I do not believe in children’s tales,” he spoke, but his curiosity was heightened.

The old woman caught it, ever perceptive. “When they sing, they sing of that which you long for most… they deceive you with illusions of your greatest desire, and once you’ve let yourself indulge, they drown you in the cold waters… do not listen to their songs… their songs, so tempting….”

She started walking away. Aukai went to follow her- to question the strange woman, but two sailors blocked his view, carrying barrels onto a merchant’s ship. When they passed, she was gone- as if she’d never been there in the first place.

With his dread renewed, Aukai looked up at the clouds that loomed above him. They hung heavy and dark, and moved steadily towards the ocean.

He got in his boat.

****

Once he’d passed the rain clouds, Aukai was met with a brilliant sunset- one that painted the vast sky in hues of oranges, reds, pinks, and those hues glistened magically over the still waters as he sailed Westward.

Aukai’s provisions would last him three weeks- a month, if he portioned carefully. He didn’t mind the journey, and found he enjoyed the solitude. Out so far into the ocean, the only noise that met his ears was the gentle sloshing of water against his small boat. While some often went mad from the never ending silence, Aukai preferred it to the busy atmosphere of Taivi- the suffocating crowds and lack of privacy.

A smile graced Aukai’s face as he angled his sails, and cruised gently through the mild tides, his boat rocking comfortingly. Out here, there were no obligations, promises of marriage, stress of upholding his honor- no asking him things he couldn’t provide. It was just Aukai, and the ocean.

A part of him wished he could stay, forever.

****

Ten days and ten nights passed, and Aukai was deep in his voyage when he reached the Green Waters. They greeted him with docile tides and calm winds, a promise of safe fishing. So Aukai took down his sails, readied his pole, baited the line, and cast it out into the welcoming waters. He secured his rod to the boat, and proceeded to wait.

Hours passed, and the sun was nearly set before Aukai caught movement under the murky green sea. He stood attentive in his boat, peering over the rim and into the ocean. When nothing greeted him, Aukai thought he’d imagined it. The water was still, and not a soul stirred beneath the surface. But, just as Aukai was pulling away, a light reflected off of something in the water, at the keel of his boat- revealing a shimmer of auburn gold.

The shark.

His fishing rod tugged, resisting against its hold, and Aukai sprung into action.

He grabbed the pole, and battled with the shark- cranking the reel until his wrists ached and his knuckles turned white. The rod bent dangerously, the fishing line pulled taut, and Aukai used his upper body, now, twisting his torso and leaning back, battling the fish in its own domain- both of them calling for the full extent of their strength.

There was a splash- a resisting sound as the lean shark was brought to the surface, and struggled to retreat back into the water. But Aukai was strong, and he would not return home empty-handed. The fear of shame drove him to call upon the last reserves of his power.

With one final tug, he yanked the shark from the ocean, and reeled the spasming fish onto his boat. Though it was barely Aukai’s height, it shook the wooden vessel as it flopped about, smacking violently against the platform before it ultimately relented, narrow mouth gasping in vain, exposing sharp, tiny teeth. Its gills gaped pitifully.

The sharp placoid scales of the shark glimmered in an eerie way- reflecting the light of the setting sun in a brilliant show of red hues. It was like nothing Aukai had ever seen- like something straight from a fantasy.

Before he could take a moment to celebrate, there was a rumbling up ahead. The young man looked up at the sky, and fear sank his stomach to his feet when he saw thick, black clouds just west of him.

If he left now, he could try to outrun the storm.

Feeling victory lighten his steps, Aukai hoisted his sail, and made his way to the bow- tying the shark by its tail onto the mast, and raising it on display, so all would see his triumph when he returned.

The winds from the storm helped ease his boat home, but the rain soon caught up, and it came pouring down on Aukai. The dark waters roared with the typhoon, overcoming his small boat. Aukai tried in vain to fight the storm with arms that were sore, and a vigor that was freshly renewed. But the ocean was just as unrelenting, and it engulfed him.

Suddenly, among the chaos, Aukai heard a noise- one that pierced clear through the crash of waves, bustling of the wind, and claps of thunder. Fighting against the tide, Aukai felt an unnatural pull- a beckoning towards the storm. He angled his sails, and let the winds carry his small boat where they pleased.

Aukai was thrust directly into the storm- towards ruthless waves that towered tall above his boat, threatening to encompass it and drag him into the briny depths of the ocean before they inexplicably tamed. The rain settled, and the winds drew him into a clearing- the eye of the storm. Everything was unnaturally still.

The singing was clearer, now, and it brought Aukai a feeling of calm. It echoed hauntingly, an enticing and gentle hum that broke through the distant clamor of thunder and crash of tides. Aukai angled his sails just slightly, letting the gentle wind carry him towards the song. It grew louder the closer he came to it, and the words seemed to promise him things he couldn’t comprehend- a happiness he didn’t know he longed for.

