The Red

The Red

A Poem by Meeks
"

Don't look at it

"


© 2015 Meeks


Author's Note

Meeks
This is a post-modern piece.
There is actually a bit meaning to this piece than meets the eye. Comment if you think you've figured it out...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My eyes were drawn over and over to the red words, it was as if the more I tried, the more in failed. How creative!

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think you have personified the trick of being overly impressed by a color
forgetting that its only a shade
among so many other shades

i guess life is a balance

this is an extremely creative piece

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing. Speaking of color, very interesting profile picture you have there, though I g.. read more
Red holds a lot of meaning. It catches the eyes, drawing out a lot whole of meaning. It's an ambiguous color, word, symbol, and name.

The meaning depends from the reader. Very nice. Thanks for sharing this piece! Thanks a lot! Very nice! I also like what you did with your style.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

I'm not really sure why I chose red. Guess it just meant 'danger', or 'look at me', and I decided it.. read more
TheMalady

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome! :) Though I must say you've chosen a very powerful word. It fit in the poem. Ke.. read more
I guess everybody pretends not to notice what is different (in life, other people etc). We see the "red", but pretend it doesn't exist, and doing that makes us uncomfortable. We do it because that is what society ("the text" I guess) tells us to do.

We're told not to look at things that make us different, but we still notice them anyway. If we could just get past differences (either trying to ignore then or truly ignoring them) we could move on and see people as humans, and not focus and judge based on outward traits.

Also I'm not sure if this is purposeful, but if I tilt the screen on my laptop, I can see a few words are a different color.
"Don't look.... Black... more... color...sucking...horrible... to the normal Black text all around"

Doesn't make any sense that way though.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hmmm, this piece is different...and I believe it is different in a rather good way! Naturally, my eyes were attracted to the red as soon as the poem loaded, so I already failed that class lol. It was an interesting challenge, and the way you set up the poem itself really works with this kind of thing you are doing. I always love it when writers on this site try something new, as it always shows that those writers care about creativity. Great job, my friend! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. I try to be as creative as possible, doesn't always work out of course. But I.. read more
Very nice diversion to start my day. In my past life I use to explain how little color would make a piece pop or get a message across. A true lovely piece and lots of fun.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Well, I can't say I listened to any of your explanations, but I guess the idea isn't new. Anyway, th.. read more

A play of meaning - red/read may also be read.

What is forbidden to look at - the 'red' stop sign draws attention.

The 'normal' black text invites reflection.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. It does kind of draw reflection, good notice.
Do not take things at face value because they are usually not what they seem.

The thing with the red is also called the white bear or ironic effect, see : http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/10/unwanted-thoughts.aspx

Well done. Could you review me.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Thanks fkr the review.
Ok so this is just my opinion, but when I read this poem, the hidden message that I got was to not judge a person by the color of their skin becuase they are more than just the color of their skin and we need to see what is "behind the color" and what is hidden down deep. People are more than the color of their skin. I really enjoyed reading this poem, and I liked how you added the color effects to add emphasis to it. Great effect. Overall, I would say this is a very good poem. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

Again, close as ever. I think people try to get it perfect too much, the message is actually very ge.. read more
Sue me, I have looked at the red. ;-;
I'm sorry, it's my favourite colour, and it just kept pounding in my head, that I needed a tiny glimpse.

So... My guess is, the red represents something bad, and you're trying to keep yourself from looking at it, being reminded of it, to focus on what's not bad, (which would be the black)

or that there's this person... who's neglected, or goes unnoticed, when there's someone, more extravagant there, but who is still special or has something hidden inside it?

Or maybe the temptation people can feel, and find hard to resist, leading them to forget of the black? So it would be like a message to remember, or consider something outside of the red...

Or maybe even, how something can consume you...

I might just be here trying to decipher what you're trying to say while you giggle evilly like in a cartoon as I fail at deciding what it means....

Or I get close to what you're saying, or not at all...

The darkness around a light can make it seem brighter?

Red is eye catching?

Lot's of things are red, but more stuff is black?

something about races, and who a person is, not what colour their skin is?

I loved it anyway, even if I didn't get the message behind =)

100

Posted 8 Years Ago


Meeks

8 Years Ago

If I make meanings, they are usually very wide and general. Your second guess would be closest to w.. read more
Crimson Apples

8 Years Ago

lol. No, it's awesome, and lot's of people usually have divergent meanings behind their writing. I w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1105 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 11, 2015
Last Updated on December 11, 2015

Author

Meeks
Meeks

Poland



About
Hey guys! I'm a sixteen year old writer trying desperately to make something publish-worthy. In the meantime, I hand out useful critiques and comments. Currently trying to work on something diffe.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Meeks


There Was There Was

A Book by Meeks



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..