Red Polish

Red Polish

A Poem by Mel Lisa
"

Story/Poem based on true events.

"

To you, my guardian of time, with long white hair, olive skin and eyes like the abyss.


 I found a small broken glass bottle, leaking red and inhaled at the age of six. She sat on the hot concrete, under the warm Caribbean sun painting away preparing for this day.  So naïve to the consequence or purposely ignoring the risk, she worked transfixed.


 It was as if her spirit took complete control and she was simply watching diligently as this small and fragile girl sat legs crossed, gently gliding the wet thick redness over each nail, ignoring the cost.  

It felt familiar, almost instinctive, with each stroke she found security. Her world was filled with ugliness and here she found some beauty. Did it rise up from beneath the hot earth or was it cast down from the heavens along with the pelting rain?  But like the murky stream her cares ran down the drain.

These  grounds were like graves, daily she would bury her tears it seems. They would grow like vines along the walls and against barred windows that echoed her hopes and dreams. The metal gates  bolted with chains and locks were meant to keep the "ungodly" at bay. Yet somehow inside this prison where a purposeful soul dies…a small bottle with red polish found its way.

Why do we climb to the very top…only to fall never to fly?


Why is it a struggle to be human, to be loved?


Why is the cost so high?

 

To combat painful strikes for this sin, she became numb. Facing monsters with human features, she was so young. Yet in her I found no hate, she managed to keep that sweet state. Their inflictions left her flesh permanently scarred. But her spirit they could not touch, her heart could not be barred.

Their words rendered her useless and weak but at the age of six 

I sat there, quiet, steady and fixed.

 Now do you see? This was me...

on the concrete floor under the Caribbean sun, painting red boldly, fearlessly, becoming free.



-MeleciaG 2014 

© 2014 Mel Lisa


Author's Note

Mel Lisa
Please leave comments, suggestions. Be courteous and kind:) thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
incredibly strong and powerful work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

9 Years Ago

thank you very much:)
I had to read this poem twice to understand what was going on, and it was fantastic. It was like a puzzle, figuring out the meaning to the words. Although I can't relate, I was engaged, and the ending was brilliant. It felt like the 'drop' on a music track.


Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

thank you. glad you enjoyed reading.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
growing up with that in your life...you are very strong. Your poem shows your strength. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

thank you and your welcome, yes it has made me resilient! lol
ron

10 Years Ago

I can pick that up in your poem.
this write intrigued me...the girl, the red like a rose...loving herself even with her plight.

and it interested me because of the Caribbean ...my folks lived in Trinidad for two and a half years.

i spent time there, so i can imagine this...my dad fished off the coast across from venezuela...the atmosphere here reminded me of that.
thank you for bringing me back...even though i was not painting my nails while reading this...i felt it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

lol. yes glad I was able to give you that home feeling. I love the Caribbean, and I miss it some day.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

10 Years Ago

it is a beautiful place...i have one really fond memory...in my parents' backyard fishing in the res.. read more
I felt not only your escape but your sense of pride. Enjoyed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

thank you very much!
A profound yet enlightening poetic write, despite the heartache like the pheonix from the ashes, you ascended to fly majestic and serene for the world to view !

An evoking, stimulating piece of literature, splendid !!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Holy Caribbean red this is an achingly poignant read. Took me many places in my mind, and the ending was killer, I don't usually read stories here but something told me to read this one, so glad I did. Awesome read Melecia.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much Frieda! Glad you enjoyed this:)
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

My pleasure I enjoyed your bittersweet story Melecia. :-)
Wow, this is a nice prose piece, I like it a lot!
If I may ask, how inspired is this by true events?- I'd hate to think of a writer like you imprisoned behind the iron bars of religion (Christianity?) :(
But it sounds like you're looking back at a younger you and by this time you've freed yourself. I hope you were able to find success, love, and yourself outside of those restraints.
Not sure about the person portrayed at the beginning of the story- Whats the backstory there?
And I think the first 'I' is supposed to be 'she'?
Good imagery, nice metaphors, love the implications in here. The reference to Icarus was well-insterted, and adds well to the overall picture created here, especially since Greek legend probably fits into the category of "ungodly".
Overall, very well-done!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

"they were monsters to me, evil people who were full of hate and malice. how is that Christian like?.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

and the person in the beginning is my older self looking back:)
This gave me a very vivid picture. Our childhoods seem very different yet emotionally mirrored. I connected with it very much.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

And I am honored to make such personal connection! thanks for reading!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

666 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 23, 2014
Last Updated on February 27, 2014
Tags: story, poems, inspirational, Red Polish, MeleciaG

Author

Mel Lisa
Mel Lisa

New York, NY



About
Hi my name is Mel and I love writing. I have been writing poetry all my life. I love the freedom it allows for an artistic soul to express their inner most thoughts !. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..