That’s when he saw it- a face, peering at him from the waters, made visible from the moon that peeked through the storm clouds, and shone bright. It came closer, floating towards his boat, exposed from the mouth up, but the face was indistinguishable- as if it couldn’t decide on a shape to take. Aukai knew he should be scared- felt the instinct somewhere within him, but it was numbed. He only stared at the creature in the water, intrigued. The song coaxed him closer, a mystical, beautiful melody.

Aukai made his way to the stern, and peered into the waters. The creature was close, and what Aukai saw shocked him- froze him in place, and chilled his bones.

A tanned face, dotted with sunspots and smattered with freckles. Large dark eyes smiled at him, teasing in their manner. Lips stretched over teeth to reveal a wide grin. Brown hair was wet with the ocean, and it flopped onto his forehead- settling above thick brows.

“Kai,” Aukai breathed, and he leaned further over the boat’s edge, face peering into the water.

Kaito reached out a dripping hand, and grabbed onto the ledge of the boat, hoisting himself half out of the water. His other hand found Aukai’s shoulder. His fingers were cold and wet where they gripped him.

The song grew louder, and it fell from Kaito’s lips.

The hand tightened on his shoulder, drawing him close. Aukai could feel himself melt into the touch, eyelids heavy as he leaned forward, overcome with an inexplicable want. He watched Kaito sing, and made to reach out- to touch his face, and confirm this wasn’t a dream.

Then Aukai saw it- the flash of blue in Kaito’s eyes, and the sharpness of his teeth.

“No,” he murmured, fear jolting him out of a cloudy haze. He pulled away, snapped out of his reverie. But Kaito’s hand remained strong on his shoulder, and Aukai yanked back, trying to wrench free. He fought against Kaito’s grasp, and sharp claws dug tight into his flesh, drawing blood.

The siren’s face was clear, now, and its menacing eyes locked onto his own. A green and blue mesh of scales adorned the sides of its almost-human face, trailing down its bare neck, where gills laid. The scales dotted along its shoulders, and ended there- morphing into human skin. Its hair was as dark as seaweed, and fell down its back. And that mouth- it smiled at him, taunting, lips drawn over pointed teeth.

Aukai was desperate in his struggles, hand grasping onto the slick one that pulled at his arm. He tugged at it, shouted in protest, and thunder rumbled once again in the sky. The wind picked up, and the tides sloshed angrily at the side of his boat, spraying seawater onto the already soaked sailor.

The more Aukai resisted, the more the siren pulled, until he was hanging half out of his boat, with nothing keeping him on board but his legs locked onto the the wooden frame of it, and his free hand clutching at the ledge.

Summoning his strength, Aukai let go of the boat, and his hand flew to his belt, drawing his knife from its sheath. He stabbed it into the forearm of the siren, flinching when it released a deafening shriek.

The hand let go of his bloodied shoulder, and Aukai fell back into his boat, scrambling about the deck as he made his way to the sails.

The storm was a horrible torrent, mimicking the rage of the siren, and unleashing its wrath onto Aukai. His boat was pulled into the unyielding tide, to a promise of a watery grave. Aukai fought the winds, directing his sails as he guided himself through the calamity around him. Waves met his boat, crashing and brutal, and determined to bring its sailor under. But Aukai was filled with a new sense of determination, and he would not surrender to the ocean. So he fought, and prevailed.

The siren’s wails grew dimmer as the young man sailed away, leaving behind its song, and the illusion it had presented him with- the image of Kai’s face. The further he sailed, the bluer the sea got under the lazy glow of the moon, until he’d left the Green Waters far behind.

Once he’d made his way out of the storm, the rope holding his shark up snapped, and Aukai yelped before he grabbed at it, snatching the fish before the ocean could reclaim it, and clutching the thing to his chest. Its sharp skin dug into his hands, and hot blood coated his palms. Red painted the golden scales, dripping between the crevices of them.

Aukai collapsed onto the floor of his boat, letting the rocking of it settle as he caught his breath, fingers curled tight around the fish in his arms. Its golden skin seemed to shimmer in the moonlight enticingly before it settled, bathed in a wash of dull grey. He could still hear the siren’s song in his head- could see Kai’s face, smiling and beckoning him into the ocean.

The shark seemed heavier in his arms.

Standing on his trembling legs, Aukai looked out into the ocean- back into the waves that nearly drowned him, but were settled, now. Then he looked at the fish in his bloody hands- his prized trophy. His heart sunk in his chest, weighed him down like lead. A resolve overcame him, and he walked to the edge of the boat.

Aukai released the shark into the ocean, and let the tides draw it away.

© 2017 modandan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on November 12, 2017
Last Updated on November 12, 2017
Tags: supernatural, short story, fantasy, sailor

Author

modandan
modandan

Santa Barbara, CA



About
My name is Mo. I write stories, and sometimes they're pretty neat. more..

Writing
Summary Summary

A Chapter by modandan


Red Red

A Story by modandan